Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes Season Trip Report

Poster: A snowHead
Swirly, Nice pics Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Swirly, great stuff... do you know what sort of undertaking La Meije is in summer in terms of grade and time? It is a shapely peak and caught my eye on the way over the Col de Lauteret on NYD
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27, not that easy, it was the last major alpine summit to be climbed, there's a really steep section near the top of the obvious ridge. Looks good though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swirly, worse than VS would you say?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OOoo. I've missed this thread because it is in the - ahem - dark side. Only found out about it because of a mention elsewhere. Wonderful pics of a great time. Looking forward to being out there - even if it is just for a week.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly, that looks a bit to scary for me !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DebbiDoesSnow, stick to chair lifts, much more socialble Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops, or even the warm bar serving nice cold beverages with a view of some cold and wet climbers Razz
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
some good pic there swirly! i missed this report as it is in the dark side!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, And we've only let you in because we know you wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dobz, well, I am nice to boarders. snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like you will be riding loads of fresh powder next week. 40cm forecast just for sunday. Think the snow is due to stay for a few days too! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Since the last report we had a bit of snow and some new arrivals kristof and scottish skier, The snow was much needed although by now we're in need of more but then when aren't we.

On the off chance of finding something good we headed down to Bons after the last snow, unfortunately this was too low and ended up being a bit of a fight against the elder bushes that have become prevalent on the old piste. However after that experience good snow was to be had on the GRand Pente and other routes down the face. (Photos to follow as gorilla) has taken them off his memory card.

After that experience Sam and I went to reacquaint ourselves with the ice in La Grave, Thursday went well although we weren't fast enough to complete the 600m route we were attempting and then we went for a shorter route on the Friday which was N facing, the ice was much harder and steeper than we were expecting and after I took a small ground fall we resorted to top roping the hardest line available.

Sam on Les Pylones (WI easy)

Since then we've been taking what scraps we can find. We've hit the west faces of Belle Etoile and the Jandri and ther Vallons de Diable although the best snow we've had has been on the Clot de Chalance which I rode on Sunday with Scottish Skier.

Scottish Skier on the west fact of Belle Etoile

Picking a line down the Clot de Chalence
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, top roping is all very well - but how did you get access to the belay point to top rope from?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles, You can get up the side of Pylons... scramble up through trees over to the right of the fall.
snow report
Swirly, I'm sooooo jealous. Are you staying out there for the full season? I'm getting strange ice climbing urges Shocked
snow report
Scarpa, yeah, the ice is in really good nick right now too. Annoyingly I don't have a climbing partner out here and didn't bring ropes with me either.

achilles, well what happened was I tried to lead it but fell off placing the first screw (leaving an axe behind) I stopped myself in the gulley below the route by a combo of self arrest and good belaying by Sam. Needless to say I was a bit shook up so a French dude took our rope up for us and we tried different variations on the first pitch. It's N facing and I'd never encountered ice so hard and brittle before.

Nothing to report, snow's crappy but there should be some fresh soon.
snow conditions
What's the latest with the weather out there? Been looking at the webcams and it looks like it's raining there today. No real big dumps for weeks now. Hope things improve as I'm off there in a few weeks.
snow report
Was shaping up nicely yesterday when I left with pretty solid flurries all day and even some creamy turns in the odd windblown pocket,was largely grauppel though . Turned to rain down in Bourg/Allemont
ski holidays
fatbob, didn't really fall till last night when we went to bed with nothing really happening: a bit of sleet and rain even. However when the lights went out the snow fairies came out to play.

There's a video of gorilla coming down the Vallons du Diable with brief cameos from Scottish Skier and me. Scottish Skier took some photos I've purloined.

We ended up lapping a few of the off piste routes we've been discovering lately, all these photos are on the Vallons du Diable:

kristof getting deep

Me smoking the place out

Gorilla super steezy.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 20-01-09 23:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Lucky boys - though I know its been a long wait.
snow report
21 Jan 2009 Day trip to Resort Q.
After the dump we had a choice to make: stay in resort and farm what was left of the powder higher up which was still safe given the wind loading during the snowfall or head somewhere else hopefully avoiding the competition and with less idiots dropping onto risky slopes above us. Of course there was then the risk of running into bad snow conditions e.g. our infamous excursion to Bons. Hardy souls that we are we decided on option two and a day trip to Resort Q. With mild trepidation we loaded the car and the four of us set off for the wilds. Trepidation turned to jubilation on our arrival and we set off into the steep and deep.

Scottish Skier: treezy does it.

Plenty of powder and plenty of trees were the order of the day kristof taking his own inventive line.

First there’s nothing.

Then out he pops.

And lets rip.

Run after run after run and our decision was a good one as we discovered lines here there and everywhere.

And to top it off possibly the best rope tow in the world:

Today was sunny too but all the powder has gone, it's begun to cloud over already possibly heralding the next dump: due tomorrow and to be bigger than the last so we're on the look out for resorts R to W
Cool
latest report
Swirly, nothing like being able to go where the best snow is. Looks great.
snow conditions
Great pics swirly, you lucky git! Another 25cm due tonight and in the morning!!
More pow tomorrow
ski holidays
Been rainy today which sucks Sad really windy too, avvy risk back to 4 unsurprisingly. So to brighten the mood here's a few more photos from Resort Q.

steep and deep.

gorilla in action

Eat my tail.

kristof: powder farmer

gorilla on yet another fresh line

and again!!
ski holidays
Great pics, keep them coming. When you're stuck in a wet & windy UK it's always good to have something to dream about
snow report
blizt wrote:
Great pics, keep them coming. When you're stuck in a wet & windy UK it's always good to have something to dream about

Or someone to hate wit a passion bordering on pathological wink
snow report
Quote:

Or someone to hate wit a passion bordering on pathological

How did you guess Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Really enjoying reading this and seeing pics Swirly. Keep it up Smile
snow report
We're of to L2A in two weeks and I've been keeping an eye on the webcams. But what's happening up on the Glacier at the moment??? The one piste and park seems to be closed. Here's the image from this morning -

Anyone know whats going on.
ski holidays
Sporty, parts of the glacier are open right now but they are conserving snow for later in the season/summer on sections of it. The park is open at 2600.
latest report
Swirly, If you want really brittle ice get to the Rockies.... it's like damn concrete Laughing
snow report
gorilla, Ah, is that what they do. I wondered what was going on, as we were there the same week week last year and the same thing happened.
snow conditions
Back after a great week in L2A. Low temps, sunshine and blue sky for most of the time. It was snowing as we left at 7am on Sunday! Most runs were open and the resort not too busy. Shame they flattened the bumps down the Grand Couloir! Avoided the busy Valentin run back down at the end of the day by skiing the Diablo at the other end of the resort.

Plenty of good boarding and skiing to be had. Shame about the cost of the Leffe, 5 euros for 33cl.

Enjoy if you are on you way
latest report
No posts for a while cos I've been in bed sick Evil or Very Mad Got up yesterday for a day trip to Alp d'Huez though and it was nice to get out the resort for a bit and ride some other slopes. The weather was pretty nice and the snow there is completely different due to the almost opposite aspect. Today it's snowing pretty heavily and it's really windy again so almost all the lifts are shut.
ski holidays
Swirly, was begining to wonder where you were ! glad your feeling better, did you have the winter tummy bug then?
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, nah just a really bad throat infection. Ended up having to get stuff for it, still not 100% but can get out and about while coughing my guts up on every lift. At least I didn't get prescribed suppositories for it.
latest report
Shocked the wrong end surely for a throat infection Laughing
snow report
that's what I thought...
latest report
Feel like I've been neglecting you lately but never fear everything is ok. I'm still not fully better but I've been out and about and we've had some powder. I had a couple of mates staying so have been showing them about although with the first night involving showing them Yeti happy hour the next morning didn't see a great deal of activity.

Monday gorilla and I took a day trip to Serre Che, unfortunately we don't know the area and most things we found were tracked out or a bit too risky, with a more stable snowpack there would be a lot to do there though and we'll be back.

Panoramic shot from the top, it really is pretty spectacular.

Today we made the most of the fresh snow with Scottish Skier & Gorilla it was good but there are numerous slabs about so we were confined to some of the less steep slopes, here's a photo of me I nicked.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy