Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes Season Trip Report

Poster: A snowHead
looks like some nice spring conditions there
hadn't realised Piefroid had made it into a guidebook - must be the new edition. lots of nice skiing accessible from that traverse
and... this needs a bump because it's got a bazillion times more stoke than most season update threads Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

hadn't realised Piefroid had made it into a guidebook

It hasn't really but refers to the ridge in one of the other descriptions.

Quote:

it's got a bazillion times more stoke than most season update threads

Toofy Grin Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great TR... this is too good to be buried here...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swirly, don't know what made me, as an incompetent skier, look belatedly at this thread. Absolutely brilliant account and stunning photos. Thank you!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like how it develops from the protagonists poking around off the side of pistes at the beginning of the season to riding it to the road at La Grave with rope work and everything! Great stuff Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
But how're they gonna keep him down on the farm, now that he's seen L.A.?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
But a bit slow on updates eh wink enjoy your last week, make every minute count Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure how many more of these there will be as the season gets closer and closer to the end Sad.

Last Friday we had fresh snow so headed over to La Grave, the glacier was completely untracked when we got to P3. Obviously we had to put that right:

We carried on down La Banane

Scottish Skier met some guys from back home who were staying in a van at La Grave so the next day we headed off to the Col du Lauteret with them for a short tour. As a boarder touring isn’t the most fun but putting in the effort can result in fantastic snow. Five of us set off from the car park and we were quickly joined by a 6th as we made our way up some relatively gentle terrain. The terrain got steeper and the extra fitness of the four who are (hopefully) half way up Mt Blanc atm.

Me reaching the top.

The best part should always be the descent wink even though there is something slightly twisted about hiking for three hours for a 10 minute ride down to the car.

Haggis Trap opens up.

A couple of days later there was more fresh snow, seemingly the wet April had finally turned up. Although it’s rained a lot in town there was never any danger of that happening at altitude. Scottish Skier and I headed to the Couloir Electrique. The shape of the couloir is deceptive and the ridable line is much narrower than it appears in photos.

Scottish Skier in and out the couloir.

The exit bowl

Some more snow came and we went back to Alpe D’Huez aiming to knock off the stunning line of the Cerisier couloir and bowl. Sadly the lifts back from the Sarenne Gorge were now shut so that was a no go without a very very long walk. A shorter walk was the one to the top of the Pyramide so we decided to do that twice.

We also hit the Fare canyon having a bit of fun on the way:

One bowl along from La Pyramide is L’Impossible which we thought might just be Possible although the entry looked somewhat sketchy. Getting through the rocks would leave us on the unbelievably wide and untracked Glacier des Rouses.

Gorilla just below the very rocky entry.

L’Impossible: C’est Possible
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GREEN WITH ENVY!!!! Evil or Very Mad l'Impo in powder is much fun (you should have traversed hard skier's right at the earliest opportunity though NehNeh )

Glad you hooked up with Haggis Trap and Gregor too
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, yeah, it was pretty good. There was a slight wind crust on the surface but this wasn't too challenging and mainly meant that you skied it pursued by lumps of snow. The entry was not expecially easy, though. We underestimated the amount of rock there is on the slope and lurking just under the snow. Anyhow - I actually took the camera with me in addition to the usual detritus I stick in the bag hence there are some snaps.

Swirly opens it up on the glacier

Just for a sense of scale.

The view down the line. The entry is at the top right of the pic, our tracks run across the left.

Someone looks like he needs a beer.

This is probably going to be the last thing I stick in here, other than the Wheel of Destruction shots I have of Swirly and ScottishSkier but those will have to wait.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gorilla, you can link that with the Col du Couard and get all the way back to la Villette at 1200m - that's a vertical drop of 2100m almost all off piste!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, that sounds like one for next season. If no one ups sticks to the snow for the season again we're considering a week or so in AdH. The place is full of unfinished business.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, doubt there's any snow down there now. Isn't the Col really flat? looks it on the map.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, you need to go hard skier's right at the bottom of l'Impo and traverse round to a lake (covered in snow/ice) then climb up a few metres. You then ski down a not very steep slope into a big bowl under the face of l'Etendard. This is a nice ski and brings you out onto a flatish area (which should have enough angle to keep a boarder moving) which takes you down to the col. The couloir under the col is probably about blue/red run steepness most of the way down - a little steeper at the top
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Swirly, that shot of The Haggis (below the one of you reaching the top) is a cracker Very Happy
snow conditions
one word ........... Awesome !
ski holidays
Swirly, gorilla, what a great way to finish off the season Cool
snow report
gorilla wrote:
Just for a sense of scale.

The view down the line. The entry is at the top right of the pic, our tracks run across the left.

Do you remember where you took this from - can't work out where would have a view like that
snow report
Swirly & Gorilla popped round last night to say goodbye. They will now be well en route for the port. Crying or Very sad What a great thread though, and fantastic photos. Why do so many go to the Haute Savoie and completely ignore l'Oisans??? I will never understand it. rolling eyes
snow report
top thread. love the stoke and the photos.
ski holidays
easiski, I guess you figured the bbq was a non-starter on Sunday with all that rain, we spent a fair few hours cleaning our apartment instead! Thanks for the lessons and hopefully I'll see you again next year when this minor injury sorts itself out.
ski holidays
Arno, I think I took that from the bottom of the cable car with the long lens. I can't really remember, though. I don't recall pausing for photos on the lower section of the line as it was warming up quite quickly.
snow conditions
I've been back in the UK for 2 days now, god that's depressing!

Before trying to wrap this thread up I'd like to say a huge thanks to everyone who has helped out with advice both before and during the time in L2A, especially to easiski & Lizzard also Dougie from the Yeti for all the cheap beer and constant requests for bad music. Also everyone I've ridden with through the season: too many to mention.

In the end the season kind of died out, after the day on L'impossible it went cold again and stayed cold till the lifts shut meaning the snow was generally too hard to be much fun. We didn't even go to the top on the last day. It snowed after and we planned for a final trip over to La Grave but had to clean out the apartment which took a bit longer than expected. The drive back was pretty uneventful, we left at half 8 and were booked on the 2200 ferry, a pretty knackering drive back got us to Dunkerque for 10 to 6 and they put us on the 8 o'clock boat but there was a bit of space left on the 1800 sailing so we got bunked up and coasted on running on fumes (petrol is loads cheaper in the UK atm), all in the trip was just under 13 hrs door to door.

I'd like to finish off with a few stats that we collected over the 5 months away:
Most Lifts Taken Without A Run: 5
Powder Days: 22
Miles Driven: 2964.7
Tours: 2
Rocks Hit: Lots...
Core Shots: 19
Most People Staying in the Appartment at Once:5
Deepest Powder: 80cm
Karaoke Attempts: 6
Cheapest Night Out: 8€ for 9 pints and 2 Jagerbombs.
Triple Pepper Burgers Obtained: 4
Money Spent on Guides: £0

And I'll definitely do it again just as soon as I get the money together!

Thanks for reading.
latest report
Thanks for the updates but on your stats ....you missed out some .... heres a couple that spring to mind:-

- Most chat up lines attempted in one night :
- Total chalet girls deflowered :
- Piste side projectiles due to aforementioned Jagerbombs :
- Days spent wearing a helmet

Twisted Evil
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:

- Total chalet girls deflowered :

I'm not sure that's possible...
Quote:
- Piste side projectiles due to aforementioned Jagerbombs :

0 I wasn't sick at all... wink
Quote:
- Days spent wearing a helmet

Well I bought one in Jan so 4 or 5 maybe... I got it for the Derby de la Meije as it's in the rules then didn't enter in time. Wore it in the trees and couloirs a couple of times.
latest report
Swirly wrote:

0 I wasn't sick at all... wink

am I allowed to mention Roxanne and our balcony?
ski holidays
kristof, that wasn't vom, just watery gas. Vom is what happened to someone outside the Rhummerie and almost in my car on the way to AdH.
ski holidays
Number of skis broken beyond repair = 3 pairs

Number of poles lost = 3

Pairs of boots destroyed = 1

replacement gloves bought = 0

Gaffa tape used = 3 rolls
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swirly, I'll let you off as it was just foam.

WRT the Vom I guess your talking about a certain scottish skier who couldn't handle it after some quality Rum on his birthday?
ski holidays
kristof,

Number of poles lost = 4
Number of poles broken =3 ? (2 of mine one of scottishskier's - he might have broken another)

I also broke a helmet but I think the damage can be repaired hence it doesn't count.
latest report
I challenge anyone not to gag on that passionfruit stuff! NehNeh
ski holidays
gorilla, the body count goes up! (you may have also missed the message about a bbq in mine next bank holiday)

scottishskier, gagging on the passionfruit stuff is entirely normal apparantly...

Next number, how many times did Swirly, get his lash out?
ski holidays
Swirly wrote:
.............but had to clean out the apartment which took a bit longer than expected...........

Why am I not amazed? Laughing

Thanks for a great thread. Worth popping across to the Dark Side. Very Happy
ski holidays
kristof, what on earth is a lash Shocked or do you mean his S&M leash
ski holidays
Swirly, .... glad U linked me to this .... Very Happy

You've done well without a jigsaw ... Toofy Grin

... Happy Days .... Laughing Laughing Laughing snowHead
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, he had a tendancy to flash his lash when innocent people were taking happy holiday snaps Toofy Grin (I'm sure you can guess from that what part of his body he was exposing)
snow conditions
I had hoped that was NOT what you were referring to. Swirly, you should be ashamed Laughing
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, ask him to do "the helicoptor". Or don't.
ski holidays
gorilla, no no no ... BAD mental images... men, drink and their appendages - not a good mix rolling eyes
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
men, drink and their appendages - not a good mix rolling eyes

sometimes also refered to as a soft mix... Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy