Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Traveling to 3V by Car

Poster: A snowHead
Traveling to Courchevel 1650 Jan 2nd -24th Jan 2009 by car for the first time crossing dover calias, any advise would be gratefull on the best route.
can it be done in one go there are two drivers or would overnight stop be best.
also is there anything that would be usefull for the journey I have snowchains.vis,gb sticker,triangle.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
peteski, welcome to snowHeads.

It can be done in one go, but it's a long day especially if you're coming from the West Midlands. I'd be tempted to stop overnight - you get a cheap place like Formule 1 which won\t add much to the cost of your journey.

In addition to the chains and stuff you listed you should also carry, by law, a high visibility vest and (I think) replacement lightbulbs for your car.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks,
We will look to stay overnight we can't get into our apartment till 4pm sat the 3rd jan its about 10hrs from calais, so a stop about halfway looks to be the best bet any idea's. on best towns:P
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
peteski, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead If you would be overnighting on the 2nd (?Friday) I don't think the hotels will be too busy. I'd be inclined to wait and see how you feel, and when you want to stop (if the weather is bad, particularly if it's foggy, you might want to stop early, but if it's a bright clear night, you might want to carry on till late). The major towns on the motorway usually have an array of cheapish hotels - if you drive off the motorway you'll normally see signs, or ask the man/woman who will take silly sums of money off you, at the péage gate, about finding hotels. They tend to have big neon signs - Etap, Formule 1, etc. They take credit cards at the door if the reception is closed. If one hotel is full, they will direct you to another. We've done this a lot and never yet had to sleep in the car. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
peteski, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead If you would be overnighting on the 2nd (?Friday) I don't think the hotels will be too busy. I'd be inclined to wait and see how you feel, and when you want to stop (if the weather is bad, particularly if it's foggy, you might want to stop early, but if it's a bright clear night, you might want to carry on till late). The major towns on the motorway usually have an array of cheapish hotels - if you drive off the motorway you'll normally see signs, or ask the man/woman who will take silly sums of money off you, at the péage gate, about finding hotels. They tend to have big neon signs - Etap, Formule 1, etc. They take credit cards at the door if the reception is closed. If one hotel is full, they will direct you to another. We've done this a lot and never yet had to sleep in the car. wink

Thanks thats good info we arrive in calais at 21.50 it could take us a while to get out of the port and on our way if you can use a credit card to access hotel it would save having to pre book an hotel at a set way point and wishing we could have gone on a bit further. Laughing
Have you any thoughts on the other i.e. things that might be usefull on the journey. Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
peteski, I drive down from Banbury each year - have done it in one go (with 2-drivers) but is so much more relaxing over 2-days. Now generally arrive lunchtime on the Sat and have a relaxing time shopping, getting skis and passes etc before the hordes arrive in the evening.

Check out the AA website (or search facility here) for good advice on what's needed legally - High Viz vest, triangle and bulbs all a must
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
peteski, the French autoroutes make for really easy driving. Use a credit card to pay the tolls. Just the usual, really - plenty of good music, some drinks/snacks. The motorway "aires" are fairly frequent, some just some picnic stops (not much use on a cold night in January) and others with snacks, restaurants, petrol etc about every 50 kms. Most (maybe all) have cash points too. Some aires have hotels with beds on, to make life extra easy, though sometimes they're not the cheapest. If you arrive late at one of the cheap hotel chains, there will probably be nothing available to eat/drink (except out of a machine). You will no doubt have eaten earlier in the evening, anyway.

You will be asked to opt in or out of breakfast when you check in - we usually opt out, and have breakfast an hour or so down the road. If you change your mind you can pay in the morning.

And you have, of course, practised putting on your snowchains, haven't you? wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris wrote:
peteski, I drive down from Banbury each year - have done it in one go (with 2-drivers) but is so much more relaxing over 2-days. Now generally arrive lunchtime on the Sat and have a relaxing time shopping, getting skis and passes etc before the hordes arrive in the evening.

Check out the AA website (or search facility here) for good advice on what's needed legally - High Viz vest, triangle and bulbs all a must

THe AA thats a good shout the thing about the light bulbs don't most cars have clusters so you have to buy the whole cluster which will work out very expensive Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
peteski, the French autoroutes make for really easy driving. Use a credit card to pay the tolls. Just the usual, really - plenty of good music, some drinks/snacks. The motorway "aires" are fairly frequent, some just some picnic stops (not much use on a cold night in January) and others with snacks, restaurants, petrol etc about every 50 kms. Most (maybe all) have cash points too. Some aires have hotels with beds on, to make life extra easy, though sometimes they're not the cheapest. If you arrive late at one of the cheap hotel chains, there will probably be nothing available to eat/drink (except out of a machine). You will no doubt have eaten earlier in the evening, anyway.

You will be asked to opt in or out of breakfast when you check in - we usually opt out, and have breakfast an hour or so down the road. If you change your mind you can pay in the morning.

And you have, of course, practised putting on your snowchains, haven't you? wink

Not yet received the chains had to order them as they are specials they are bl**dy expensive I'll have to keep the car about 30 years to make them pay. So when come I will have a good play with them. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Make sure you practice with the chains. Also take a couple of pairs of rubber gloves, a torch and a bin liner to put them in when you are finished.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ringingmaster wrote:
Make sure you practice with the chains. Also take a couple of pairs of rubber gloves, a torch and a bin liner to put them in when you are finished.

Ha thats the stuff not the gear you would think to take and then when you groveling around in the snow on some mountain pass you'll think why did I not bring this or that good advis thanks Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ringingmaster wrote:
Definately required equipment, from past experience. Can I suggest you have a head torch?
It is do-able in one hit if you prepare beforehand, but I now always stay over en-route. For me, it means a fresh start and the chance of being in resort early morning on day 1. As I have my own skis, the opportunity to have an extra (usually quiet) day on the pistes.
Worth having an idea where the cheaper hotels (if thats what you intend staying at) are along your route, and before you set out. If you havent booked be prepared to be 'flexible' on where you stay and how much you may have to pay. I'm one of those unfortunates you use a sat nav and have set up these establishments as POI's. I use that to plan a route and before I leave and I set a realistic target and book that. I try to get a close to the resort on the first day and stay over somewhere, that has been a close as 50 miles but as far away as 200. I usualy find its the UK based leg of the journey that the problem and is more difficult to get the timing right, but then, i travel from Manchester. I 've had it take as little as 5hrs but as long as 9 hrs to get to Dover! Sad
Usefull kit for journey and have the necessary bits on top of the luggage not buried under it (from experience);-
chains, chain putting on gear (assume its going to be freezing cold, v.wet), duct tape, extra washer bottle concentrate, breakdown\recovery insurance!, High Vis vests for ALL passengers, warning triangle, a map and sat nav, good navigator, snack food and beverages, mobile phone with roaming enabled, a sense of humour, if you intend speeding - lots of cash to pay the gendamerie (remember , they dont have a sense of humour), money for the peage (cash, CC) or a telepeage tag.
Have fun! Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

have set up these establishments as POI's

that's a good idea if you use a satnav - you can find the time to various fleapits along the way and check how far off the motorway they are. If you had their phone numbers as part of the POI you could even telephone to reserve a bed. Except that on a UK mobile that could cost more than the bed. And that preparation is quite a lot of work - they're usually on the outskirts of towns, on the optimum route in from the motorway.

Just for getting from Calais to the 3V there is absolutely no need for a satnav, by the way. So if you don't already have one that's one expense yu can do without.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
peteski, spare bulbs is a real odd one - by law you have to carry them, even though on many cars (mine included) they are all dealer fit! The battery has to be removed on my VW to fit the nearside bulb, not something I would attempt by the side of the road.

As others have said - practice with the chains
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Just for getting from Calais to the 3V there is absolutely no need for a satnav, by the way. So if you don't already have one that's one expense yu can do without.

The navigation is pretty straightforward, but I do find it useful to have an estimated time of arrival, especially at Calais when I have a fixed time train to catch.
snow report
peteski, There was a short discussion about the best route here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=45549#1090683 Turn right in Moutier for 3vs Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I've done it overnight from London with one other driver. Left after work on a Friday at about 8pm, drove through the night, got to Meribel at about 10am the next day, parked up, threw on the ski gear on and had a wonderful day on the mountain. Shattering but worth it. Don't count on getting much sleep in the car and account for various wrong turns which will invariably happen when you're navigator has dozed off.... If really necessary, park up in one of the hundreds of service stations en route and have a short kip to recharge the batteries.
ski holidays
Quote:

various wrong turns which will invariably happen when you're navigator has dozed off...

Would have to be a dozy driver, as well as navigator; there aren't that many places to go wrong down the autoroute if you have a few key place names in mind! About six names should get you to the 3 Valleys.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

various wrong turns which will invariably happen when you're navigator has dozed off...

Would have to be a dozy driver, as well as navigator; there aren't that many places to go wrong down the autoroute if you have a few key place names in mind! About six names should get you to the 3 Valleys.

It is pretty straightforward. I did it once, pre-sat.nav days, without any directions as I'd left the road atlas at home.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Twenty twenty hindsight is a wonderful thing. Without those six places in mind wrong turns are easy to make....
latest report
Sorry, but 20/20 hindsight has nothing to do with this. A very modest amount of foresight, more like. Any sensible driver will stop at least twice on the autoroute down from Calais to the 3 Valleys. A quick check of the route, and memorising something like 2 place names and/or junction numbers to look out for should do it. French signposting is good but uses place names rather than road numbers, for the most part. If you have a satnav, fine, though they're not foolproof in mountain areas. 2 minutes spent jotting down a few names to be written in big letters on a piece of paper should do the job for people who find it hard to remember the names. It's cruel to wake a navigator in the middle of the night!
snow report
It clearly is hindsight as the journey was over two years ago!!

I have to confess that I generally print off the directions from the michelin website, have a quick read through and then set off. Generally the navigator does the rest. Unfortunately work leaves me little time to learn them verbatim....
snow report
I have done the bit from Lyon Airport by Coach loads so that part would be familiar. Skullie
snow conditions
pam w is spot on. Defo try to familiarise yourself with the route if you have time beforehand or risk making unintended detours.
latest report
peteski, that's the only bit that needs any navigating, really. Lyon is signposted from well north. I find the directions from the michelin website far too detailed and cluttered - as well as impossible to read in the car in poor light. Writing down 6 key place names takes a lot less time than taking "various wrong turns". It's worth reading the thread on routes - though going in on Jan 2nd you'll find all the queues going in the other direction, with any luck. I remember coach journeys up on that first Saturday in January, passing miles and miles of absolutely stationary traffic heading home.
snow report
Would this be a good alternative or a no no
from Dijon A39 > Bourg en Bresse > A40 > Nantua A40 exit J10
pick up N508 into Annecy N508 > Albertville Shock
I would think Annecy could be a problem as you have to go through it on this route. Puzzled
latest report
pam w wrote:
peteski, that's the only bit that needs any navigating, really.

Sure if you are spending your time gazing at the mountains out the windows!!
snow report
peteski wrote:
Would this be a good alternative or a no no
from Dijon A39 > Bourg en Bresse > A40 > Nantua A40 exit J10
pick up N508 into Annecy N508 > Albertville Shock
I would think Annecy could be a problem as you have to go through it on this route. Puzzled

I like that route as the scenery is lovely. The new autoroute from St Julian towards Annecy will be open in a week or two, so it might be easier to stay on the A40 at Nantua until you get to the new section of autoroute.

I normally drive via Annecy (Annecy Sud exit and drive round the back by the hospital, rather than through the centre of town) and have only once been caught in really bad traffic there. Normally it's OK, and travelling at the beginning of January should be OK everywhere. The drive around the lake at Annecy is spectacular.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like that route as the scenery is lovely. The new autoroute from St Julian towards Annecy will be open in a week or two, so it might be easier to stay on the A40 at Nantua until you get to the new section of autoroute.

I normally drive via Annecy (Annecy Sud exit and drive round the back by the hospital, rather than through the centre of town) and have only once been caught in really bad traffic there. Normally it's OK, and travelling at the beginning of January should be OK everywhere. The drive around the lake at Annecy is spectacular.[/quote]

Yea I've been this way on transfers form Geneva and its far more scenic than the route via Lyon. We noticed the new road when we were out in Sept
this should make life a bit easier. I'll have to buy an upto date map Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
pete enjoy your trip!

Im driving down to chamonix on the 9th we are going to do it in one hit with me being the only driver. I have the 9th of so stay in bed till prob mid morning on the friday so had a good sleep.

Then down to the eurptunnel for 21:00 so by the time we get over will be 22.35 french.

then hit the roads a few red bulls bit of banter with the boys if I need a sleep break just sleeping bag an set alarm for 30 mins crack on should be there for the 8am lift, we all have our own gear and pre ordered lift passes!

Last time we drove in one hit though I shared the driving but we didnt stop on the way down other than for toilet then on return we stopped for about 2 hours in one of the picnic sites i dont recommend sleepingin your car unless you take sleep ing bags though.
ski holidays
I've done Pontypridd to La Plagne in one hit via the tunnel as a lone driver (my wife won't drive abroad). I didn't get one 'are we there yet' out of the kids either! Doing Pontypridd to Valfrejus on the 20th of this month, booked on the 4am tunnel crossing so hopefully will get there mid afternoon (going to sleep all day Friday before going). It's not too bad, it helps to be a bit loopy I reckon Wink
ski holidays
We follow the directions from the ViaMichelin website. It is great and tells you the amount you need for the tolls as well. We tend to stop overnight at Lyon. It means we can meander our way up on the Saturday morning !
latest report
I use this to get a route in France http://www.mappy.co.uk/ it shows what the signs should say when you need to make a turn, and also tells you where the fixed speed cameras are.
ski holidays
Tommy4681, I've got a mate from work who's done exactly the same thing this weekend: then on Sunday night they're driving back, 4:40am ferry from Dover, 10am meeting in Bristol. I hope he turns up or I'm in trouble... Skullie
latest report
peteski, We did Lancashire to Tignes leaving on Boxing Day last year. We emerged from the tunnel at around midnight. The only fly in the ointment was freezing fog almost all the way to Dijon Shocked We slept for2/3 hours in the van, had breakfast and lots of coffee then continued on to Tignes with just a short shopping stop in Bourg. Two drivers changing over every 2 hrs or so. In the resort early afternoon.
Very cold overnight temps, we did have 4 season sleeping bags and still had the engine running Shocked
snow report
With 2 drivers it is an easy drive in one day. We did London to the tunnel for an early crossing and arrived at Meribel at tea time to watch the skiers skiing down at the end of their day. Why spoil 2 days with travel.

However, going home we chose to go part way home after a days skiing (these days ski resort hotels prefer only to do Sat - Sat) - then drove the rest of the way the next day (sunday). A good way to maximise your skiing.
latest report
aw-hicks,

Careful with the Red Bull, it's banned in France and apparently the Gendarmerie treat you like a cocaine smuggler if they catch you with it, take Relentless instead.
snow report
Kel wrote:
aw-hicks,

Careful with the Red Bull, it's banned in France and apparently the Gendarmerie treat you like a cocaine smuggler if they catch you with it, take Relentless instead.

Red Bull now ok...

http://uk.reuters.com/article/UKNews1/idUKL1576964720080715
snow report
thefatcontroller, Just looked it up on Wicki, so it is, just this year. This means the French will now be able to sell authentic Jaegerbombs Twisted Evil Twisted Evil .
ski holidays
Agree totally with George... the worst freezing fog all the way from just outside Calais to Dijon..... Didn't think it was going to end, easy run apart from that, just stretches the concentration a little!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy