Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maurienne Valley - St. Jean d'arves / St. Sorlin

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys I hope this is the right place for me to post this question?

I've got a rep friend who's on his way to the Maurienne Valley, specifically St. Jean d'arves and St. Sorlin. I'm going to go visit him from the 10th to the 22nd of December and wondered if anyone can tell me what it's like for a boarder? I've searched the forum and found Colin B's trip report and wondered if anyone else has had any experience of the resort. I'd like to know any good pubs / clubs for english speakers.

Also, I'm going to be flying in to Lyon airport (LYS) and my friend may not be able to pick me up Sad I hear there is a train through to the St. Maurienne valley, has anyone had any experience on this train journey or info like price, journey times etc. Any tips in general for a non-french speaking traveller would be much appreciated. I'm going to be lugging a board bag and suitcase as well.

I've had a little google around about st. jean d'arves and I see that it's part of Les Sybelles which links a whole load of areas, does anyone have any info on good areas to board or avoid (for an intermediate boarder).

Any info would be much appreciated!

cheers,

Grim.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
grimmy, Welcome to snowHead See you have already found my report. I'm not a boarder or a party animal but I'll try to help further. Both times I've been I've stayed in St Sorlin and driven although the 2nd year I left the car in St Jean de Maurienne and caught the bus up from the train station. It was fairly expensive from what I remember for a fairly short journey, about 20 euros each way then. Trains seemed to be coming from Chambery and were pretty busy. In St Sorlin there is a Grotte Yeti bar and also a nightclub, Avalanche I think, I didn't use these though. There weren't too many English people about, mostly French and quite a few Dutch, I think the English contingent is growing though. I drove through St Jean D'Arves and it looked quieter (not that St Sorlin is lively) but it's only just up the road from St Sorlin, It's a nice place I shall go back again one day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, thanks a lot for the info, that's just what I needed.

Thankfully it looks like my mate has secured a day off on the 10th so will be able to pick me up. Which is handy because I think I'd have a little cry if I had to get there on my own.

Very Happy

cheers,

Grim.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're in the Maurienne area, you can also head up to Orelle, the not-so-secret "Fourth Valley", which goes as high as 3000m+. You'll need a 3 Valleys Lift pass though - not sure where to get one on that side but I assume there's somewhere? If you haven't come across the Caron pass from Val T, you get there from the village of Orelle at 900m - there's a cablecar. I had the best day on a board I've had so far right there in Jan this year - hardly anyone there, loads of wide pistes with powder pockets inbetween them and spectacular views for miles over the top of the Alps...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy