Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Söll - January 8th - 15th 2005

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone need a ski buddy in Soll this coming week. I'm 41 - male - separated and travelling alone.

I know I've left it late but I've only just booked.

Best regards to all snowheads.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead Snowshark. Perhaps you have left it a bit late! Whether you find anyone to ski with or not, do drop back in and tell us about Soll when you get back....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowshark, another welcome. Hope that you get some feedback from others.

The SCGB have a rep in Soll, so you could always team up with them. If you aren't already a member, I believe that you get one free day with them before you join. Try this link for more information: ski club reps
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowshark, welocme to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the feedback.

I'll write up Soll when I get back. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Soll – a pleasant surprise.

Not too expensive. Excellent skiing and a light dump of snow during the stay.

Conditions
During the first half of the week, patches of icy snow on the front side of the HOHE Salve. Soft over the back on the Brixen side.

Towards the end of the week, the icy patches were covered or softened by fresh snow. Although the cannons were unable to work all of the time due to temperature levels. Rain was threatened but I didn’t see any.

Popular areas for intermediates appeared to be over at Sheffau pistes 70 – 71 and surrounding areas. The reds there were quite wide and rolling.

Advanced skiers may find the blacks and reds on both sides of the Hohe salve (Blacks 45, 45a – and the short 2c) - interesting along with a few of the reds between Hoch Söll and Schiffau. Surrounding pistes 51.

Runs to Hopgarten appered to be gentle reds and blues with soft snow. South facing.

After the first day the Hoch Söll area cleared of motorway traffic allowing good fast descents either by long carving turns or posy short swings under the gondola.

The Hoch söll, being north facing lost light quite early in the afternoon and the home run to Söll quickly crowded. During the first part of the week, although easy enough for intermediates when quiet, the home run tested even advanced skiers wrestling with frutration unable to get past the hordes of beginners and intermediates stopping at every turn on the narrow and steep icy sections.

Advice from Eva, a Swedish intructor living in Söll, proved right. The best time to ski the home run is in the morning. God snow, very few people about. It then becomes enjoyable. There are also some sections viewable from the gondola for those who wish to pose.

Area summary
Comments from other skiers revealed that conditions where generally good throughout the area. Some like it soft, some hard and each to there own.

The lift system
Highly efficient. Most working. Queues short. Directions in the area were more than adequate. Piste signs/markers and large maps everywhere.

Ski School
For intermediate/advanced/expert skiers who have never skied the area, 3 or 5 day 2hr lessons can be had. Fast moving coaching with Harry or Max. Also skied with Alain, an excellent technical skier and Michael, a good eye for bad habits you may have or are developing.

Listen and follow any of these instructors and you will learn new or remember forgotten skills.

Night Life and Eating out
Where to begin?

Some say the Hexen Alm at the bottom of the gondola, others hotel bars, showers.

Me, I preferred to return to Pension for a quick shower and sahve before heading out. First port of call (Frequently revisited) the Salven Stadl. A lively pub with a great atmosphere and live music.

Leos cocktail bar is quite plush and has excellent cuisine. I recommend the fillet steak with röstl.

Over the road from Leo’s is Rossini’s complete with internet link and I believe a TV screen (Alhough the football had finished by the time I visited).

More traditional hotel restaurants to try are:

The PostWirt (ate there several times) also has live music in the Stube.

Dorf ‘n stube has a more traditional feel to it with a large log fire and again, excellent cuisine.

Hotel Feldwebel across from one of the prettiest churches in Austria. There is also a beautiful chapel dedicated to the men of Soll lost in past conflicts.

The Hotel Austria has a younger feel to it complete with pool tables and a restaurant upstairs.

There are also many other excellent restaurants and hotels. Hotel Tyrol, Hotel Ganzleit.

Following my initial vits to bars, and restaurants, a revisit to Salven Stadl followed by a foray into the infamous and loud nightclub Whisky Mühle was the usual route. And when the whisky Mühle closed, a vist with an open mind to the buffalo bar.

Incidentally, the Bäkerei in the middle of town opens at 0630am and has a small café area.

Hope this short report is of interest to anyone travelling to Söll.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowshark, great report, just the sort of thing snowHeads needs for the 'database'...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Soll is part of Ski Welt with 250km piste. Seven of the resorts are fully linked. The eighth Westendorf is physically separate. It is the biggest in Austria
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowshark, thanks for a good report and i'll try the steak in leo's, but like you I love the PostWirt food.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowshark,

Excellent report.
My wife and I are heading to Soll on 5th March.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy