Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Ski Shop Best For Boot Fit In Glasgow?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to purchase a new pair of boots for this season. Going for foam injection . If anbody has had any experiences good or bad, a review would help me make a choice.

The shops that spring to mind in Glasgow area are Greaves Sports, Blues, Ellis B, Nevis Sports.

Thanks for Info in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got a pair of boots from Ellis Brigham, Breahead last month and the wee ginger boot fitter knew his stuff and sorted me out....
I'm sure others will be along to recomend other places but I can only coment on the service I recived I was very happy with it Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SCOTT, Blues at Tiso Outdoor Experience, ask for Shona, she knows her stuff Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SCOTT, not sure i can think of anywhere in glasgow that does foam liners....... if you find someone... make sure that the shell fits properly in size, shape and volume, foam liners are often used to just fill up gaps in badly fitted shells
foam liners are not always the solution that people think they are, it is a chemical reaction and you get one hit, if the fitter is not really good then you will need a lot of luck, possible variables are.... temperature of the room, temperature which the foam was stored, age of the foam kit, did the tech get all the catalyst into the foam, how long did they shake the bottle for, how vigerously did they shake the bottle, when did they clip the clips , how tightly do they clip the clips, do you [the customer] follow the instructions they give you. etc. etc.

I am not trying to talk you out of this but, how much skiing are you doing?, do you have a specific reason for them? are you looking for comfort or performance?, there may be better options
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi,

I think Nevis Sports has closed down, I got my boots in there 2 years ago but if they are still open I wouldn't recommend them. The guy who served me didn't seem to have much a clue (although staff would probably have changed by now) and I didn't have much of a clue either, so ended up with a pair of boots that didn't fit well at all.

Ellis Brigham seemed to know their stuff when I was looking at buying skis, so maybe they would be ok for boots.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SCOTT, , I agree with ickabodblue,
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the Info people. I ski quite a number of times over the season. Its about 8 years since I bought my last batch of equipment, so time for a change.
A few of my friends have had there boots foam lined a number of years ago and rave about it.

I have never been entirely happy with my last pair of boots. I take nobody has used Greaves Sports before for Foam Inject ??????. I got my first Ski and boot set there all 28 years ago at 4 years old (ok, back to 2008).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SCOTT, Greaves is an excellent shop and if you were determined to go there, ask for Gordon as he seems to be the guy in the know but it is hit or miss with them. A couple of the girls that work on the ski dept have never even skied Shocked The after sales service from Greaves in excellent though. I bought a pair of Tecnica Rival X8 from them a few years back and found a wee problem with the toe area after going away skiing with them. They did a heat expansion thing around the toe area which did seem to work, but ultimately I treated myself (pre credit crunch) to a pair of custom moulded boots from Strolz in Lech and have to say that they are excellent. They are foam injected too (weird experience by the way). If going to Lech for Strolz boots is a bit more excessive than a trip to Greaves/Tiso, then I would probably opt for Shona at Tiso/Blues. Shona is very experienced and has worked in Blues for as long as I can remember plus was (and possibly still is) a ski instructor at Bellahouston. My mate has been buying boots from there for him the wife and kids for years now and swears by them, although he bought a paid of Strolz boots this year too.
Ellis Brigham MAY have a try before you buy thing - they certainly do for the skis at Braehead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ellis Brigham did have a deal where if you were not happy with your boots before 2 weeks skiing had passed you could return them for 75% of your money back.. they did not appreciate it when I returned boots in hand but it is (was?!) a policy!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you get Ellis Brigham to custom fit your boots, they are gauranteed for 2 years.
You can take them back any time for tweaking etc....
i've been back twice and i recon i'll be back on saturday after a burn @ Xscape.
hope this helps.
Little Angel
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kev360, just think for that £20 you could be buying a lift pass at a Scottish Ski resort and getting a full days skiing in. Jus' sayin' wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bought mine in Blues last month, they seem fine, but I was with my dad on saturday when he got his boots at Ellis Brigham and they seemed to do a much more in-depth fitting service. (despite it being on a busy saturday morning.)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fergus,

Thanks for reply. Was that a Boot Fit and/or with heated Liners or Foam Inject?.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
another vote for Blues here - my wife and I both bought new boots this year, and I was impressed with the level of care and attention to detail that we received from 2 different staff. Of course the proof of the pudding is in the quality of the eventual fit, and we both tried them out at the Lecht on Saturday and were rewarded with a comfortable days skiing in the boot department.

I haven't tried the other shops so can't give a comparison, but I would recommend Blues based on our experience.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SCOTT wrote:
Fergus,

Thanks for reply. Was that a Boot Fit and/or with heated Liners or Foam Inject?.

eek, dunno really Confused

At Blues I got some Salomon Falcon cs boots, no custom footbed or anything, just the boot with the liner heated up and then 'shaped' to my feet.

At E-B My dad came out with Nordica Speedmachine 10s, with a 'heel stabaliser' whatever that is. He also got the custom footbeds. He was served by 'Tom.'

I was less willing to spend heaps of cash so probably didn't make use of all of Blues' service but I just thought that the guy that served my dad in E-B knew more what he was talking about.

If you've got time, go to both shops and have a noesey around and see how you feel.
snow report
This thread is a bit old but I thought it worth giving an update on recent experiences:

GREAVES (@ Gordon St branch) - just used them for getting a new pair of Sidas Conformable foam liners (partially cos they had my size in stock, were helpful and reassuring over the phone - eg. that he had done hundreds and has them himself). Done by Gordon who is the ski dept head and hardware buyer. He's been there 15 years. Very methodical and careful (generally but specifically with the foam liner process), good communication to let you know what was going on. And we started at 5pm and finished at 7pm - the shop normally closes at 6pm! Really can't fault the service. Would highly recommend.
(They also had a good range of boots - including some freeride, touring and a telemark boot - Scarpa Freedom and Freedom SLs, Scarpa Maestrale - and a nice range of skis - nice K2 all mountain range, Trab etc. Anyone in need of an axe - they had a good value Camp model at £55. And some nice gear from Marmot and Patagonia. Some good late season deals too.)

ELLIS BRIGHAM (@ Breahead) - talked to them and very helpful but did not do the foam liner. They used to have a woman who was very experienced but I think she is now area manager for Nevisport! However I was impressed enough to take my wife along and get her new boots there - really good methodical, careful boot fitting and good recommendations on models. Happily recommend. And not as crazily busy as you might think even at weekend!
(Again, good range of stuff including some good ski day-packs, shovels, probes etc. And Whitedot skis!)

BLUES - did not use but I know a mate who recently had foam liners done there and very happy. So you probably won't go wrong there either.

Anyway just a quick wee update on state of boot buying in Glasgow!
snow conditions
Many many years ago in Flaine i bought a pair foam injected boots which I thought would have me performing like a ski god. Turned out they were the most painful fitting boots I've ever had. They were absolute agony up to the point where my feet would go numb and I would lose all feeling below the ankle. I skied like a turd that season. Never again, I've fitted my own boots since as I've only had to make minor adjustments but I would see a recommended boot fitter if I needed to.
latest report
ScaryG, I've had two pairs of foamed liners. The first were OK, but nothing to write home about, the second, current ones, thanks to the SOLE brothers, are a delight.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy