Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New camera recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am looking for a new camera and was wondering if anyone has one that they are very happy with and can make a good recommendation. I have been using the Pentax Optio 5Si for a few years now and have really liked using it but it is starting to get old and things must have improved quite a bit in the past 3 years.

I guess I am thinking of perhaps the Panasonic DMC-FX37 or the Canon SD 790 IS, or maybe the Nikon Coolpix S210. If anyone has any experience with any of these cameras or any other similar I would be keen to hear.

Cheers

Phil

ps - my pics are at www.philingle.com and www.alpinebreak.com
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last time this was on here (couple of weeks ago) the Canon Ixus range was getting good recs for compacts. Great images, but not very shockproof/waterproof as I have found to my cost..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
philingle, I've got the Canon 860 IS and I'm very happy with it. I think it's pretty similar to the 790. It's very compact, so slips into the chest pocket of my ski jacket without any problems. I can use it with my ski gloves on, so no fiddling around when I want to take a photo, just point and shoot really. Like all compact cameras there's a bit of shutter lag, so for fast-moving action shots you'd need to pre-focus. If you're interested you can see some ski photos taken with it in my blog - just follow the link in my signature and look at entries for the last few days in Tignes and Val d'Isere.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
philingle, we've just replaced our Optio 5Si for the Optio s12. Nice camera.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bought a panasonic FX500 a couple of months ago when my last digital camera went u/s on me. I wanted something which could take HD video as well as stills and plumped for the FX500 which I think is a FX37 with a touch screen, without the HD requirement I would have gone for an canon ixus.
Overall I am pleased with the results, I am still experimenting with the manual settings to get the best results, but in automode it performs very well except in flash photos where I haven't yet got consistent results, not sure how the touch screen will perform with a pair of ski gloves on, but i'll let you know.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Phil, I am on my second Panasonic now and am dead chuffed with them. Good info at http://www.dpreview.com/news/0807/08072101panasonicfx37.asp. Just don't sit on it in your back pocket...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a Cannon Ixus (860 IS), photo quality with it is really good fro a compact, works quite nicely in the snow.

The only problem I have with it is that I find it really easy to switch it on by accident when taking it out of a pocket, resulting in jaming the lens (this has happened twice now, both times resulting in a return to manufacturer for repair)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just bought an IXUS 970 IS. VERY happy with it. There's a knack to switching on and off meaning the problem above does not occur. Fantastic zoom! There are some really good offers out there at the moment - I got mine from Amazon in the end at a good deal less than RRP.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I took Canon 860IS to the mountains for the first time last week and it didn't work on the slopes. It would focus but wouldn't write pictures. I took some pics in the hotel and at home before and it worked well. Is it sensitive to cold temperature?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am now on my 4th Cannon ixus, the original was aps film, 2nd was lost Embarassed , 3rd I still have, 4th is supplied by my company. Going back probably 9 or 10 years I can honestly say I have not had one single complaint or problem.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
we have an ixus75 and outdoor pics are excellent for a compact. low light shots are pretty poor though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Turns'n'turns wrote:
I took Canon 860IS to the mountains for the first time last week and it didn't work on the slopes. It would focus but wouldn't write pictures. I took some pics in the hotel and at home before and it worked well. Is it sensitive to cold temperature?

Mine isn't at all. We had a couple of cold days last week below -10° I think, and I keep the camera in an external pocket without carrying the camera in its case. Worked every time for me. Perhaps you have a faulty unit?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bought the OH a Panasonic Lumix tz5 for his birthday, he's very pleased with it so far, but it hasn't been out to the snow yet
http://www.digicamreview.com/panasonic_lumix_dmc_tz5_review.htm

http://www.ukdigitalcameras.co.uk/__4_prod3_asp2_1_i4_45151_125_Panasonic_Lumix_TZ5_Black3.html was the cheapest place I ciuld find at the time. Ordered 5pm Friday, arrived 9am Saturday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone want to buy an Ixus APS version? Excellent condition Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yoda, can you still buy APS film?
snow conditions
The feedback in this thread is like asking to chose between Pepsi and Coca Cola i.e. mostly about market share between Canon and Panasonic.

FWIW, I've used the Panasonic LX2 for a couple of years now and to me, it's quite simply the most versatile and pocketable camera I could imagine, what with its 16:9 standard CCD and image format, the full manual control capability and jeans pocket discreteness ...

A few photos here ... http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=4547321 (October 2006 onwards)

And then came the new LX3 ... http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/ . Crying or Very sad ... I'd like Santa to bring me one. Smile
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Perhaps you have a faulty unit?

How can I check
Puzzled
snow report
Turns'n'turns wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Perhaps you have a faulty unit?

How can I check
Puzzled

If you're having problems with it I'd take it back to the place you bought it from, unless you were using the unit outside the normal operating temperature range that is stated in the manual?
snow report
rob@rar, Kodak and Fuji available at Amazon wink

Finding someone to process it on the other hand....
snow conditions
rob@rar, no problems so far (knock knock knock) except for taking pics in cold temps. I think the manual says 0 to +25C or something like that. Maybe I should carry it next time in an outside pocket too, so it doesn't get warm before I take it out on the top of the mountain.
ski holidays
Turns'n'turns wrote:
rob@rar, no problems so far (knock knock knock) except for taking pics in cold temps. I think the manual says 0 to +25C or something like that. Maybe I should carry it next time in an outside pocket too, so it doesn't get warm before I take it out on the top of the mountain.

Maybe. I've used three or four different digital cameras in the mountains and never had any problems with them being too cold. Once or twice the battery life has been a bit poor in very cold temps, but the camera always worked if it had enough power.
snow report
Nikon everytime for me
snow report
Canon Ixus 960 Titanium £117 on Amazon at the mo wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy