Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommended ski purchase a larger lad.......

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. This is my debut post on Snowheads. I have been browsing the forum and having a good time reading various bits and bobs whilst trying to get some work done. Can be a bit annoying minimising the window everytime somebody comes through the door.

Anyway my question is this. I have about 5 - 6 weeks skiing under my belt now and am absolutely addicted to the sport. I nearly love it as much as playing my beloved rugby. I'm looking to buy my first skis but am not sure what to consider. I've looked around on the internet and have been to S&R (Bristol) and have researched the various brands etc... S&R is always so busy though, plus quite pricey.

I assume I need to list my vital stats: They are weight 110Kg's, height 6'3" I am getting quite competent on the snow now and will tackle any red runs and a few blacks. Have had a few carving lessons so I am going to try and get to grips with that when I get to Ischgl in February. I'm not yet looking to go off piste so much, but you never know so a ski that can handle some off piste action too would be good.

Thanks for reading.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get this months fallline mag it has 10% off EB voucher in it and then go up to the EB on whiteladies, sunday mornings is best time (for both shops), as its not to busy, and the staff are far better then S+R. Though S+R has a bigger selection.

as for skis Head monster76/8, K2 Apache Xfire, salomon Xwing, volkl AC30 should cover the piste prestige with bit of off piste..

You're the same stats as me, and I have the crossfires in 181cm, couple of season old, not sure how the new ones stack up.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, something like a Head Monster 82 might suit you - pretty nifty all over the mountain and can handle a bit of ommph. Not sure if S&R are stocking them, but EB by the Downs sell Heads.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Greavsie, I'm no expert in these matters, nor am I at skiing Embarassed I'm 6'1" and 90 kg and bought K2 Apache Crossfire a year back (06/07 model) based on rave reviews. So I would agree with papasmurf, on this - can't comment on his other recommendations though. I find the Crossfires excellent for fast carving and I've only ventured to the side of the piste rather than off piste - the newer versions have wider waists than mine so have been designed to handle off piste a bit better than the original model. Try ebay for skis and the www.ebay.de (German site) has loads more choice
Oh and welcome to Snowheads - hopefully someone with a better knowledge of skis will answer better than me.
Hope you enjoy Ischgl - keep wanting to go there but I'm always drawn back to St Anton Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Excellent. Thanks. I will take a trip to EB to have a look around. I will drag my GF along with me for a stroll around the downs as an excuse for going to spend loads of money.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the ideal ski for you based on your specs is the 07/08 K2 Seth in a 189 length. I believe someone here may have have a pair for sale wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ischgl is great. My friend who lived in Germany took us there this year as a bit of a lads week away. Needless to say it was great fun. Loads of beers followed by copious amounts of Williams pear stuff. I would highly recommend it. Thats Ischgl not the drink. After Ischgl in Feb we are going to plan our 2010 trip and St Anton is top of the list. I assume its got a good apres scene too? From what i've read the skiing goes without saying.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
now if you'd posted them up 2 weeks ago then i'd have probably gone for them
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd second the Head Monster 82s. They do everything very well from boilerplate ice to fresh powder.
Some alternatives could be Movement Sparks, Line Prophet 90s. All available from EB.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Similar stats and experience here (6'2 / 95kg, couple more weeks on the snow, but fewer lessons). Was also looking for something more piste oriented, but with a little bit for off piste just in case I do give it a try.
My shortlist of skis to try out was similar to many listed above, namely: K2 Apache Crossfire, Volkl AC30, Fischer Fuse 73, and Rossignol Zenith (think it was Z5 I tried last, but can't be sure), and maybe something from the Head Xenon range.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Forgot to say that I bought by Apache Crossfire from Ellis Brigham but tried them on the slope at Xscape first. Maybe Greavsie, you should do similar if you have an indoor slope close by. Doubt that you would get the skis cheaper in Ischgl, especially in high season. PS You'll enjoy St Anton if you like Ischgl. I was put off Ischgl by my neighbour who's boss was there last year and thought the Russian mafia were taking over - that said he could have well went during the Russian holidays by the sound of things as I've not really heard those reports from others.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah I had heard reports about the Russians before I went this year, apparently they clear the shops out buying all the expensive gear. I saw no evidence of them though Mainly German, Austrian & Swiss. It was a very good atmosphere everywhere we went. It was nice to get back to Austria after a typically Brits abroad holiday in the Ibizaesque Andorra. Still had fun there though and it was a cheap deal so I can't complain. I have been to the Snowdome in Tamworth but didn't get around to trying anything. I may do something like that before I fork out my hard earned.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Greavsie wrote:

I assume I need to list my vital stats: They are weight 110Kg's,.................... .

Pontoons. Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pontoons. lol. Very good, but dont feel bad for me Mollerski. Its all muscle i'm afraid.............
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Greavsie wrote:
Pontoons. lol. Very good, but dont feel bad for me Mollerski. Its all muscle i'm afraid.............

K2 Pontoons, superb all mountain tools. wink
snow conditions
he he he. I thought you were just being rude. Not a great name for a ski to suit the Heavier amongst us is it?
snow report
Greavsie wrote:
he he he. I thought you were just being rude. Not a great name for a ski to suit the Heavier amongst us is it?

Have you considered a pair of Barges?
snow conditions
papasmurf, This 10% EB voucher, I can't find it in my Dec Fall-Line mag. Was it in Nov issue?
snow report
hhmm now I'm not so sure...

I'm sure it was in the issue that I got sent on the last week of Nov, which woudl be the Dec one..its a small folded card thing..could it have been ski and snowboard..or Novs falline..or subs only..

Anyone else get the voucher and can confirm or deny??

**Edit**
its a postcard sized insert, one half is a send me a brochure thing and the other side is the voucher..bloke on some k2 xplorers in a purple jacket on the front. It says use in shops or mail order, and the code to quote online is 0809CATS..so if you can't find it, then use that code instead and order online or mention it in the shop and i'm sure they'll give it to you aswell.
snow conditions
papasmurf, Cheers many thanks for that, I called the shop but they wouldn't give me a discount without the actual voucher. So I used the discount code online and it worked fine. Good job and thanks again Smile
snow conditions
Greavsie... what club do you play your rugby at?? we're local see Smile
snow report
swskier. I play for Bishopston. whereabouts are you in Bristol then?
snow report
Bishopston still play over in locklease behind the MOD?
latest report
Yeah thats right. Next to Dings Crusaders. Are there many Snowheads on here from Bristol then. Was looking at the gatherings page to see if anything was happening around the area. Dry slope etc...
latest report
I'm from just outside clevedon, so naturally i play for clevedon! Only at colts level though!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy