Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Peak Performance items on ebay from Hong Kong geniune?

Poster: A snowHead
Have bought and sold things off ebay and in the main been pretty happy with it. I bought a Peak Performance soft shell a year or two ago but doubt that it was the geniune article - but hey, it's lasted me well and certainly does the job. Looking for a new one and found this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEAK-PERFORMANCE-Men-Windstopper-Hooded-Shell-Jacket-XL_W0QQitemZ220322028405QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE?hash=item220322028405&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
Great price for Peak stuff and it is afterall all made in China, but I've never bought outwith UK. The alternative is that I go into Greaves Sports in Glasgow or Ellis Brigham and pay around £150 for it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boabski, For 30 quid, i very much doubt it's genuine. Try and find the jacket by looking on Peak's website and see if you can compare it there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is PeakPerformance gear generally very good?Been offered it at trade prices, not too sure about it though...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
barthez1980, I love Peak stuff. My jacket and salopettes are both Peak and have done really well over the past 4/5 ski trips - even when the windchill was down to around -30 one day in Lech. Got a few base layers and again excellent, as is the golf stuff too. Now got my wife jacket and salopettes and she loves them too. Turning into some weird Scottish/Swedish family Embarassed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I swear the large black P isn't straight on the jacket. Still ebay is great though if you do your research.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
barthez1980, Peak gear is very good ski gear.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As they say on The Real Hustle "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peak gear is good quality. My mrs has a Peak down filled jacket that she finds super warm. She bought it last season and it's done about 30 ski days + general winter wear and still looks brand new. Cost a few hundred quid though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah, deffo good kit.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Greavsie, the P isn't straight on the real stuff....not saying it is real though
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spot the spelling mistake!!! Faketastic

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Brilliant!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I used to import Spyder skiwear from Hong Kong. Here's how it works with most of the branded stuff that comes out of HK. The company commissions a factory to produce eg. 5000 pieces of a particular item. The factory will gear up which includes sourcing the fabrics, zips, logo'd items, pop-studs etc. The company will then produce the 5000 pieces plus an 'over-run'. This is the grey area, the reason for a over-run is to allow for greater than expected sales or returns. If the over-run items are not taken by the company, they end up on wholesale markets in Hong Kong or China. Interestingly, some companies control the unauthorised sale of their brands very closely, others don't. Spyder and Peak are very lax, Burton are very vigilant as are North Face. Both companies search Ebay and take action if they spot gear on there. The Chinese use tactics to avoid detection such as, not listing the item as 'new' or use terms like TNF.

So, most, not all, of the gear is genuine, but usually a couple of years or more out of date.

Also, you'll never find quality yachting gear such as Musto or Henri LLoyd on the wholesale markets as both companies monitor their manufacturing processes very closely. I think that Spyder and now Peak have allowed their brand names to suffer by not doing so.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster, well spotted! Fake!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
uktrailmonster, nice spot and thanks Mollerski,
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
North Face are very vigilant.

Oh no they're not. I would never, EVER buy north face stuff on eBay, or indeed anywhere other than a proper outdoors shop. I'd be pretty certain that (virtually) EVERY item on this page

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=north+face+goretex&_sacat=See-All-Categories

is fake.

BNWT (brand new with tags) is tantamount to "fake". As is "genuine" as is "Hackett". Ask yourself why a market trader in Burnley would have 1,000 idential TNF goretex jackets that he is happy to start selling for £1.
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

Oh no they're not. I would never, EVER buy north face stuff on eBay, or indeed anywhere other than a proper outdoors shop. I'd be pretty certain that (virtually) EVERY item on this page

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=north+face+goretex&_sacat=See-All-Categories

is fake.

BNWT (brand new with tags) is tantamount to "fake". As is "genuine" as is "Hackett". Ask yourself why a market trader in Burnley would have 1,000 idential TNF goretex jackets that he is happy to start selling for £1.

Of course it's fake. Using one's own brain is the best fake detector. Now, are you sure that the Burnley market trader isn't selling genuine gear for £1? rolling eyes
snow report
Puzzled

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 15-12-08 9:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
If you buy cheap fakes it's a lottery. The jacket could be identical to the real thing or far more likely poor quality tat. Of course the real items will be marked up in price, but that's what you pay for the guarantee of a quality brand. Anything costing peanuts off ebay is likely to be rubbish / stolen / illegal etc.
snow conditions
I bought some North face trousers from ebay years back. Looked iffy when I got them, not the look/feel of the genuine stuff.
So cheap though didn't much care.
First seasons use, they were fine - really no problems!
Second season, not so good- the DWR had worn off and as a result- I became cold and wet!
Suffice to say they've been retired Smile

But they were useful in my first foray when I had to buy everything from scratch, the "cheapness" was useful at the time!

Edit: Lesson was I won't ever bother with clothes from ebay again! Any. Ever.
latest report
Guys i've been looking at the following off of the bay for skiing use as i've just moved to Zurich and intend to do some nice skiing this season...

PEAK man's Performance Gore-Tex down parka Jacket http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110326030168

Peak performance men's GORE-TEX softshell jacket M http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150315638905

Peak Performance Men Ski/Snowboard Goretex Pant SZ M http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150315221931

Now ok they may not be the full "genuine" article, but surely for casual use they can't be that bad an option for the money? The sellersh have a HUGE amount of good feedback so I don't think it's TOO much of a gamble, and I imagine the soft shell underneath the down jacket is VERY warm.

I really don't care about brand snobbery or paying hundreds and hundreds for things... if they "do the job" and happen to look good then that's fine by me. My pretty face does the rest. Neh Neh

Thoughts?
ski holidays
they don't even look like good copies to me, but you pays your money etc...
latest report
Well they don't look "bad" in terms of being scraggly made etc... and as I say i'm not a hardcore mountain skiier so i'm sure they'd be warm enough. Ahh what the hell I may just try it and see... it's only a £100 or so. Smile
snow report
Richdog, If you're not bothered about brand snobbery, why not buy a genuine jacket from a genuine budget manufacturer. This stuff is going to be complete shite anyway.
snow conditions
Where's a good pleace to get very jackets for not too much money though? Didn't a poster above say thatt hese Peak Performance jackets are mostly all of the same production lines anyway?
snow report
TOTAL BARGAINS RIGHT HERE:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=45816

Cool
ski holidays
Richdog wrote:
Where's a good pleace to get very jackets for not too much money though? Didn't a poster above say thatt hese Peak Performance jackets are mostly all of the same production lines anyway?

Well the one in the original link was certainly fake and wouldn't have come from the same factory. Unless they forgot how to spell the brand name Wink Seems like you want to convince yourself these are genuine quality items, rather than cheap fake tat. If you want a bargain then go to TKmax or look for discounted items at reputable shops. It's not like there aren't many around at the moment.
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

is fake.

That's a very Northernist flat cap and whippets statement, What I can tell you for FACT is that their is a ski shop shop in Burnley that is the official stockist for "Tsunami". If your pocket wont stretch to this go down the motorway for 5 miles and you will come to Boundary Mill Stores, which is a brand new outlet store which has a Lowe Alpine concession, there you can buy genuine Goretex Windstopper tops RRP £140 for £50.

No you are more likely to find snide North Face somewhere other than Burnley Market, besides don't you think NF is a bit Chavvy now.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy