Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BC snow stoke

Poster: A snowHead
In an effort to get me psyched up for my upcoming trip please post any sighting of actual snow here from those on the ground.

Binning my flight looking like an option at the moment Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When you going fatbob, and where you going??
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, easy to make to snow fatbob, buy some REALLY expensive golf clubs and convince yourself that you would rather use them than ski. And then take NO snow gear with you...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's snowing in Fernie.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
parlor, Maybe I should book a trip to a deluxe chalet in Verbier thereby guaranteeing your copious pow will turn to bulletproof hardpack for a 2 week period over Xmas while BC gets puked on.

Or take my mountain bike.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, i take it you are performing your snow dance vigorously?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
have faith in the snowgods Very Happy
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Cheer up, some nice rain on the way ... Little Angel

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, What does that actually mean - some severe events after 13 Dec which may be above or below freezing?

I think the problem to date is not lack of precipitation just unseasonably warm temps (while Alaska has been getting slammed)
snow conditions
 brian
brian
fatbob, it means well above average temps with a decent lump of precip this weekend (mostly rain below 2000m, mostly snow above that, how high are the coast mountains anyway ?) then same again next midweek then pretty much anything could happen after that.

Edit to add: that's for Vancouver, I guess Whistler is a fair bit further North ?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, you could try reading this, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852, or very quickly:

top set of lines = temperature at around 1500m - read from left vertical scale
bottom lines = precipitation - read from rh vertical scale. don't read too much into the numbers. the bigger the spike the more snow.

there are lots of lines (20 runs of the same model with slightly different input data) when they're all close together, the runs agree more, so the forecast is more reliable- eg temp out to 9 dec looks quite well grouped, then a bit uncertain afterwards.

the thicker lines -
green is the "most accurate' run - used by forecast sites a lot
blue is the same but 'to a lower resolution' - a check or control
white is the average of all of the runs
res is the 30 yr average.

in conclusion: bit warm and wet.

Laughing see brians there before me
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not necessariliy going to be in Whistler - its not that far north or higher - I might be forecasting a long drive to Golden.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, Kicking Horse getting dumped on and have been-excellent start to the season. LL/Sunshine got 20cm yesterday with more on teh way..

Raining in Revelstoke,
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, only if you book with [b]Arno[/b. Guaranteed awesome conditions...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How much is it snowing in Fernie?

I go there on 20 December and am trying to stop looking anxiously at the Webcams every half hour Sad

RCR are still showing Fernie as opening on 6 December but I find it hard to imagine that it will from some of the pictures I have seen of the bowls Shock The best I can see from the forecasts is snow sometime around 10 December, although I realise that weather in town and weather on the hill at Fernie can be completely different???
latest report
CB1 wrote:
How much is it snowing in Fernie?

I go there on 20 December and am trying to stop looking anxiously at the Webcams every half hour Sad

RCR are still showing Fernie as opening on 6 December but I find it hard to imagine that it will from some of the pictures I have seen of the bowls Shock The best I can see from the forecasts is snow sometime around 10 December, although I realise that weather in town and weather on the hill at Fernie can be completely different???

Unfortunately not that different - if its raining in time, chances are its raining at least at the bottom of the hill even if th etop of the bowls are getting puked on.
latest report
Temps in the freezer and nothing but snow predicted for the next bit starting on Sat and snowing through Wed. Ski areas had planned to open on the 6th but warm rain has postponed many openings in N. ID and across the border in B.C. hopefully limited openings the 13th.

There's a lot of anxious riders around here after last winter and patience is gone we've lost the snow on the local areas twice now.

Long range forecast indicate we have 6 weeks of storms set to roll in and drop 80% of our winter moisture sure hope they aren't wrong. Very Happy
latest report
Well last weekends storm sucked, warmer and drier than predicted now it's 2' predicted in the Mtns for this Fri/Sat with a major cold front coming in after, temps in Farenheit 0-22 Sun-Wed.
Long range forecast still predicting most of the moisture in the next 5 weeks. rolling eyes
snow conditions
pinhead wrote:

Long range forecast still predicting most of the moisture in the next 5 weeks. rolling eyes

Most of the moisture in the next two weeks would be better ... snowHead
snow report
brian, is there an index page for the areas that wetterzentrale has charts for like the vancouver one above, please?
ski holidays
Fernie opening this weekend with limited runs, for what it's worth. Right now, it'll be patchy and potentially have just the upper mountain open from what I can tell. Snow's coming though, we had a decent spell last night but it wasn't heavy - maybe 1-2" on the ground in town. Warm today, going to plummet to -20 for the weekend and there's a potentially a decent amount of snowfall coming Friday.
latest report
DaveC, sounds a lot like last season? I remember feeling anxious exactly this time last year and turning up to a foot every other day for 10 days over New Year snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sharkymark wrote:
DaveC, sounds a lot like last season? I remember feeling anxious exactly this time last year and turning up to a foot every other day for 10 days over New Year snowHead

Yep, almost the exact same except a week behind schedule. Today's promised snow started up at lunch time ish as a light flurry and has been getting heavier all day. 2 inches in town so far (it's 4:35pm now), and it was forecast to actually get going tonight - so hopefully we're off to the races Very Happy

However, a big cold snap's followed the low pressure and we're looking at highs of -20 all week Skullie
latest report
Sharkymark wrote:

Fingers crossed for that!

I'm out to Red Mountain on 5th Jan. Red is two weeks late opening but 21cm fell yesterday so should be opening very soon.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnnyrotten, Hope you got the red white and you card for Red Mtn save ya $.

Storm less than predicted Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
pinhead, season pass snowHead I'm there until they close in April, doing the CSIA I and II course. 3 weeks to go and stoked, just bring on the snow...
latest report
Fernie was... interesting today? I think they just didn't have chance to groom in the new snow so they couldn't open much. Too cold to do too many laps, some nice turns in the mellower ungroomed foot or two of pow between open groomed runs - tons closed though. I figure they'll open a fair bit more tomorrow, but we need more snow to get the proper terrain open.
snow report
Heard Lookout was good but still limited opening there, Silver postponed until Thur.

johnnyrotten, Great place to spend a season and you've got plenty to choose from in ski areas if you get bored.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah another storm watch for 17th/18th with temps so low should be great Pow. Temps low over weekend. More poss snow into Monday 22nd.
snow report
Aye and about time Smile Red got a good 40cm hit earlier this week and more on the way, first chair is opening this Friday according to the website.

Brutal low temperatures in that arctic air over Canada right now. Looking at highs around -20C at Red's base station this week, I expect other place have it colder still.
snow report
I`m in Red Mt as well this season for CSIA I and II level:)
Arriving on 19.01.
latest report
cbr7, sounds like Nonstop?
snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:

Great wasn't it Smile

Good snowfall last week in Big White (50+ cm). Base now up to 94 cm, brutally cold and a little more snow on the way. Should be great in the next few weeks.
ski holidays
Snowing again now - woke up to an inch or two on the ground and still falling. Here's hoping this is the start...
snow conditions
DaveC, Looks like the next few days should be pretty white, cold, calm snowHead
ski holidays
arv wrote:
cbr7, sounds like Nonstop?

I'm there with NonStop (ski), going out 5th Jan, course starts 19th.

Hi cbr7, assume you're on the same course with NonStop? Skier or boarder? I think All Tracks Academy have an 11 week instructor at Red at the same time. Either way, see you on the hill or in a Rossland bar no doubt!
snow report
johnnyrotten, in a bar? You mean the bar wink

I had an awesome time on a Nonstop course, sure you will also.
snow conditions
Not quite hitting Red but N. ID getting pounded tonight with ultralight fluff have 20cm and still half the storm to go much more in Mtns with no moisture content.
Great if we had a base.
snow conditions
Fernie's getting the same ultra blower, and I never thought I'd say it but I wish it was a bit heavier to fill in the gaps!
ski holidays
DaveC, So right bouncing off rocks and trees with the skis since the snow was so light but so much fun skiing over 70 cm of fresh, but those who stopped sank in and were waist deep in stuck.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy