Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Differences between Salo X wave boots

Poster: A snowHead
There are some offers of Salomons Xwave boots at places like GoSport and similar, colors are strange and flexes rated ie. 95 ( ? ) . Prices are very, very attractive compared to " genuine " Salo Xwave boots offered by Salomon official dealers. Are any differences between both boots ? Different plastics, build quality, or something else ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MG, All X-waves will be the same shape, the differences are indeed the quality of plastics, flex rating and the quality of the liner. The cheaper boots will be made of lower grade plastics and with lower quality liners and will have a softer flex (both as a result of the plastics used and to fit into the beginner/intermediate range of their target customer). This means they will fatigue and wear out quicker than the more expensive boots. The general opinion amongst the zoo is to buy the more 'advanced' boots in the range because this simply means you are getting a better quality product that will last longer, any problems with the boot feeling too stiff can be regulated by an experienced bootfitter.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NAKEDZOOKEEPER,

As you say the more expensive XWaves are stiffer. I wouldn't recommend a beginner buying XWave 10s which are stiff having a "Flex = 110". These are relative stiffness ratings.

I believe the XWave range were: XWave 8 (Flex 90?); XWave 9 (Flex 100); XWave 10 (Flex 110).

I'm not sure how the stiffness can be changed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I ski on a pair of Xwave 6.0
They seem like very good boots to me.
It's snowing. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stiffness can be increased by adding rivets/ bolts to the back of the boot ...there is a mark on all but the 10 [which has them already] to show where they go.... they can be softend by cutting various bits of plastic out form various places...it is permanent!!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM This is the same boot I have-
http://i2.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/21/b4/d681_1.JPG

You are telling me I can make this boot stiff by adding rivets to the back?
I did not find a mark on the back of the boot like you said, but I imagine it must be along the carbon link.

I have to shovel my driveway now Little Angel
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM- I just found those marks you were talking about. I removed my liner and found them inside the shell! So I will be making this boot a bit more stiff when the time comes for an equipment upgrade. Thanks for the info!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM,

Thank you for the info. I had (now my reserve pair) XWave 10s. I now use XWave 9s.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NAKEDZOOKEEPER wrote:
MG, All X-waves will be the same shape, the differences are indeed the quality of plastics, flex rating and the quality of the liner. The cheaper boots will be made of lower grade plastics and with lower quality liners and will have a softer flex (both as a result of the plastics used and to fit into the beginner/intermediate range of their target customer). This means they will fatigue and wear out quicker than the more expensive boots. The general opinion amongst the zoo is to buy the more 'advanced' boots in the range because this simply means you are getting a better quality product that will last longer, any problems with the boot feeling too stiff can be regulated by an experienced bootfitter.

Do you have that info from SALOMON or from another source ? I am not unbeliver, I have to have 100% certain info about that.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
MG, NAKEDZOOKEEPER does the boot fitting thing for a living...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MG, He has it from another source. But he is 100% right. Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MG, and your information comes from??????

pupalupa, the marks where the rivets are added are on the outside, diagonally up and back from the ankle rivets ....just a very small centre mark...BTW this is only one way to make them stiffer, adding a plate to the front of the cuff will also have an effect.... just take them to a fitter, a few $ will save you trashing them
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="CEM"]MG, and your information comes from??????
Nakedzookeeper, Smallzookeeper, CEM - sorry if my question sounded so that I don't trust you, I do, but I wasn't 100% fair.
Let me to explain, please ?

CEM, that is only my deduction. The devil is that I have a part time job at provincial sporting goods shop, far from mountais, far from reliable sources of information which are important for me and first for all for my clients. Some potential customers want to know as much as possible about gear thay are throwing monay in. My boss does't care, there are no info sources under the counter in the shop. Of course I have basic knowladge but when things cames slopy and I must give detailed information, I am helpless to deal with situation, that makes me Embarassed ... you know.I buy magazins, call some better informed friends and beeing frustrated ( peak of season ), in desperation try to ask you, guys. That's my story, I have no access to oficial info stuff of gear makers. Sorry again, and thanks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MG, feel free to ask dude, Via PM is prefered, this information is at a professional cost sometimes and not always best serves the public.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
MG, feel free to ask dude, Via PM is prefered, this information is at a professional cost sometimes and not always best serves the public.

Thanks a lot ! I will not bother, just from time to time Very Happy
snow report
CEM-

I think taking the boots to a reputable boot fitter is good advice, I don't see the marks you're talking about even with a magnify glass, but I have no doubt you're right. It could be there is no obvious mark because it's an early model 6.0? There is however a hole on the inside cuff portion of the boot that I imagine a bolt or rivet would pass through, in the same area you mention- this hole is slotted which appears to allow for canting. I don't think I will attempt to drill holes in my boots, best to leave that to someone with some experience and right hardware for sure. Thanks for the info though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy