Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Route - Dijon -> Briancon/Serre Chevalier

Poster: A snowHead
There seem to be umpteen routes to Serre Chevalier from Calais

Can anyone give me a clue as to which is the quickest, most likeliest not to be prone to delay? Is there much difference in drive time?

1) Chambery, Saint Jean de Maurienne, Valloire, Col du Lauteret, Briancon
2) Chambery, Saint Jean de Maurienne, Frejus tunnel, Montgenèvre, Briancon
3) Grenoble, Alpe d'Huez, Les Deux Alpes, La Grave, Col du Lauteret, Briancon
4) Grenoble, Gap, Briancon

And if Lauteret is closed, what then? Frejus or Gap?

Pass status:
http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/acces-aux-cols/index.do
Hautes-alpes, alpes, tous

Is there a better URL for alpine route status?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
crosbie, Route no3, then no 2 if the Lauteret is closed. We reckon from Monetier that the Frejus tunnel adds about 20-30 minutes on to the journey. No 1 is the Col di Galibier, and is already closed. Telephone number for the Lauteret and Montgenevre is + 33 (0)4 92 24 44 44 (information line in French) . The route via Gap adds quite a bit of time to the journey, but is very pretty.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont, I have this strange feeling you've done this before...

Thanks very much for what is no doubt a most authoritative answer. Toofy Grin

Is that telephone number an automatic menu system/recorded message thingy? Or does one have a chat with a human?

Does the pass get closed the second the weather deteriorates or do they decide every morning whether to open/close it for the next 24hours?

It'd be terrible for it to be open at 6pm and then closed at 9pm when one gets to it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I notice there's a Hotel Bonnabel at Lauteret. I wonder if that hotel is still accessible from the Grenoble end if the pass is closed?

http://tinyurl.com/62myyn

I don't suppose one can access any ski area from this hotel?

Probably booked up if it is.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
crosbie, there's a lot of off-piste up there, If you do get to the Col and the weather is bad, they may not even let you get that far, there are some hotels and Chambre d'hotes in Villars d'Arene, there's some cross-country there, and a tiny little ski area at La Chazelet (?) and of course La Grave. We've been fortunate not to have to find anywhere, although one family we had staying did at Easter 2007. The Col is cleared pretty quickly though unless it is very windy or there is extreme avalanche risk
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont, that's very helpful. I'm now thinking it may be better to ski the Saturday on the Grenoble side of the Col, and that at least allows us to waste Saturday getting to Le Bez. if the pass is closed Friday night. I had intended to spend Friday night in Briancon (possibly a bad idea if the weather turns bad and I'm already committed to Grenoble).

Where would you suggest two couples spent a Saturday if one couple had a beginner, and the other couple spent more time in lifts than on the piste?

I think I'll have a look at La Chazalet and La Grave. What's the cheapest of the resorts on this Alpe d'Huez/Deux-Alpes/Grave road that's likely to have a Friday-night-only available?

I don't ask much do I? snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
crosbie, when are you travelling? I really wouldn't be too concerned about the Col being closed, it doesn't happen that often, it is a Route National .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
crosbie wrote:
What's the cheapest of the resorts on this Alpe d'Huez/Deux-Alpes/Grave road that's likely to have a Friday-night-only available?

la Grave or Bourg will have single night accom. Maybe less chance in ADH or LDA. Why don't you stay near Grenoble and ski at Chamrousse or les 7 Laux. It is about 90 mins from Grobobble to Serre Che.

crosbie wrote:
I notice there's a Hotel Bonnabel at Lauteret.

Have you watched The Shining?

Ski tour to the West Summit of the Combeynot from David GEORGE
http://www.vimeo.com/2267138

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 4-12-08 22:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, Laughing

The Bonnabel is also very expensive.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm driving on the 30th Jan. I thought what with the Col di Galibier closing maybe I should worry about going via Frejus or Gap.

I was going to stay either in the Parc Mona Lisa or de Paris in Briancon that night - on the assumption it is possible to get from Calais at 9am to Briancon by around 7pm. Then spend a day skiing having gone up the Briancon cable car.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
crosbie, Galibier is always closed all winter, from November to May, so nothing unusual in that. It goes quite a fair bit higher than the Lauteret too. If you are going to Briancon anyway, by all means use the Frejus tunnel , it is 32€ one way, and 40€ return, but only if you go back within 7 days.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
davidof, Laughing

Here's Jonny

http://youtube.com/v/2TVooUHN7j4
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof, Shining? Jack Nicholson saying "Here's Johnny!" Or something like that. I thought it was a hotel somewhere in Canada?

Is that video your's then? Are you David George? Where there's snow, there's skiers mad enough to ski it.

I think I'll skip the Bonnabel - doesn't look like they have any vacances that day anyway (even if I could afford it).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, well, I am going back to the Grenoble-Isere airport on the Saturday night to transfer the rest of my group to Le Bez for a week at Maison du Bez. So I might as well get used to the Grenoble-La Grave-Lauteret route - practising my handbrake turns on the hairpins. Evil or Very Mad (too much GTA)

It's good to hear Lauteret is usually open. The Google satellite view does seem to show it a bit lower than the cols via Galibier.

The classic snow prayer of hoping it dumps down after arriving on the Saturday night (at 2am) and not before.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
1. Not in the winter you don't.
2. Expensive and a bit round the houses
3. That one.
4. Why would you do that?
snow report
crosbie, in that case, why not stay at the Grenoble side, maybe Bourg d'Oisans, and ski in Alpe d'Huez for the day?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy