Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing after lunch

Poster: A snowHead
Rösti and a large beer
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The sensible answer is to drink sports drinks on the lifts and have a pasta lunch with Pepsi or the like. Don't touch alcohol until you have finished skiing.

That said, nothing beats a burger and a pint.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
erica2004 wrote:
Usually if we stop for lunch for a long time, I'm rubbish at skiing afterwards.

Maybe you could stop for a short, light lunch? I had a Salade Savoyarde and a espresso today, and felt fine all afternoon. Plenty of energy for skiing, but didn't feel like I'd eaten two bricks which is what I normally feel like if I have something like a tartiflette.
I agree with the principle, but not the coffee. For me, if an energetic afternoon is planned, it's a salad (but more than just leaves) or a thick soup, depending on the weather, plus a couple of glasses of red. Morning and afternoon pit-stops, if any, are for a quick Ov(om)altine, only ever touch the stuff in the mountains for some reason.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Butterfly wrote:
erica2004, I find I don't get hungry at all while skiing and last Feb I didn't eat during the day at all, having had just a small bowl of porridge made with water/sweetener to start the day. To be blunt, by 2-3pm I felt like total uncoordinated headachey sh..t on the first couple of days and thereafter made myself stop and have something small (salad, or child's galette), and after that I was fine.

I wish I did not feel hungry .... Sad
all I ever feel is hunger, I wake up and I am starving, always have breakfast,
by lunch I am starving, by 3-is again, and so it goes on,
I am size 12 and do not eat massive portions but eat often,
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

green chaud (hot chocolate with green chartreuse) if it's cold.

Hmm, never tried that, will have to give it a go.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Keep snacking all day. No big meals, but a few energy bars and plenty of water will keep you sorted, with a nice carbo load at lunch (sarnie/pasta/pizza).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, couple of glasses of red Puzzled
I would be laughing all te way down and falling over
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I usually lose my appetite when skiing as well so drink loads of hot chocs and full fat cola with a small snack like soup and that usually does the trick. i usually hace some chocolate in my rucksack as well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
helena57 wrote:
Hurtle, couple of glasses of red Puzzled
I would be laughing all te way down and falling over
Yep, that's about the measure of it. What's wrong with that? Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sports drinks, energy bars, salad, no alcohol, glucose gel sachets.... Shocked rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, nothing wrong if you still can ski wink
I can't do it, I would either want to sleep or be all over the place
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
helena57, I'm with you! I can't/don't drink at lunchtime either.......but the first drink at the end of the day is all the more welcome Very Happy

Sorry Hurtle Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is a great thread. I have yet to get the balance right on the ski-food thing. No matter what angle I take, I don't seem to be up to scratch in the afternoon.

I usually have a good breakfast of the muesli/croissant nature and have no problems until lunch. I used to have a light lunch of say soup and a roll and maybe some chocolate but was never much good after it. Last holiday had a 'proper' lunch of something & chips, pasta, whatever but that killed me: too heavy. Sometimes I had a gluhwein or a small beer, other times not; don't really think that's the difference.

Is it just a fitness thing, I wonder?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy, no problem. Each to her own! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
To all those saying 'no alcohol'

Ahem: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/science/sciencenews/3312579/Beer-after-sport-%27is-good-for-the-body%27.html

Not saying that a session of eight Grande Leffe over lunch will improve matters in the aftertoon obviously, but just a single not-too-strong lager - BEST.
snow report
yeah but once I have that one single not-too-strong-larger, then the beer monster awakes and i must drink more..then there no chance of skiing..

I tend to pack a load of snacks and stuff and spend my time on long slow lifts chomping of cheese and salami or something..ski through lunch and enjoy the less crowded slopes and then retire early to catch the last of the sun before it goes down and some beers.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
I agree with the principle, but not the coffee. For me, if an energetic afternoon is planned, it's a salad (but more than just leaves) or a thick soup, depending on the weather, plus a couple of glasses of red.

The coffee perks up my skiing in the post-lunch lull, but alcohol just makes it worse. I'd be in danger of being asleep on my skis if I had a couple of glasses of wine Embarassed
ski holidays
Decent breakfast, Slurp from the camel thingy while on the move, lunch sans alcohol (falling asleep on skis doesn't suit my particular technique) Cafe rouge burger in Tignes a favourite, back on slope within 45 mins if lucky, further slurps till last lift then a couple of Grand Marnier hot chocs followed by a few beers, dinner followed by more beer (avoid Desperado) Dad dancing, bed and repeat till collapse exhausted at the end of the week.
Family trips take a slightly differen pattern Embarassed Laughing
latest report
little and often or even better, lots and very often !
latest report
paulio,
I have seen an article saying that milk was better than water after sport,
they were suggesting skimmed milk, that was based on tests,
ski holidays
It's heroic, really, that so many of us manage to struggle through a ski holiday, what with having so many really weighty questions to think about. Goggles or glasses? an extra layer? which skis? What shall I have for lunch? Some people just don't realise the effort it all takes. And that's when you get there. How about all the preparation? I spent the first half of the morning making endless phone calls to Tesco Visa card and similar places which left me hanging on for ages - cue those "standing on one leg and rising up onto your toe" exercises. Lots of them, on both legs. "Your patience is appreciated". Then the second half of the morning trying on a succession of every more ghastly jackets in Tacky Max and coming home with nothing more than a £3.99 meat thermometer.

It's not for wimps...
snow conditions
I HATE lunchtime, skiing. "oh you must have some wine"; "oh we must stop for an hour... or more"

Following which, USELESS. Legs heavy as lead from booze; stiff through inaction. I HATE LUNCH.

Equally, without plenty of lunch, I run to a complete stop. I NEED LUNCH. Cooked breakfast essential, too. I NEED FOOD.
latest report
beer
ski holidays
Fill up rucsac and eat on chairlift as the need presents itself. Anything from energy or choccy bars to sarnies and cakes
snow report
Quote:

Sports drinks, energy bars, salad, no alcohol, glucose gel sachets....

All that does sound particularly vile. They'll be advocating early morning runs and self-flagellation next. Laughing
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

All that does sound particularly vile. They'll be advocating early morning runs and self-flagellation next. Laughing
I'd rather someone else did that to me Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

I'd rather someone else did that to me Shocked

Not sure I fancy early morning runs who ever is doing them - although it is sometimes a problem at altitude Laughing
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
I agree with the principle, but not the coffee. For me, if an energetic afternoon is planned, it's a salad (but more than just leaves) or a thick soup, depending on the weather, plus a couple of glasses of red.

The coffee perks up my skiing in the post-lunch lull, but alcohol just makes it worse. I'd be in danger of being asleep on my skis if I had a couple of glasses of wine Embarassed

Funny, from some of the pics I've seen recently, I reckon you all must've been on the sauce.....from around breakfast time..... Toofy Grin wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy