Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in deeper stuff

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, certainly it is dynamic, but if you are trying to get both to sink an equal amount then you are almost as likely to have more weight on the uphill as the downhill, aren't you? By now it is not really something I think about. Actually my legs are not usually together in powder - only a little different from on piste really. But I know my skiing is effective rather than stylish.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno wrote:
Chasseur, why?

Perhaps I didn't express myself particularly well. So, as I understand it, modern skis are designed to turn essentially by changing pressure from downhill to uphill ski. OK, there is more to it, but to keep this straightforward, I was suggesting that to initiate a turn, a change of pressure is required much as one would do on a groomed piste. Therefore, as suggested, one needs to maintain a closer balance between uphill/downhill ski, but a bias in pressure terms on the downhill ski.

I think if I tried 50/50%, I'd probably get more than a bit of lying down time Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chasseur, i'd say that modern skis work by you:

1. tipping them on edge
2. putting pressure on them so they bend

as we have discussed, you don't really use edges in soft snow by the ski turns by flexing, provided it is tipped over in the first place (if you make them bend but they are flat you'll just go in a straight line)

that said, I don't really disagree with your 55/45 statement except to the extent that i don't think anyone can really accurately judge their weight distribution. you certainly don't need to be *exactly* 50/50 all the time
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, I kind of assumed we were already beyond points 1 & 2 - never assume I suppose. I used the 55/45 as an approximate example to understand whether it was a better spread of weight/pressure for skiing in powder against skiing on-piste. I was just curious, as off-piste skiing is something that I could do with spending more time at to round off my ability.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I found last season that practising on-piste with feet much closer together and nearer to 50/50 weighting was a good idea - after so much emphasis on the wider stance and weight on the outside ski. It's no good trying that for the first time in a few feet of powder.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chasseur, points 1 and 2 are about as much as my brain can cope with Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, I'd say that "old school" skis work by;

1. tipping them on edge
2. putting pressure on them so they bend

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Actually, if you make them bend but have them flat I'd expect, on a floaty enough [s]board[/s] ski that you'd maybe pop out and up a little. Could be fun...[/u][/i][/code]
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno, having just cracked a bottle of red, I'm right there with you Toofy Grin

pam w, that sounds like a good idea - will practice in Mayrhofen in Jan snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name, so are you saying that old school and modern skis work the same way? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well that'll knock the arguement about modern skis contributing to newbie skiers being out of control and skiing too fast Razz
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno,

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/17

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/10574

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/14431

wink

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 6-12-08 13:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, errr, yes. Puzzled

That's what side cut is all about.

Actually, no. Old skule skis worked better. That's why my new powder skis are a FIS approved GS model. (Last year's powder ski was a FIS slalom ski, but they're a little twitchy at high speed). I may need to find my 215 SGs for the bumps down the side of La Heirse (sp).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, Your new alias isn't really hiding who you are very well wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, am I so obvious? Darn!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
am I so obvious?

Yes Laughing
snow report
Just tried deep powder in Grand Targhee - but with fat skis: Salomon Czar to start with - made life MUCH easier. then tested Vokl AC50 - which is much narrower and the techniques used in the fat ski helped a lot... So its experience and the skis I think.
latest report
under a new name,

cracking ...Laughing wink I prefered your old one anyway... just change your old name to initials..or Spitfire or something..Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy