Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Montets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Normally ski in Verbier and area, but plan to make a trip over to Argentiere next week.

What is the black (Piste de Point Vue) from the top of the Grand Montet like ??, is it similar to Mont Fort and Tortin in Verbier, also the other blacks from the mid station Piste de Pylones and Piste De Blanchos.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thunderer wrote:
Normally ski in Verbier and area, but plan to make a trip over to Argentiere next week.

What is the black (Piste de Point Vue) from the top of the Grand Montet like ??, is it similar to Mont Fort and Tortin in Verbier, also the other blacks from the mid station Piste de Pylones and Piste De Blanchos.

IME yes for pitches due to mogullage, pitches probably aren't as long as Tortin. Can't remember what Blanchos is.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thunderer, if your happy on Tortin and Mont Fort you will have no problems on piste at GM, the top section of the cable car is not open yet but they are getting it ready.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jbob, do you know when it's opening?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info,

Do you pay extra for the Grand Montet cable car, I heard it can be very busy, what will the queues be like next week, also queues in 2nd week of January

fatbob " IME yes for pitches due to mogullage" sorry don't understand !!!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sideshow_Bob, no one does except the management but there will be a stampede, but if they are preparing it could be in the next few days. thunderer, Its included in the larger area pass or 10 euro extra for le pass. I dont think the queues will be horrendous as the holiday makers have not arrived yet, but will be the day it opens.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob, thanks. I'm in Cham Friday through Sunday and hope they open a bit more of the mountain. It's a bummer only having the Grands Montets open (tho out of all the areas I'd have chosen it) and extra bummer there being only two or three lifts/pistes open. To top it all off I stupidly booked the pass through the tour operator (SkiWeekends) and they charged me £90 for the three days Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thunderer, it is great...snow- views, steep, not busy- great snow to the sides but don't fall in a hole...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sideshow_Bob, it is indeed a bummer. It would make it so much easier if someone could invent a universal communication system where you could book travel, accommodation and lift passes yourself and not over pay because you fall into the tour operators cracks. As opposed to the chalet girls', errr, whatever.

I'd call it the "Internet". But maybe I'm thinking too far ahead... Thinking ahead for you, AFAIK only the GMs will be open. If you hear about anything else opening please forgive my cheekiness and let me know. I got caught out timewise yesterday thinking that no-one else in the world would want to ski on the first bluesky-powder day of the season. Doh!!!

thunderer, if the queues are anything like yesterday (and I see no reason why not other than a lightly dodgier weather forecast) there was around a 2 1/2 hour wait to get up the GMs at 11h00. OK, we could have got out of bed earlier. If they open the chairlift access there shouldn't be a problem. As far as I'm told, there was no issue once on the mountain.

The Point de vue can can vary from vile to sublime. Depends on conditions. IMO, Tortin is pants. Crap bumps, crap gradient, slightly off camber, too many wannabees. PdV is a little (I think, haven't measured it) less steep that the top pitch at Mont Fort (I assume you mean the piste...). The bumps are often very fine, The snow is often very nice. The last time I skied it was end of May '07 after a hard freeze and it was vile. You take what you get.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I guess the big big problem is the Brevent upgrade, anyone know if its on course to open at Xmas? If it does not then there could be f long queues over the holidays!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name,
Quote:

PdV is a little (I think, haven't measured it) less steep that the top pitch at Mont Fort

I think so too. I decided against skiing Mont Fort last season but have never bottled out of PdV (but have never experienced it hard frozen either.)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry I know nothing about the balck runs there, but I just thought I would mention I spent my honeymoon in Argentiere, everyone though we were so romantic getting married on 13th February until I pointed out it was the best time for snow! We were only beginners at the time and very nearly had the quickest divorce in history when I convinced my wife that it would be a good idea on our last day to "just traverse across this off piste bit and we should find the top of the blue we haven't done". It is a long story told many times since over a few bevvies but suffice it to say we ended up getting down to the base at 6:30pm in total darkness with me only having one of the two skis I had rented and very glad indeed that we had not ended up in a crevasse! Come to think of it, 15 years later, my wife still won't trust me on one of my little excursions Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thunderer wrote:

fatbob " IME yes for pitches due to mogullage" sorry don't understand !!!!

Similar when its not snowed much recently in that they have pitches which mogul up to a similar degree. Certainly not significantly harder than Tortin or Mont Fort unless you've only skied the latter on bottomless powder days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob, AFAIK, it's still due to open Dec 20. Bubbles have been seen circulating. I've heard the current delay is something to do with certification and the usual French bureaucracy. Or maybe the post office has run out of packets of large brown envelopes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy