Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st ski holiday advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there.... We've just booked our first skiing holiday with our 13 and 10 year old children, departing 27th dec for Livigno Italy staying at the marco galli apartments. snowHead
I would really appreciate all the advice hints and tips you guys are willing to give. Especially on how much gear i need to be taking for a week... i have a tendency to overpack most holidays Embarassed so i guess this one will be no exception.
Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
leeannem119,

Welcome to snowheads. Been to Livigno twice. Great resort with a fantastic snow record. You will need pair of ski leggings and ski coat. Worth investing in a good pair of gloves too. Bring plenty of layers as Livigno can be a relatively cold resort.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You probably can't overpack clothes wise esp if self-catering. What have you got so far? Beg borrow or steal before buying unless you are convinced you will go again.
Are you all beginners? Book lessons. Search the site for info, there's lots of it and mostly good. Above all relax, it's a holiday not an endurance test, have fun.

Oh, and welcome to snowHead s
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some (many) people will disagree with this but here is somewhere to start

http://www.folgarida.co.uk/Folgarida_articles_PackandEquipment.htm

Good luck with your holiday and have a brill time
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowHeads leeannem119 snowHead

Oh, stacks of potential to overpack on a ski holiday. You need lounging around gear to wear in the apartment, ski gear during the day. And of course evening wear for, the evening. All clean on each day. Unless you're a bloke and wear the same socks all week, the evening t-shirt to ski in the next day - and underpants to be worn inside and out, front and back Skullie . All of which have been mentioned by sHs here wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
leeannem119, welcome to Snowheads, and skiing. snowHead Great to be going on your first holiday. You'll need lots of layers to keep yourselves warm (though sometimes it's really not cold at all - no way of knowing in advance).

I don't really agree that you "can't overpack" clothes-wise and I'm not sure what self-catering has to do with it. In my experience the most usual mistake for "first timers" is assuming that evenings will be some mind of fashion parade requiring a different outfit every night. Apart from your ski gear you'll need maybe two sets of "apres ski" things. If you eat out, you might find it very cold for ten minutes getting there, and very hot inside; I find you need to be able to strip off to a vest top once inside many restaurants. Layers again. People tend not to be "dressed up" in the evenings in ski resorts and because pavements are often quite icy/snowy you'll need sensible shoes once you step outside. If you travel in fairly strong walking shoes/boots (trainers are not too great - can get very wet and slippery) and take a pair of soft shoes/slippers for indoors, you won't really need anything else.

If you're buying new ski clothes, T K Maxx have a lot of good stuff at a discount. But borrowing clothes (and ideas) from friends who ski is also a good idea.

Have you booked your ski lessons?

You'll have a ball.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the very prompt replies so far... In reply to halfhand... my husband skis and my son boards both have been taking lessons at MK snozone since May taking several trips per week... however would still like to have more lessons there so will research a bit more for that.
I did say i have the tendency to overpack.... having read your link wayne it suggests one of everything.... i've already bought 2 sets outerwear, 1 boots, goggles, helmet and 6 sets of base layers each ( i figured these were just like changing undies) as well as fleece/jumpers... Embarassed
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And for the definitive list of what to take away with you - here is a snowHeads classic:

John Hill's All Star (Guaranteed to Forget Nothing) Ski Trip Checklist

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

6 sets of base layers each

Shocked
Strongly recommend lessons if you have any money left over after buying that lot. Real snow is different (and heaps easier/more fun) and they'll be able to skip the beginners class. Wot about the other two of you? You won't be too busy washing undies, that's for sure.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
leeannem119 wrote:
having read your link wayne it suggests one of everything.... i've already bought 2 sets outerwear, 1 boots, goggles, helmet and 6 sets of base layers each ( i figured these were just like changing undies) as well as fleece/jumpers... Embarassed

I didn’t write that - I does not mention a jar of marmite which I feel is essential.
(have you ever tried to buy some Marmite abroad)

The best advice was from Halfhand
halfhand wrote:
Above all relax, it's a holiday not an endurance test, have fun.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
leeannem119, welcome to snowHead s

I don't know if you have seen this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621

It sounds like you are a pretty organised family - remember to have fun too. There is only one problem with starting skiing and introducing the habit to your children - it is extremely addictive - and you will be paying for holidays for your children for many years.
This Christmas we are going away with our "children" aged 22,19 and 17 - and for the first time the 22yr old is contributing to (note, not "paying for") his costs.
However, I wouldn't have it any other way; it means that your children will always want to come on holiday with their boring old parents.

Have a great time, but be prepared for a step-change in your holiday expectations Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
well my daughter tried skiing and i tried boarding but neither of us liked it so we're happy to tag along for the ride and make good use of that duty free shopping village! I'm sure we'll enjoy toboggan and various other activities.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
leeannem119, Base layers should be changed hourly rather than daily as some unhygenic snowHead 's have cruelly suggested... wink

Ah, your first ski trip.... I am so jealous, you have the whole experience of falling in love with snow still in fromt of you.... sigh...

Your nerves are understandable, but will be forgotten in about 10 seconds once you're on the mountain. You MUST tell us how you got on when you get back! Very Happy

p.s. - do you have helmets?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
leeannem119, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
Livigno is a good ski resort, the only drawback is the long transfer time. When we flew into Bergamo airport it was a 5 hour coach transfer Shocked (although that included a half hour stop midway for toilets and a coffee/snack if you wanted one), so you may be arriving into resort quite late in the evening, in which case on your first night you won't want to be self catering but can always go out for a meal.

As you say it is a duty free resort, so try out the Bombardinos!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
leeannem119, but did you try in a snowdome? Don't give up. Please don't give up. You might get on better with skiing (it's a less painful learning curve). You and your daughter could do beginners classes together and fall in love with sliding around on snow.

Besides, if you don't go skiing, what a terrible waste of a shed-load of base layers!
snow conditions
haha... so nick... nice to know i'll be in for the long haul. We're already looking at another for Feb and we haven't even tasted powder yet! Laughing Laughing
I haven't given up completely Pam, i'm planning on talking my daughter into a second go on the real thing as we only tried indoor.
We're flying into Verona Brescia Airport. Puzzled Not sure on the transfer distance.... hoping its not the 5 hrs Alistair Sad
snow report
cathy wrote:
And for the definitive list of what to take away with you - here is a snowHeads classic:

John Hill's All Star (Guaranteed to Forget Nothing) Ski Trip Checklist

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

And for the followup, which was even more of a classic :

Paul Mason in freak laminator accident

Do yourselves a favour and read that one Very Happy
ski holidays
pam w, No I don't know why SC should be relevant it just seemed so when i typed it Confused Hey ho it's nearly Christmas. Little Angel
snow conditions
leeannem119, I agree with pam w, definately give skiing a go in resort. It will be totally different and I'm sure by the end of your holiday you'll be as hooked as the rest of us on snowHead 's.

Have a great time and don't forget to post us a report on your return!!

p.s. Welcome to Snowheads
snow report
leeannem119 wrote:
.. I haven't given up completely Pam, i'm planning on talking my daughter into a second go on the real thing as we only tried indoor.(
The two experiences definately dont compare. Please dont expect to pick this up in an odd hour at a snowdome nor be an expert on the first day on the real stuff. I take it you and daughter are booked in for lessons for the week? Please stay with it. Smile
snow conditions
leeannem119, Welcome to Snow Heads snowHead I've been to Livigno and it was great but as others have said, very cold (it's not known as Little Tibet for nothing Very Happy ) - you WILL get hot learning to ski though, so thin layers are better than chunky jumpers. As for the transfer, I can't remember where we flew into, but the transfer is a long one from any airport and 5 hours isn't excessive, but at the upper end of what to expect. Take something to read or an ipod for the journey, and maybe a snack/drink, although most transfer coaches do make a stop en route for the loo, etc. Have fun - you'll love it!
latest report
Quote:

definately give skiing a go in resort

You'll find we're a bossy lot on Snowheads. So, I am now going to suggest that you don't just hire some skis and lollop around together giving it a go. That's OK for 15 year old skateboarder lads teaching themselves to snowboard (though not ideal) but it's a Really Bad Idea for a more mature lady and sensible lass who have already been a bit discouraged by their snowdome experience.

You will have the option either of joining a complete beginners class (where you will probably be amongst the quicker learners, which is always nice) or having private lessons. The group will be cheaper, maybe more fun (Italians in ski school usually seem to laugh a lot) but you would probably learn quicker in a private lesson. BMF_Skier is right. You need to book in for a week and stick with it. Go every day, whatever the weather. There's usually a morning when it all seems to fall apart and you can't do anything right (often around Wednesday) followed by a "breakthrough" lesson next day. If you've paid in advance for lessons, a lift pass and ski hire for the week you're less likely to give up.

Your OH and son should be strongly encouraging this because their future lifetime of ski holidays is going to become a battleground if half the family don't like it. wink
ski holidays
Yes, good lessons are definitely well worth the money. I had a really crappy start to learning to ski, with friends showing me and then a couple of weeks of ESF 'follow me'. If I knew then what I know now......
ski holidays
Wags, I agree! By the way, has anyone seen John Hill and Bode Swiller in the same room? Confused Hmmmm......
latest report
leeannem119, welcome to snowHeads and have a great first ski holiday. The advice from pam w is spot on, and I really hope you will follow her suggestions as I think you'll be surprised that you really like it. Maybe start out with skiing as well, I think the first week on skis is a bit less daunting than the first week on a board.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

definately give skiing a go in resort

There's usually a morning when it all seems to fall apart and you can't do anything right (often around Wednesday) followed by a "breakthrough" lesson next day. If you've paid in advance for lessons, a lift pass and ski hire for the week you're less likely to give up.

Your OH and son should be strongly encouraging this because their future lifetime of ski holidays is going to become a battleground if half the family don't like it. wink

After a almost unbelievably inept start (I couldn't do ANYTHING the instructor showed us and the rest of the class seemed to have no problem with) it clicked on the 3rd morning, just as I was about to give up. As pam w says, it was only the thought of what it had all cost me, that kept me going and got me into class on the 3rd day. I have since found out that this is very common - if any beginners have come skiing with us since, I've urged them to carry on through the first couple of days. It's a bit like riding a bike - once you can do it, you never forget how Very Happy
latest report
leeannem119 wrote:

We're flying into Verona Brescia Airport. Puzzled Not sure on the transfer distance.... hoping its not the 5 hrs Alistair Sad

Viamichelin gives 3.5 hours (179Km).

Most of it is off motorway, but decent roads, so a coach should be reaosnably quick. But still likely a little more than viamichelin suggests.
snow conditions
Why are there so many airports in that not highly populated area of Italy?

You have Milan Linate, "milan" Bergamo, "Verona" Breschia and Verona all within 145 Km.

That is without counting the other Milan airports or Bolzano.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks everyone.... all points well noted! wink
We're all so excited about going.... shame that christmas isn't even getting a look in.... the kids talk about our trip more than what they want for christmas.... might even get to save a few extra pennies as they don't want much. Laughing Laughing
So i guess i'llbe spending a few days loading up the ipods with tunes and movies!
Any suggestions on food.... better to take a few supplies? (for the fussy eating mob) or even the best place to shopfor groceries as we are sc for this trip. Puzzled
snow report
leeannem119, welcome to snowHeads and enjoy!! Both here and on your trip... snowHead

pam w makes some excellent suggestions gear-wise and I've nothing to add there.

I went to Livigno for the first time last season with the SO who was experiencing her 3rd week on the white stuff. I'd say you've made a great choice of resort to learn in. Plenty of beginner slopes right at resort level, so easy to get lessons and get to lessons, potter about, start and stop as often as you feel comfortable with. The SO went from nervy 3rd weeker to being confident on some reds as the week went on - testament to some good instruction (one to one) and confidence building beginner slopes that are not too long and easily accessible.

For progression to slightly more challenging slopes, it again can all be done within easy reach of the resort area.

Livigno seems to have had a bumper start to the season snow-wise, although it's record is pretty good anyway.

As for groceries, there are plenty of options - unless you have some bizarre tates, you should find pretty much what you need. SC accommodation is very popular in Livigno, so they're well geared up in that respect.

Have a great time and don't forget to come back and tell us all about how hooked you are on skiing snowHead
snow conditions
Where's that thread about what to carry in your backpack?

Edit: here it is - read down to Lizzard's and FastEddie's posts and watch mayhem ensue:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=861676&highlight=otter#861676
snow report
Hi Hi, my boyfriend has just started his first ski season in Morzine!

Now, he's a snowboarder and has been on numerous ski holidays with his family. I on the other hand have neevr really seen much snow! Im going to visit him for 10 days in Jan, and wondered what on earth to wear there??!!?!?!

iv got my ski jacket and trousers already, although iv never ski'ed and not too sure that i'll be doing much skiing anyways, i'll borrow gloves and goggles from friends, i have my thermals and hat/scarf etc...

but other than that what do i need?!?!?! iv asked him this question, but, he's not much for understanding my confusion on clothing/shoe needs! Help!

Thanks Laughing
latest report
Quote:

he's not much for understanding my confusion on clothing/shoe needs

I can imagine. rolling eyes Problem is, it's difficult to know what conditions to expect underfoot - depends on whether snow is plentiful and recent, or all cleared away. Either way, you need flat shoes/boots with soles with a good grip. I find ordinary trainers absolutely lethal. If the pavements are slippy and icy, a pair of ski poles can make you feel safer (albeit like an old lady). You seem to have all the basic gear - the thing is to have layers so if it's not too cold you could just wear a thin thermal/fleece with your ski jacket on top, but if it's cold, you'll probably want an extra layer. Trouble is that the restaurants and bars tend to be very hot - so you have to strip off when you get in there. In some cases a vest top will be all you need indoors, in a crowded bar in the evening. And a pair of jeans......

Most places are kept pretty warm, so just ordinary clothes inside. Most ski places are pretty informal. Soft indoor shoes are a good idea - you won't be popular clomping wet and snow inside.

Where will you be staying? Some seasonnaire accommodation won't allow visitors to stay, and most of it is very cramped. Some of it is pretty rank.....

You'll have a great time. Try to do some skiing, though. snowHead
snow report
leeannem119, Livigno's a great place to start as it's not a hardcore resort (except for those that use the guides and are prepared for some hiking . . . that's when it can be as serious as any of the bigger boys) The great treat of the place is that it's full of people like yourself, taking their first baby slides, the rest are people who keep coming back because the place is more about having a holiday than just being there for the sport.

A head's up on temperatures. This is the high Alps and I've personally seen -23 on the street clocks. So be prepared if you're off for a night's session. Daytime temps are usually in the more normal -2 to -7 range.

The buses (3 routes) are very regular and free. They operate on circuits as much of the town is a one way system.

I love the place, just relax and have fun
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy