Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flumserberg 08/09

Poster: A snowHead
Spent the morning at Flumserberg on Sunday. Lots of lifts and pistes open. Plenty of snow on the pistes. Mostly too rocky off piste. There was a good Föhn blowing but it was cold and windy and the snow was either powder or hard, Definitely looking good for November Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Back again on Sunday. Amazing for early December. Loads of powder, Snowing so really quiet but the visibility was not bad. A few windswept slopes but mostly no danger of rocks any more.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any pics? Skied Flumserberg a couple of years ago in Jan and may well be going this season too... snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went to Flumserberg at midday today. Thought that seeing as it was a Saturday at the end of the holiday period it might not be too busy. I was wrong. As soon as we left the Autobahn a sign informed us that we had to park at the bottom and get the bus up. Not keen on that and had been umming and arrhing about trying Pizol anyway so went there instead. We went to the new gondola at Bad Ragaz (the website says "enough parking" and the car park was far from full). The website omits to mention the 5CHF parking charge though. Not much queuing to get a ticket and get up the mountain, The (new for last season) 8 seater gondola is very comfortable. We only skied the Bad Ragaz side.

The positives were the chair lift climbs a whopping 600m vertical and no queue to speak of. The negatives are that neither piste back was particularly good for my 6 year old daughter, nervous on her first day out of the season. The "easier" piste is rather narrow and involves a number of schusses. The other is more direct, wider but has a couple of rather steep pitches. Snow was a good grippy hard surface but with a few rocks showing and the pistes did not look to be very well prepared. According to a conversation on the lift, the Sargans side was worse so we didn't bother. From what I remember of my only other visit 10 years ago, the link is pretty flat.

Overall I was disappointed with Pizol and we won't be going back in a hurry. Flumserberg may be a bit busier but it has a lot more variety and the pistes are much better prepared.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just came back from a week in Flumserberg. From what I understand they have opened a 'Center Parcs' type resort down in the valley, just opposite the lift. Whatever the reason, the resort was rammed most of the time. Must be from 2 to 3 times the number of people on the pistes compared to what there used to be. There was a 15-30 minute wait for the main lifts and no space in any of the on piste bars and restaurants all day!!

The advantage of Flumserberg used to be that it was a quiet, 'local' resort.

I can't say that I'll bother going back...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Back at Flumserberg this morning. Only skied the Prodalp side. Very pleasant above the inversion layer (hasn't been above 0 at home yet this year), Pistes are in great condition. Not too busy for some reason. The 8 seater chair definitely eats up the queue even though I didn't see a single chair go up full. Maybe everybody went to Tannenboden for the start of the International Ski Club lessons.

glowman, I only ever get to ski at weekends. Flumserberg has always been busy then but mostly the lifts cope OK but the main pistes get crowded. I've never experienced anything like what you describe. Maybe it is just a new year thing where you have full hotels and a lot of day trippers. The papers where reporting the slopes where very popular over the Christmas/new year holiday.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There on Saturday morning. The main pistes were still offering good hard conditions, great for carving. A bit hard on the way back down to Tannenheim. As yet nothing really in the way of rocks showing. The forecast for this week gives lots of precipitation with the snow line varying anywhere between 500 and 1700m.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saturday morning again. Not a great forecast so not too busy. Not a single queue all morning. Even so there was still some sun around. Must be a good 50-60cm new snow off piste. Great conditions. Bet it was busy today in the sunshine.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just seen this post, not sure how I missed it ! glowman New Years week has always been very very busy, Jan 2nd was terribly busy in particular, the monday onwards however was a lot very quiet as most went back to work and left me to it.. the following weekend I braced myself but as there was three small clouds over Zurich it stayed quiet as most of them stayed at home.

Landal (a bit like Centre Parcs) are managing the new resort down on Whale Lake, lots of Dutch and Germans have bought apartments or chalets down there and there were certainly more Dutch this year, I heard far fewer Brits/ex pats from Zurich than last year. We thought the childrens ski school classes where actually smaller this year.

In the summer, maybe before, we'll hear if the 2 to 4 new lifts are going to be built above Panuol, at the moment you need to hike up there or ski accross from the top/ back of Leist off piste, personally I prefer it like it is but I guess it will give everyone more lifts and piste's to ski. The lift at Seeban (not the T bar, the other one up to Mash) is going to be replaced in the summer with a high speed chair and piste improvments/widening on the piste back down to the small lake, I think this one has been approved.

nessy, I'm envious, been looking at the web cam a lot this week. Will you be there with your kids 10th Feb to 23rd Feb at all ? We will be out then with ours, eng_ch is gearing up to meet too one of the two weekends.

This season we've discovered skittles at the Schwiendiwiese Restaurant (sp!) and off piste between Tannenboden and Bergheim down the old broken chairlift line behind the recycling bins in Tannenboden and back on the free bus, highly recommended for variance and zero crowds Very Happy

Hoping to ski down to Unterterzen next visit if the snow is good enough. Fingers crossed for snow down low..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty, will be around the weekend of the 14th. The following weekend we are ourselves going away Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was there on Saturday morning. Pistes were hard but grippy. Quite busy but as usual the lift system coped fine.

Frosty, interesting what you say about the lift enhancements:
http://www.flumserberg.ch/NR/rdonlyres/AE9EADB6-016B-43A7-B2CA-EAE63D8F4261/0/Newsletter0809_210x297.pdf

The new 6er chair Seeben lift will replace the t-bar. This seems like massive overkill to me. They will supposedly double the width of the piste but it is not exactly a long run and always seems to have hard snow. Still I suppose it will make a more attractive way out of that valley without taking the slow 2-man chair.

The Panüöl expansion would make the ski area quite a bit bigger which must be good for weekend skiers as hopefully the weekend effect would become more diluted by a higher proportion of holiday makers.

Another report from Swiss telly:
http://www.sf.tv/sfwissen/dossier.php?docid=10446&navpath=umw
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

This seems like massive overkill to me.

nessy, I misunderstood what I was told then. I thought the T bar was to stay but the chair back up to Mashkenkamm (B6 on the piste map) was to be replaced with the 6er, you know the other one up from the little lake then the piste back down reformed. Panuol will be the big one, I'll enquire when I'm out there on progress.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty, nessy, I'll need to pencil in the w/e of 14th then, as we're in Alsace the following weekend
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Live report from the stelli chair. Bit crispy first thing but warming up fast. Not too busy yet but that is normal post February. It's going to be a beautiful spring day Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wrong on lots of counts in the end. It got cloudy and busy.

Flumsi fans should check out the beautiful promotional video on flumserberg.ch

Looking warm in the first part of the week but the snow should be back by the end Smile
snow conditions
nessy, thats great news, Mrs F is out next week-end for four days and I'm out there the week after Sat through to tuesday night. I have been told that Panuol is def happening now but that it won't be built until 2012. Will you be around either of the next two weekends ?
latest report
Yes! Might be in the UK for the Easter weekend but other than that.
snow report
Sunny but cold this morning. Snow is pretty hard and it doesn't look likely to soften up
any time soon. Excellent carving conditions with decent edges Smile strangely it is loads quieter
than last week.
ski holidays
we still havent decided where to go from Zurich airport over Easter weekend so please keep up the reports from Flumserberg
snow report
Roger C, My wife is out there now and conditions are very good. Its been cold but sunny and there is plenty of snow. Pistes are quite hard but I expect things will have warmed up a bit by the time easter comes. There will be plenty of snow to ski on long after they shut after easter. I'm out next weekend until the 31st so I'll post again during that trip. with some photos if I can.
latest report
thanks Frosty, info from reporters on the ground is always much appreciated

can you recommend any nice hotels in the area, ideally with a swimming pool?

or your apartment looks very nice, is it available over the easter weekend?
ski holidays
Frosty wrote:
I'm out next weekend until the 31st so I'll post again during that trip. with some photos if I can.

Give us a buzz then nearer the time
ski holidays
Roger C, I'm afraid our apartment is booked up and I don't think there is a hotel in Flums with a pool, there is a nice (healthy cold Sad ) public pool in Mittenwald half way between Tannenheim and Tannenboden. I'd stay in the Cafrida or Tannenboden hotel, both solid 3 stars with the best food served in their restaurants.
ski holidays
Quote:

Give us a buzz then nearer the time

I will, theres a live music concert up at Prodalp next week end which sounds promising
snow report
Been snowing here in Zürich since yesterday. In Flumserberg it should be snowing on and off until Saturday. Sunday looks better so I will plan to go on Sunday morning (instead of Saturday like I normally do).
latest report
We're there on Saturday and getting quite excited now..
ski holidays
We're planning to be in Laax on Fri eve if anyone's interested in the night skiing and Sat during the day if anyone's interested in joining us
snow conditions
any update on conditions from snowHead s on the ground?

planning to book our easter accomodation this week and havent decided where yet!

could be flumserberg/arosa/andermatt or flims laax
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi got back late last night and skied up until 4pm yesterday in Flumserberg. There is certainly plenty of snow, only now are the spring slides just starting as it warms up. It was about 7 degres at 1400m when we left although it was refreezing at night and monday was nice and cold all day, well below zero. I suspect that it'll be a great Easter. All the black runs that face north were in great shape (not slushy) even in the afternoon, in fact most runs above Tannenboden were pretty good. Flims will give you more mileage of course, I don't know the other resorts. Take your wax.
snow report
Frosty thanks very much for the update, sounds promising Very Happy

looks like we are going to try Flumserberg as have sorted out a well priced/located hotel and the transfer is quicker/cheaper than to any of the other places we looked at
snow report
Roger C, I feel the burden of responsibility now weighing heavily on my shoulders...Seriously I hope you have a good time. Make sure you visit the farmhouse at Panuol for sausage, the Hina Stall on the way down to Tannenheim for a drink/snack and the Senna Stube (sp?). In the village a good place to eat is the Tannenboden Hotel. If you ski off piste Fursch hut is good to visit and they will tow you back to the piste with a snowmobile for about 6CHF. Hope you have a good time, take your wax wink
snow report
Hi Frosty dont worry, I'm sure we'll have a good time as it seems the the resort is well set up for families, eg the marked walks that whoever is babysitting can do to keep themselves busy etc

Thanks for the advice on the food, I'll file a report when we get back, right then must go and put the liquid wax with the skis to make sure we dont forget it Very Happy
snow conditions
They have a swimming pool and a (very old) bowling alley under a hotel if you are looking for things to do in the afternoon/evenings
ski holidays
We've had a great day in flumserberg

Couple of hours skiing in the morning, trip to swimming pool after lunch then more skiing in the afternoon

Conditions are of coure spring like but no lift queues and pistes are stone free Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy