Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going skiing in school term times

Poster: A snowHead
Guvnor wrote:
Make 'em take holidays when the schools are closed.

Your wish is granted.

I work with a lot of teachers across the country. I can't remember a single time when one of them complained that they had it harder than equivalent status jobs in other employment sectors. Plenty complain that the job is too demanding, but never in comparison to "those slackers in the private sector". That kind of phrase only seems to be uttered by those outside education about those inside it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
Ray Zorro, agreed. My daughter is in her first year of full time teaching, in a very demanding school, and working 104 hour weeks. Hopefully she will get on top of it and calm down a bit as she becomes more experienced; at present the stress is causing her lots of problems. I'd like to see some of these "easy life" people coping with a class of unruly adolescents twice their size. Another friend has just become headteacher in a primary school in a good catchment area - very high performing school. All her teachers are in before her in the morning (she arrives at 8 am) and she's having to chase them out of the school at night, hours after lessons finish.

One wonders why, as it's such an easy life with such a great pension, all the people who moan about their own much harder lot are not doing it. wink

is she working so many hours because she does not 'know the ropes' yet? I would have thought that once she has set up all her teaching strategies (and works out the answers to the questions she is marking wink ) that they can be used for next year etc and it will be a lot easier.

Still, no matter how many hours she works per week I doubt she will ever be able make up the 13 weeks holiday on people with proper jobs wink (joke Shocked ) taxi .....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

pam w, And with my arithmetic, that is 5x 12 hour days, which means she is working 22 hour days on Saturday and Sunday to make up a 104 hour week. I sincerely hope it does not get any harder for her.....

I think PamW was saying that she added up the hours wrong and it should have been about 70-74 hours rather than 104. As a school governor at an infant school I saw most teachers arrive at 8 and finish about 5. Plus prep time at home makes about 55 hours a week for experienced teachers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beequin, what about all those free periods, long lunches and coffee breaks ? surely you do not count them in the 8 to 5 day? wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And 55-60 hours is a regular working week for those in many industries......without the 13 weeks holiday.....and many other professions (Legal, banking (!), medical) work considerably longer.....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well maybe those people should change jobs and become teachers, after all there's no shortage of jobs. After all, who'd be so stupid to work in industry when there's the option of becoming what seems to be more or less a sinecure. In fact, I can' believe there's a shortage of teachers at all.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

is she working so many hours because she does not 'know the ropes' yet?

Only to an extent. My mother was doing way more than the 09:00 - 15:30 which school hours would suggest even after 40 years of teaching in primary schools.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guvnor, there was a study by PWC a few years ago into teacher workload issues. One of its conclusions was that teachers worked a similar number of hours per year to comparable jobs in other employment sectors. The long holidays were balanced out by the longer than average working week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops, In respect of free periods, etc. no, the teachers generally had things to do in the classroom during lunch and coffee breaks. Meanwhile 9-5 is always described as a 40 hour week. Where's the difference. Also bear in mind these are infant school teachers without a lot of marking to do.
Guvnor, And do those professions really do those hours - not in my experience and definitely not for the whole year (and if they do they get handsomely rewarded).
I write as a relatively disinterested party. I am not a teacher, my own hpw are about 45, and my spouse is a lawyer who probably also works about 55 hpw (without massive reward).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I only know 2 people employed in the state school system both are paid 6 figure salaries. I would not swop jobs with either of them, particularly the one that is a Comprehensive school head.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Apologies, this is straying too far from the original question, where the answer would be no, you can't have extra time off - sorry.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beequin, I know many who do, and used to myself, so yes.....handsomely rewarded? Depends on what they do. And as for teaching - as I have said before - it is as much a vocation as a career, and it is not as if anyone who chooses to go into teaching goes into it blindly
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
pam w, I didn't say it was an easy life BUT it certainly has many plus points.

You didn't, but thefatcontroller did.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia wrote:
I think what's wrong here is that holiday companies profit from the fact that parents/teachers can only travel certain weeks of the year and hike prices accordingly...

That is just simple market economics.

When they can fill all the beds, they charge as much as the market will stand for those beds.

When they can't, they charge lower amounts to try and fill enough to still make a profit.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guvnor wrote:
beequin, I know many who do, and used to myself, so yes.....handsomely rewarded? Depends on what they do. And as for teaching - as I have said before - it is as much a vocation as a career, and it is not as if anyone who chooses to go into teaching goes into it blindly

Deja vu! rolling eyes

You still seem to assume that teachers are complaining about their lot. Pointing things out or mentioning them isn't the same as complaining.

Respect to the original poster! Tongue in cheek question flushes out the same old 'my barber cuts a teacher's hair, and he says' crap.
ski holidays
beequin, note the wink wink - i was joking wink
latest report
My son and I are going skiing in term time, Jan the 11th to Val D. The reason , here in Scotland half term in February is 2 days , the first full week break after xmas is Easter which is just too long to wait.
snow report
rayscoops, yep wink now you mention it Embarassed
snow conditions
The hours for a teacher are long (or can be depending who you are), I guess the same can be said for most jobs - it varies depending on the commitment of the individual. Mrs Z is in school from 7:30 till 5:30 most days. There are staff meetings after school 3 nights of the week. Every evening at home she is still doing work related emails etc etc This time of year there are the reports to do (all done at home). Over the Oct half term, she was in school most days as there was an inspection the following week, the same is true for the other holidays. Last year she was even expected to go into school in the August holidays before she officially started (and got paid) from the September.

I would suggest than any of us that post on here during the day are not that over-worked. Wink
ski holidays
Ray Zorro wrote:
I would suggest than any of us that post on here during the day are not that over-worked. Wink

I teach, but I've been posting today cos we've been closed for snow.

That should guarantee another three pages Razz
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy