Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you actually book train tickets to the alps?

Poster: A snowHead
OK, I'm trying London to Bourg St Maurice travelling to arrive on Friday 4th Feb and leaving on Sunday 6th March, arriving back in London same evening.

The Deutsch Bahn website gives plenty of options for getting there including the overnight train via Paris Gare Austerlitz, but only one train on the way back changing to the Eurostar at Marne La Vallée rather than central Paris, but that's OK.

Rail Europe offer just two trains out, both daytime and a little too late for us really (arr BSM 2137 or 2357), but no trains back.

Eurostar come up with return trains, again a bit late on the way out but at a whopping £320 each.

I've left an email enquiry with Rail Europe but in the meantime anyone know where to find a reliable timetable and who best to phone (website? - pah!) to get the fabled £160 return or overnight trains?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pete, go to RailEurope, you can reach them on 08708 371 371 until 9pm. Ask for special offers and what PREM tickets are available, these are only available between 14 - 60days prior to travel and sell out fast. They can book you all the way through but be aware you don't join the TGV network proper until Lyon or Annecy, both about 3 hrs plus from BSM. We've found the Eurostar to Paris and then the overnight sleeper from Gare d'Austerlitz to be the best way of travelling.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 5-01-05 19:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Using www.sncf.fr (and switching to English) gets:
Calais-BSM for Eur87 (non-refund) out at 19:33 03/02 arriving BSM 07:46 04/02 (couchette for overnight leg)
BSM-Calais, Eur 119 (flexible): BSM 09:36 06/03, Calais 17:30 06/03
Each via Paris, about 90 min change between Gare du Nord and Austerlitz, and no other trains quoted for either date (and it's warning of only the last few seats available on return journey).
Combine with P&O or Sea France Foot fare? (Or as David says Eurostar -> Paris then pick up the above trains)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I echo GrahamN, the sncf website is cumbersome, but the prices are much better than you'd expect from RailEurope who seem to be mostly interested in Americans! BTW I found eurostar tickets quite cheap on Saturdays, but outrageously expensive during the week.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Will SNCF post tickets to the UK, or do they do electronic ticketing?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rob, no they won't, but RailEurope are the UK arm of SNCF and they will. You have to demonstrate an understanding of the French railways when you speak to them, they usually start quoting £400+, it's only when you press them for special offers and PREMS that they begin to be sensible. The problem with the SNCF online is that the system presupposes you know the times of the trains you want. You can pick up tickets at SNCF's offices in Piccadilly, there are next door to the French Govt Tourist Office.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 5-01-05 20:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks David@traxvax. PREMS?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pete Horn,

I use this company, they really know their way around. I am arranging a trip to Aime in the next few weeks.

They are Rail Canterbury on 01227 450088.
Fax 01227 470072

E-mail rail@rail-canterbury.co.uk
and
www.rail-canterbury.co.uk

Good luck....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all. Amazing, it's 59 days to the 6th March and all the daytime bargains from BSM to London have gone already (well, the convenient ones, 0936 just a tad early).

Anyway, overnight journeys booked both ways for a total of £340. Just BSM - Tignes transfers to sort out now, and as we can't get into our accommodation until 1730 and have to leave at 0930, what to do in BSM for 10 hours on a Friday and 12 hours on a Sunday? SnowHeads meet anyone? wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry JT, booked before you posted, I'll bear them in mind for the next one though. I used Rail Europe on the phone and quoted the PREM code. A very nice lady called Sarah sorted it all quite quickly.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David@traxvax, I booked tickets online through SNCF last Summer, they posted the tickets to me and they arrived the next day.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just checked website, as long as you pay online in euros they will post the tickets to a UK address .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pete Horn,

Thats a bit steep...!!

I used these people to get to Meringen near Interlaken last year and gave them 10 days notice.
We went Eurostar to Paris from Ashford, TGV to Basel and then two more trains to get there.
The return price was £140:00. One sat journey and one mideweek..

I learnt my lesson because I got caught turning up on a weekday at Gare du Nord and wanted a single home to Ashford........ £178:00...!!!!
And I had got all the way from Chamonix to Paris TGV for 70eu..!!! That included the ticket down from the Cham valley to St Gervais.... I was fuming...!!

The prices they Brits get charged... There are some funny price bands if you are not aware...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I take it some of you have done the transfer from Gare du Nord to Gare d'Austerlitz. Is using the metro line 5 quite straightforward or should we go by taxi? (Bear in mind 2 ski bags and two other large bags)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Taxi is quick and cheap, about 10 Euros although they will charge you extra for luggage. Takes about 15 - 20 mins depending on time of day.
snow report
Er, JT, that's for two of us, it was £167 each plus £6 booking fee, so not much more than your Ashford - Meringen. I will try your company next time though and see what I get.
snow report
Pete Horn,

Taxi...takes 15 mins in traffic and shouldn't get anywhere near a tenner.
Thats what I paid last year but I wasn't carrying skis...!!

If you go by metro allow for 45 mins, you should almost half that if you time it right though..
snow conditions
I think I'm happy with £340 total. Our original plans were to drive but it is a long journey and €284 parking charge at Tignes really put me off.

I really couldn't be @rsed to muck around with airports unless we could do Southampton - Chambery, which we couldn't.
ski holidays
Quote:
what to do in BSM for 10 hours on a Friday and 12 hours on a Sunday?

Duh? Ski! That's two extra days on the slopes Pete!

Sorry, let me explain...
in Tignes Le Lac, the Maison de Mairie (AKA "The Tourist Office") there is a baggage Consigné. I think it costs about €2 per person or per bag. There are also showers there if u desire. You buy bus tickets there and buses leave from outside. (But check when the last bus down to BSM goes. It's not very late, about 18:00 maybe?)
What else could U need? Of course! Internet access, for u to check in and keep your fellow snowHeads bang up to date with what's up in Tignes.
latest report
I've heard though I don't know how true it is that many Paris taxis will not take skis, however last time I was there I did see some estate car taxis which should be able to take skis without problems, luckilly I have only to go from Gare du Nord to Gare d'Est which is about 800 M away so I'll probably walk, I've got well over an hour to play with so it should be no problem
latest report
Pete Horn wrote:
as we can't get into our accommodation until 1730 and have to leave at 0930, what to do in BSM for 10 hours on a Friday and 12 hours on a Sunday? SnowHeads meet anyone? wink
I always go by train and though you may not be able to use your room I've never known a place that, in practice, that doesn't have somewhere you can dump your kit and somewhere (even if it's only the loos) where you can change. Have a happy 2 extra days skiing.
snow conditions
The metro Ligne5 is pretty easy.
Left out of Euro*, follow the signs, down the escalator and keep going straight ahead. There's a little ticket office right next to the barriers which are the only obstacle on the route really. We usually send one person in who then steps on the exit mat and we pass the bags through to them.

If u have the spare time at gare d'austerlitz, there's a baggage consigné there (there isn't at GDN); for a few Euros, u can be free to wander, bagless accross the road and check out the restaurants.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy