Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in deeper stuff

Poster: A snowHead
Last time I went skiing I really struggled in deeper snow. I am not talking 6 foot deep, but maybe 2 or 3 foot deep. What I kept doing is turning too tight and falling over forwards because the skis would just grip too much. I know a bad workman blames his tools but I was on narrow carving skis at the time so I am hoping this year being on some all mountain skis will help me out a bit.

Is it really as simple as leaning back a bit and taking wider turns? The thing that was making me turn tightly last time was trying to control my speed. I guess I need to let my skis go a bit more?

Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had this problem first time i skied proper deep snow. The key is don't try to force the turns, just take it real smooth and let them come round. Perhaps skis slightly closer together than normal too, helps each ski experience the same terrain/forces. It really shows up any symetry issue with your tipping of the skis too as if they're not angled the same they turn at far differnt rates extremely quickly! Wouldn't particularly recommend leaning back, more stay centred on the skis.

at the end of the day, just relax, more subtlety in your movements and enjoy the powder Laughing snowHead !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In deeper snow i just keep my feet closer together and lean the hips into the turn more than actually force an edge to turn. It's smooth and effortless and feels like i'm floating and gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

In deeper snow i just keep my feet closer together and lean the hips into the turn more than actually force an edge to turn. It's smooth and effortless and feels like i'm floating and gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside

This works for me too, although i tend to try to keep equal pressure over both feet too. All being well it should feel smooth and effortless. Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The key is to have sufficient speed (power) to overcone the resistance of the snow. First steps off piste require the right snow and gradients in order to achieve some success, along with some experienced tuition. One has to work at the speed of the skis. All to often we see a skier's upper body initiating the third turn while the legs and feet has still not reached the required speed.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DrE wrote:
It really shows up any symetry issue with your tipping of the skis too as if they're not angled the same they turn at far differnt rates extremely quickly!
Yeah had that issue a bit too! Very Happy

I do have a tendency to force the skis around into turns and that definitely doesn't work in deep snow. Going to Val Thorens for a week in January so I'm going to seek out some deep stuff and hopefully practise makes perfect!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
troublemaker wrote:

Is it really as simple as leaning back a bit and taking wider turns?

Yes.

Don't worry about anything else yet - but remember its lean and NOT squat. Legs extended! Backseat is backseat wherever you are.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
troublemaker wrote:
Is it really as simple as leaning back a bit and taking wider turns? The thing that was making me turn tightly last time was trying to control my speed. I guess I need to let my skis go a bit more? Puzzled

NO! Whatever you do, don't lean back, stay centered in your boots with your weight evenly distributed over both skis........

Some video tips here http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/online-tips.htm

regards,

Greg
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No, don't lean back (but certainly don't lean forward!) and even weighting of the feet is important. Wider skis will help a lot. You can turn small turns if you like but larger will be easier till you get the hang of it.
In every off piste condition except light, deep powder (including breakable crust) a good carved turn without skid is what you want.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball wrote:
and even weighting of the feet is important.

exactly Very Happy

Fore-aft posture, ski size, initiation, hat colour etc are all secondary issues ...

If you don't stand evenly on your skis, one will "sink" and the other rise ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Trouble is, when I evenly weight my skis, and my head says 'turn', nothing happens except a general gathering of speed. Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, at least you've got the most important part right Very Happy speed is your friend Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, Laughing I know that feeling!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, someone gave me a tip. If you actually turn your head, your feet will follow. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What worked for me was keeping the tips of the ski's level with each other, if you allow one ski to move back, probably the downhill side then you can find the ski's get snatched apart, for me this also had the effect of distributing the wieght better. The other tip I find good is not to go looking for your ski's. When my ski's first dissappeared below the snow I found my self looking down for them, if you do this early on you can find your body posture goes all a bit wrong, see above posts plus as speed helps it also helps to be looking much further ahead to plan your line so you can react more calmly to the need to turn . I'm not a teacher or an expert but these things helped me.
latest report
No ones' mentioned bouncing - sink down and complete the turn, plant the pole to initiate the next turn & come up strongly and steer into the next turn whilst your skis are light, near the surface, before sinking into the next turn.

It can be hard work on flatter slopes (as you need your strength to come up against gravity), but relatively effortless on steeper slopes as you tend to pop forwards out of the slope rather than upwards.

Watch any good powder skiier & see how they use the pole-plant combined with up unweighting....

Good practice on a shallower slope is straight running with no turns: plant, bounce, plant, bounce to get the feel of the snow, then start adding in some turns...
ski holidays
how to ski in deep stuff? you tell the slope services to groom it for you Toofy Grin

sorry, not trying to kill the fun Little Angel
ski holidays
Forget the turns, just let rip and straightline it! Very Happy

But if you must make a few turns, try to keep your weight more evenly distributed across the skis (bringing them closer together makes this easier), but otherwise ski normally as you would on groomed piste. You can practice this on piste first.

Leaning back is never good, stay centred over your boots as normal.

Fatter all-mountain skis with a less aggressive sidecut should be less grabby in deep snow and will make the whole thing easier. But there's no substitute for good technique.
snow report
geoffers wrote:
No ones' mentioned bouncing -

I'm not that convinced that bouncing is as necessary with modern wider skis, get your balance and weight distribution right, tip em on edge and let the ski do the rest, job done Smile
snow report
kitenski wrote:
geoffers wrote:

I'm not that convinced that bouncing is as necessary with modern wider skis, get your balance and weight distribution right, tip em on edge and let the ski do the rest, job done Smile

That's fine if you want to do big GS turns down a relatively gentle slope which is wide enough to use the skis natural radius when you edge it. Other slopes, narrower or steeper for example, might require more pressure on the skis to bend them into a tighter arc. I agree that this isn't bouncing as such, but its not a two-footed park and ride either. For deep stuff I'd be looking to use a lot of pressure in the bottom half of the turn to control turn shape, ski with more even pressure on both feet than I would on piste (closer together might help with this) and to fight to keep as centred as possible - not too far forward, not too far back. This is much more important in deep snow than on piste because the consequences of getting out of balance are normally more severe.

There's no substitute for getting a decent instructor working with you to make sure you're getting the fundamentals right. They will choose the right terrain for you and can give you immediate feedback of your technique and how to change it. Maybe a couple of hours of private lessons as an introduction to powder skiing when conditions are good?
snow conditions
troublemaker, It sounds as though you're panicking a bit in the turn. The ski take longer to get round in deeper snow because of the resistance, and if you're not in a narrow couloir you need to allow them the time to turn. Let the ski do the work, but you have to stand a suffer a bit. Certainly do not lean back.
ski holidays
Quote:
It sounds as though you're panicking a bit in the turn. The ski take longer to get round in deeper snow because of the resistance, ...

It doesn't take longer than a carved turn on piste, it is just that you cannot skid it round so much (not at all when the powder has compacted a bit).
snow conditions
snowball, It seems longer, though because you do have to wait for the ski, and most people when trying off piste for the first time do try to do V turns rather than nice arcs.
ski holidays
Well sure, easiski, but a V turn isn't a carved turn, its a skidded swivel.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
geoffers wrote:

How does that work with reverse sidecut skis? I thought the nuSkool powder technique was smearing (sliding) the turns?
latest report
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
kitenski wrote:
geoffers wrote:

How does that work with reverse sidecut skis? I thought the nuSkool powder technique was smearing (sliding) the turns?

in soft snow (which is deep enough to cover the ski) the sidecut does not make you turn. the flex of the ski, along with any input (eg rotational movements) by the skier does this. Reverse sidecut skis make it easier to provide the input. reverse camber skis mean that the ski is bent already so the tips will not dive
latest report
In heavy snow at the EoSB I was working on retraction type turn initiations which seemed to work well.
ski holidays
In the Alps you don't often get the chance to ski deep, light powder so the recondite stuff above would only have occasional use.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On piste, I generally spread my weight downhill/uphill ski at around 70/30%, so would it be fair to say that off-piste this should perhaps be 55/45% for example? Presumably there still has to be some difference to allow one's skis to turn as they're designed?
ski holidays
Chasseur, why?
ski holidays
spyderjon, yeah, I like retraction turns too.
latest report
Chasseur, no, 50/50% is essential. Skis aren't designed for any particular weighting. I have heard some people argue for 50/50 on piste too, though it is not what I was taught.
snow report
In VT last April, having spent several insightful hours learning that it doesn't matter what side of a mogul you plant yer ass on . . . it's going to hurt . . . even more so when FtS already has his grubby mitts on all your pain relief . . .

I digress, Our instructor took us into the soft stuff . . . and me on 165 SX needles so at 95Kg, 'float' is not a term I'm ever going to experience on these . . . but . . . by locking my knees and ankles together and lifting my toes with a little rear weighting I was able to steer with my ass, surfing on my heels. It was a lot like boarding with a rear foot slash. It had to have been as ugly as sin and it turned my thighs to jelly but it did actually keep me sliding. However, the smallest change to tip weighing had them burrowing and me ejected Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Codeine....oh yeh baby Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
An instructor I had told me that the technique in poweder is the same as for the groomed piste. I'm no expert but wink technique and fitness IMV. If you've got good on-piste technique and have a good level of fitness then you should be able to ski the powder. Smile
ski holidays
Of course a huge amount of it is confidence - the confidence to actually do the same, and with an extra degree of Oomph rather than an extra degree of instinctive caution. This applies particularly to breakable crust - though there I find it is best to try to ski something near the natural turn radius of the ski, rather than forcing tight turns as some people do,.
snow report
Masque, self teaching yourself towards dolphin turns. Very impressive. Cool

Just finish the turn with your weight centered again and you've cracked it snowHead
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
Chasseur, no, 50/50% is essential. Skis aren't designed for any particular weighting. I have heard some people argue for 50/50 on piste too, though it is not what I was taught.

I doubt you would really achieve 50/50% most of the time in powder unless your legs are totally glued together or your turns are very shallow. If I presume my typical weighting on piste is 70/30% (it could easily be 80/20 or 60/40 in practice, I've never skied with load cells measuring dynamic boot pressure!), then I'm probably more like 60/40% in powder. What I mean is that I don't ski all that much differently in powder, I'm just a bit more aware of the pressure on the outside ski.
latest report
i have no clue what the distribution of weight is between my feet. what i do know is that i am always aware of making sure that one ski does not dig in much more than the other and making adjustments to prevent that
snow report
Arno wrote:
i have no clue what the distribution of weight is between my feet. what i do know is that i am always aware of making sure that one ski does not dig in much more than the other and making adjustments to prevent that

Exactly right. Skiing is a dynamic sport, with constantly changing conditions. You'll get plenty of feedback if you get pressure distribution wrong, so tune in to that and make adjustments accordingly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy