Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 08/09

Poster: A snowHead
What on earth is an argo taxi? Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

http://youtube.com/v/aaf9B3KLWhQ

roga, my boys love it. When the snow has left the plateau area, the 'taxi' is used to ferry the lazy ( wink ) from the top of the access chair to the bottom of the cliffy. You can get 4 in the back (just) and 1 in the front. But hold on tight because it's a rough ride up that track. Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glencoe is collecting snow again. Hope tomorrow is a goer. Smile

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
moffatross, forecast is improving for tomorrow! Think I might go for it... maybe even Sunday too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
heres some more advertising for argo: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4939417745256316708

Looks like the last 2 d have been good but still a bit worried about the wind. Hoping it dies down & the sun comes out & can get up tues & wed. Too much work on this w/e.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
arv, you're right. The chart below represents the wind speed at around the height of the access chair (the weakest kink). By midday, it's down to just a 'stiff breeze'. I'm planning to get there for around 10 am. Say hello if you spot me (yellow jacket, yellow helmet accompanied by one small boy with black helmet). Smile

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
moffatross, cool will do, I will probably be rolling solo, grey Sweet helmet, green jacket/grey pants. Probably Dakine Heli pack. Armada ARVs with 'Change for a nickel?' and 'Die Living' stickers. I imagine I will be pretty hard to miss! Hopefully not too many people have the same idea and it is pretty quiet. Looking to leave Helensburgh at around half 9.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hmmm, weather is going to be better the futher south you go and improve in the afternoon.... great if you are coming from the south head up to Glencoe...I live north of Nevis and 2 hours north of the Coe..... Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
II, I've worked it wrong too.....having spent a couple of days in Glencoe when the winds stopped play, I'm now back in Aviemore! May see if Nevis looks worth the journey tomorrow, as the forecast definitely looks better for the west than for Cairngorm.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Liz, how was it today?

Looked pretty excellent on the webcams once it cleared, particularly at Cairngorm and Glencoe snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
roga, I can fill you in on today.. went up for about 11 ish and met moffatross in the car park, I must say it is the first time I have ever met a man off the internet but it was good to put a face to a name! I was with a couple folks just to cruise a couple runs so didn't manage turns with MR but would have been good to get a few. Spent most of the time on the upper half of the mountain lapping off the Main Basin Tbar, chalky soft snow on a soft base if you avoided the obvious glistening ice patches. Spring Run was really excellent in places, again avoid the 'ice'. The gully to the right at the bottom was top class with nice soft chalky snow again.. not much to add but a great day was had by all. Once I figure out what Picasa is I will upload a couple pics snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The big mountain in the distance (middle of picture) is Ben Nevis.

Getting deep.

Too fast, too fast.

Single seat chair?

Remember the 'Avalanche at Glencoe'? This hill,

Find an old canoe... see if it floats
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
arv, fixed it for you Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks excellent guys, glad you had a great day - just hope next weeks warmer weather isn't too ferocious!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Magic day on a magic mountain, Glencoe rocks. Very Happy Apart from finding out one of the most bizarre coincidences ever (p.s. I'll pm you arv), it was good to put a name to a face. Ended up skiing all day with someone I'd never met before but we had a great crack.

report here ... http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1450

But this was the view up the hill from the cafe ...

... to a near deserted mountain covered with a nice layer of fresh snow with the opportunity to leave tracks almost anywhere ...

snow report
II, Laughing

roga, It is starting to look REALLY bad...

moffatross, shame we didn't get to make turns, next time! Do you drive the whole way up the A82, usually I end up taking a solo mission so if you are in the same boat again we should split petrol.
snow report
A sample pic from CairnGorm Mountain on Sat afternoon, top to bottom riding doable again via the Carpark Run and Daylodge Run (though thin lower down). All Top Runs in great shape and good riding for intermediates and more advanced riders on the various Cas side mid-mountain runs, Lady good fun for experts!

Pix from the Slopes - http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=537,9,1

More in Public Reports - http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1447
snow report
If you weren't up, you should have been! snowHead

Great day riding on CairnGorm Mountain with a brisk South to South West tail wind continuing to drift freshies onto the runs and into gullies and NE/East aspects (like the West Wall). Only downer was the wind and zero vis on the M2 meant the WWP didn't open, but the White Lady was offering good unpisted riding for advanced skiers/boarders and the piste bashers were pisting out the big drifts on the M1 RaceTrack later in the afternoon and it should offer nice sport.

All Top Basin runs are in fantastic shape with the wind direction today continuing to blow snow off higher exposed slopes onto all the Top Basin runs, fences lines rapidly filling on the Ciste Fairway. All Cas side mid-mountain runs have skiable snow so there is some good riding for all ability levels on offer and it is possible to ski to the Daylodge with care.

The M2 should have continued loading up today with the wind direction, the WWP will run if possible Monday. West Wall and gully will be checked out for snow stability and safety in the morning.

Sample pix from Sunday:

^Complete cover across the Ptarmigan Bow with machine packed powder.

^View down the lower part of the White Lady.

Lower level of Cas Carpark about a third full, no queues except for the Funicular around Lunchtime, soon cleared again and you could ski to the Base Station door and get straight on the next train.

More Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=538
latest report
I went to Nevis yesterday (couldn't connect to internet last night for some reason Sad )

Snow was in pretty good nick. All the summit runs and goose were excellent. It was possible to ski down to the bottom of the chair, but was a bit dodgy towards the bottom (my skis had a couple too many encounters with rocks!). I was surprised how few people were there......the carpark was empty, and 1/2 of them were foot passengers. Cairngorm today looked far busier.
latest report
The snow on Cairngorm was fantastic today but the wind at 2pm was pretty strong (50-55 mph) creating near white-out conditions at times. As Winterhighland has already said, the upper runs are fantastic with fresh snow. In lighter winds the conditions would have been fantastic, but it was a real battle on the tows with a strong crosswind!
snow conditions
Winterhighland, the WL looks good, I really hope it stands up to the warm weather over the next few days, would love to ski it next weekend snowHead

Elizabeth B, sounds pretty good but people at Cairngorm were saying it was really quiet there too - I don't know what on earth happens at this time of year but these days people just seem to forget about skiing. It's always been the case that Scotland often offers the best in late March and early April but people now just don't come, personally I blame the 'winter holiday' mentality, like tour operators they seem to think that it's all over by the middle of March. Crazy and frankly if people are purporting to be committed snowsports enthusiasts, or as my daughter says "real skiers", they'd take every available opportunity IMHO and thank their lucky stars the season lasts as long as it does!

Sorry for the slight rant but it really does do my head in and I'm sure things were different 20 years ago (at least in Scotland) ... or am I wearing rose tinted spectacles?
ski holidays
Cool pics, dudes.
ski holidays
The drifting snow did at times give the 'where have my feet gone' feeling, however the visibility was markedly better in the Top Basin today than on Saturday....

^Looking up the Ciste Bowl from below the Ptarmigan Tow diagonally back to the Ciste T-bar on Saturday afternoon. You might just make out a piste sign! snowHead

No queues today except briefly around lunchtime for the Funicular. Local schools in Highland and Grampian started their Easter holidays on Friday, this tends to quieten weekends down - the first week of Easter seems to be a very popular time for local and semi local skiing families to take an overseas snowsports holiday, given that we do not have the Feb half term (only a long weekend).

While it is and always has been quieter from Easter, the numbers at weekends anyway can pick up a bit after the local school holidays and this was certainly the case last year. However it is also the time where the 'Summer' tourist trade starts to get going, settled weather over the next week would give a real boost to CairnGorm and Nevis from non skiing visitors.

As for Roga's rose tinted specs, yes and no. There was always a relative decline in numbers late season, maybe it's part of the being a seasonal sport, people are deprived of their skiing and chomping at the bit in the autumn? However Mayday used to be the formal closing day at Glencoe, and last day of daily skiing at Nevis Range and Glencoe hasn't made May Day for quite a few years, the sad thing is contrary to what many believe, Glencoe has closed due to lack of skiers not lack of snow each spring for quite a few years, Sad

Certainly though one of the reasons as a skier I like spring is the association with good skiing, better weather and queue free lifts on CairnGorm. Esp for CairnGorm Mayday was the last big hooray of the season - yes I have stood in six/seven deep queues for the White Lady T-bar on Mayday, but for late season that is the exception. Have also accessed the mountain via the Carpark T-bar with skiing to the Daylodge on MayDay on more than one year, in Scotland you just never know and in a way that keeps us interested!
snow conditions
General PS to the above, having grown up skiing on CairnGorm the notion of a fixed ski season has always been completely alien to me, one I've never got my head around. Skiing was something to do whenever there was snow on the ground, and whenever there was snow on the ground the ski lifts run, be it October or June (CairnGorm, Glencoe, Nevis Range and Glenshee have all operated surface tows in June at some time or other). Do on one occasion recall day tickets being sold for the Carpark Chairlift in June, when an overnight fall of snow put down just enough to ski the Home Road! Damn the Closed System on the Funicular ! Laughing
latest report
On the point about skier numbers - I was at Glencoe on Wed and there were 7 of us there. The staff that I saw outnumbered us 2:1
ski holidays
This is all so sad, but the alps are not exempt either. For the last several seasons we could have stayed open much longer at the end of winter, but skier numbers do not justify running the very expensive lift system along with all the staff required.

The best time for skiing in Scotland has always been late spring, it would be a real shame if that was curtailed. Sad
latest report
> and last day of daily skiing at Nevis Range and Glencoe hasn't made May Day for quite a few years

Glencoe ran until 1st May winter 2006 (with the plateau poma and all uplfit still complete!).
Pictures from your own www site... Very Happy

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?22,2006-05-01

Most years the main basin is complete until at least then - but the customers usually run out mid / end April.
snow report
Hey everyone, I know this is for snow reports so sorry in advance but is anybody going up to glencoe or nevis in the next couple of weeks as im going up but have been let down by my mates who put work before skiing Puzzled either looking for someone to ski with or just if someone wants a lift up spliting the fuel costs would be cool. im leaving from Norfolk so I can pick anyone up on route! I drive a grand cherokee so there's plenty of room for ski gear without ski's poking you in the head for 8 hours Blush The pics look amazing n cant wait to get there
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap, oops Mayday was the 1st not 7th in 2006! Doh! It doesn't change the basic problem though, how do you get more Scottish Skiers skiing late season?
snow conditions
Advertising and marketing might be a start Alan!
ski holidays
Was up at Nevis on Saturday and Glencoe on Sunday and had a great day at both. Was hoping to get another day today but Nevis was shut and Glencoe looked a bit soggy, busy next weekend so hope this wasn't my last day of the season Sad
snow conditions
Both Nevis and Glencoe were doing reduced price lift passes yet had not advertised this. Had I known, then I may have been tempted to do another afternoon or two. As it was, I only discovered this later on in the week, after I'd decided that conditions didn't justify £30 for what looked like one bare run (which was my view of Cairngorm from Glenmore a week ago!)
latest report
Sunday 29th (March): Cairngorm was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!! Blue sky all morning, full-on winter conditions and a mix of lovely pisted fresh stuff and powder drifts - just brilliant! Car park very busy but no lift queues (lots of cake-seeking non-skiers/boarders riding the funicular....)

Wind speed picked up to the "ridiculous" category by late afternoon - but still a fantastic day's skiing. Here's the Winterhighland pix:
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=538

They've suffered a bit of snow loss in milder temperatures today - but with the upper run snow fences buried, easter is looking good:D .
ski holidays
Hi all, headed back to Nevis Range again for only my second time this winter (and second time within 2 weeks - previous outing to Carn Mor Dearg can be seen here)

Anyway, had a superb day in the back corries, taking in Summit Gully, Spikes, Chancer and Yellow Belly Smile Dropping in wearing a kilt certainly got the air circulating though! Shocked

Photos are up here (on 2 pages):
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/nr/winter200809/09apr03/

One of them:
Looking back up Summit Gully snowHead
snow report
Looking very good. Very Happy I've just reminded a student from a couple of weeks ago (lives in Edinburgh) that she could get a fair bit more in before the end of the season by skiing on home snow! she was talking about Hillend. Shocked
latest report
firstracks wrote:
Hi all, headed back to Nevis Range again for only my second time this winter (and second time within 2 weeks - previous outing to Carn Mor Dearg can be seen here)

Anyway, had a superb day in the back corries, taking in Summit Gully, Spikes, Chancer and Yellow Belly Smile Dropping in wearing a kilt certainly got the air circulating though! Shocked

Always wondered about skiing in a kilt - what info do I need to know, given the amount of air rushing around...? Normally wear it in a "traditional" manner, but I'm thinking that may not be the way to go...sporran or not?, etc...
ski holidays
How well is the snow holding up in the high temps?
snow report
footsoldier, I will share with you some nuggets of knowledge that I have built up (partly through experience) over the last 3 years that I have been kilt skiing.

Obviously if you wear a kilt in a 'traditional' (true) manner you have to take into account whether or not you might be using button lifts (as no matter how hard you try to hook it round both sides of the kilt, it always ends up underneath), and also the weather conditions. For example, one must beware of days of blazing sunshine, as remember that the UV will reflect off the snow. Hence why the underside of your nose etc gets burnt. Well, for the 'traditional' kilt wearer the nose is one particular appendage that you'd be least worried about burning! Please note that conditions of extreme cold also harbour their own dangers. In relation to the button lift, in the inevitable event of the button being hooked behind your bum, it might be ok (but cold) for you if you were 'traditional', but not pleasant hygiene-wise for the next person to get on the lift. Also note that these are metal bars that have been out in the cold for a prolongued period of time - ever stuck your tongue on the post of a chairlift? I saw someone do it once, they left behind a piece of tongue. In relation to yourself, you don't want to be leaving pieces of 'that' stuck to a poma bar.

As for sporran - go without. Your jacket usually covers the top section of the kilt anyway (so hides it), and if you do wear one it'll be bouncing around something awful. A quick means to sterility or at best severe bruising. If this bruising is in addition to sunburn (thus already tender skin) you will have a pleasant following few days.

The kilt itself (provided its a proper kilt made of the heavy material, and not a £25 glorified skirt made in China and bought off the Royal Mile in Edinburgh) is generally heavy enough to stay down and not end up around your shoulders, unless you're intending on much terrain park action. In which case the ladies will love you and the blokes will cringe. Same goes for dropping cornices and in some circumstances descending steep terrain at speed. I also wouldn't advise going out in winds above about 25mph, as you're prone on being 'caught out'. Whether this is bending down in the lift queue to adjust your boots, or etc etc. You can imagine the potential. I skied in the kilt in a 55mph day at CairnGorm last winter, and following one run I quickly retreated back to the car to swap into my usual ski pants. The granny bus pulling into the carpark got an eyeful when a particularly strong gust of wind arrived just as I was opening the car door, but that's another story...

Have fun, be wary, and god-speed.
Jamie
snow report
Dry, bright with hazy sun but a blustery wind on the 'Gorm today. Unfortunately the wind put paid to the Ciste Tow and M1 Poma on Sunday, but there was still top to middle riding available off the Funicular, Ptarmigan Tow and Cas Tow. Excellent areas for novices in the Ptarmigan Bowl and around the Trainer Tow adjacent to the Ptarmigan Restaurant.

Snow was firm in the Top Basin today, with some windblown fresh, but grippy rather than slick. Top of the Traverse down it was loose granular and pretty damn fast spring snow, esp with a tail wind on Coire Cas. Wind more Southerly Monday and Tuesday so hopefully wont affect the Ciste Tow.

If you can get up money the forecast is for another dry and bright day during lift opening hours and an adult ticket will cost just £13 Monday!!

Some pix from Sunday:

^How not to do a kicker... Shocked

^Skier on Coire Cas.

^Kickers in the Ptarmigan Bowl

More Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=542
snow report
firstracks wrote:

Obviously if you wear a kilt in a 'traditional' (true) manner you have to take into account whether or not you might be using button lifts (as no matter how hard you try to hook it round both sides of the kilt, it always ends up underneath), and also the weather conditions. For example, one must beware of days of blazing sunshine, as remember that the UV will reflect off the snow.

Also note that these are metal bars that have been out in the cold for a prolongued period of time - ever stuck your tongue on the post of a chairlift? I saw someone do it once, they left behind a piece of tongue. In relation to yourself, you don't want to be leaving pieces of 'that' stuck to a poma bar.

Jamie

The perils of the button hadn't even figured in my thinking... leaving bits behind adds a whole new level to my worries about maintaining an appropriate demeanour.. For the moment I'm thinking discretion may well be the better part of valour! Will give it a go sometime soon anyway. Thanks for sharing...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy