Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach in 6 weeks

Poster: A snowHead
We're off to Saalbach in 6 weeks(!), with Neilson first time I've been with a TO so I hope they and the hotel are ok Confused

I was hoping some fellow snowHead's could fill me in on some good places to to eat, drink and be merry! Very Happy

What restaurants are worth going to? Which bars are best to frequent?

Also, are there any good places for WiFi access?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bobbys bar! Is where it all happens at night. The goatstall in hinterglem is great for apres but you will need to taxi back to saalbach.

Great resort. Most of the mountain restraunts are pretty good there is that has a horse stable in it, and again the goatstall bar does great food

I know someone teaching out there so let me know if you need anything.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went to Hinterglemm with Neilson a few years ago - they were very good, efficient but unobtrusive. As Fattes13 says - the Goatstall is legendary Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scottland, what are your actual dates that you are going?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scottland, ditch your hotel meal on the Friday night and book yourselves into the Hotel Peter for the best steak, cooked at your table by Herr Peter - followed by his magic show. Surreal doesn't even begin to describe the experience. The food is simply excellent, so book the day you get there if interested!

http://www.hotel-peter.at/index-fr-e.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Went to Saalbach last year and loved it. We ate at an italian a couple of times cant remember the name but it was next to another restaurant with a Bull outside and there was a mexican and chinese in the same street. Definetly recommend it if you can find it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chrisdavis, echo this, it is simply hilarious! I went once years ago in summer when my parents were driving me to Austria to abandon me there for a year, and got the magic show treatment then, even though there were only us three and about 6 other people in the restaurant, and it was so funny I had to take the DH there a couple of years ago to prove it had really happened. The second time we were treated to the magic show in Swedish as there was a coach party in there too (apparently it was on their holiday itinerary and in the brochure as the 'world famous Peter's magic show'!). I reckon Mr Peter's son must be wondering how long he has to be the magician's assistant for though. It was probably fun when he was a young boy in short trousers, but now he is a grown up in...short trousers, I always wonder if he might want to do...you know...normal things.

Food is indeed excellent as well, I love the big Tafelspitz thingy, mega meat feast.

We might be in Saalbach in Jan for a few days, when are you guys there?

D
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Deliaskis, we skied there in February, and have the same apartment for 2 weeks next Summer.

There were so many nationalities in Peter's the night we were there, he did everything in about four different languages Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
II, we're there the 24th Jan to 31st Jan.

We only have B&B board in the hotel so we can eat out every night - a good thing IMO as we can see more of the place (besides we got a good deal I think). So I'll be sure to check out Hotel Peter, it sounds...interesting(!)

How far is it via taxi to Hinterglemm, is it worth doing one night?

Thanks all for the info btw Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scottland, Only been to Saalbach in summer but try to lunch at Panorana Alm up the hill - absolutely stunning and good food - don't know if it's open at night too as it may be worth a trip at night, especially if you're allowed to toboggan/ski downhttp://www.panorama-alm.at/en/winter.asp?Saison=W . My brother in law went to Saalbach for years and loved it - good skiing and apres. Really nice part of the world
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scottland wrote:
II, we're there the 24th Jan to 31st Jan.
You might find a few of us are also there that week Very Happy
I think it was about 15mins on the bus to Hinterglemm so won't be much of a taxi. Someone correct me, but aren't we actually staying in Hinterglemm this time ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scottland, 20 min there about if memory serves me correct and about €6 a head I have no Idea how many of us where in the cab or how long it took as I was in a very chemically imbalanced condition Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steiners.............. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah, another thing I forgot to mention. Is there anywhere we can pre-book the lift passes?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jerry, we are indeed squire Wink
ski holidays
Scottland, lots of info on Tourist office website, but can't see anywhere you can pre-book. They have a new pass this year that includes other nearby resorts.
http://www.saalbach.com/Prices.1025.0.html?&L=1

Often the Hotel will get your tickets for you or the TO. We will be there in March, our 2nd time in Hinterglemm, can't wait...you'll love it.
snow conditions
I'm looking at going to either Saalbach or Hinterglemm for a w/e in Jan.

Does Hinterglemm have better access to the ski area then Saalbach?
snow report
Arriving Hinterglemm on the 28th Dec......one week..never been before I'll report back.
snow report
Jagerbull wrote:
I'm looking at going to either Saalbach or Hinterglemm for a w/e in Jan.

Does Hinterglemm have better access to the ski area then Saalbach?

We stayed in Saalbach - there are pretty much three directions you can go on the town centre lifts. Two of which take you towards Hinterglemm. Pretty efficient.

We didn't really try the lifts up out of Hinterglemm.
snow conditions
Jagerbull, looking at the map, there are more runs in the Hinterglemm area, about the same number of lifts out of the town, but I know the nursery area is larger in Hinterglemm, and there is the night run, and the toboggan run. The town is much more low key if night life is what you are looking for, and there are less places to eat and shop, but there is a bus that runs up and down between the resorts, and it runs at night as well. We prefer Hinterglemm as it's cheaper, apre is still good, (the famous Goat Stall is mad, with a short ski down that can be done on your bum if needed!) the floodlit run is nice to have if you want it, and you get an undisturbed nights sleep once you do go to bed. Smile
latest report
Any ideas where the best ski hire is in Hinterglemm?
latest report
II, http://www.saalbach.com/SportShops-Rental.81.0.html?L=1 all much the same. Often same company, just different branches.
latest report
Jerry wrote:
Someone correct me, but aren't we actually staying in Hinterglemm this time ?

No correction needed Very Happy
snow report
I'm off to Saalbach the first week in Jan, really looking foward to it!

Is there a supermarket in the village?

Stuart.
latest report
There are two. There is one in the main square which looks a bit like the village hall. The other one is just down the road on the right as you head towards Hinterglemm. There is also a Billa on the man road, but that is a bit of a trek from the town/village centre.

Great place to ski.

snowHead
ski holidays
Cheers, I'm staying in the Hotel Central, the hotel bar looks pretty cool (http://www.underbar.at/) did you visit it? Are there any nice small bars you would recommend to have a drink and some food?

Stuart.
snow conditions
Stuart84, Nowhere is very far from anywhere in the middle of Saalbach. If the Hotel Cenral is where I think it is (Central????) then you are quite close to the restaurant I like best which is a sort of Spanish/Italian place right in the middle. The centre of Saalbach is a sort of offset crossroads. The folky supermarket is in the square in the centre of the cross. Bobby's bar (busy, has cheap kebabs) at the bottom of the cross by the main road that goes past the big Schattberg lift. The schirm bars (all good in different ways) are up the heated slope to the right (if Bobby's is at the bottom, if you see what I mean) the big supermarket and a pole dancing bar to the left. Up stright in front ar plenty of other bars and eating places. The best pizza place is up there on the right, but you will have to ask Rachel Q what it is called. There is a bar called the Otzi bar, but I preferred the little one opposite the town gaol, which I think is called something like Zum Tum. They play that odd nailing game in there.

The skiing is great and the circuit easily doable by intermediates in about 4-5 hours. Enjoy.

snowHead
snow report
I arrive in Saalbach on 27 December for two weeks - only six sleeps to go!
snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Excellent, Cheers Chris Bish.

I love a game of nails, although I have no idea what the correct rules actually are? Anyone a semi-pro and want to fill me in??

Stuart.
ski holidays
Stuart84, we're also staying at Hotel Central - let me know what you think of it when you come back, hope you have a good holiday Smile
snow conditions
Jerry, Charlatanefc, will be there the week before (17th-24th) with two mates. We might leave a bit of snow and the odd Jagerbomb for you! Twisted Evil

Laughing
snow report
Stuart84, From my years of study, and experience in Ischgl and Maria Alm I'd say chief among them is 'don't let your missus challenge the locals at a pint per game' rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
Group of 8 of us heading to Hinterglemm on 21st Feb for the first time; following the recommendations here we'll certainly be giving the Goatstall a visit, any other "must-see" spots?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy