Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First lifts in the morning.... are we the mads ones?

Poster: A snowHead
Can't think of one reason not to be on the first lift every morning. The joy of a new day in the mountains and peace and quiet for an hour or so is great whatever the conditions. Of course powder days are best - but a blast down the Creux at Courchevel with no-one at all in front of you - having come up from Mottaret side is hard to beat too.

I used to be a last lift person too - but that seems less important now - unless conditions are good.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends who I'm skiing with and what the conditions are like.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You're definitely not mad! I'm not a morning person as a rule but somehow I manage to get up at a reasonable hour on a skiing holiday. The lure of the snow obviously... Very Happy

It's also been known for the pisteurs to chase me off the slopes at the end of the day... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I get up at about 8 oclock and it don't take long to get ready. Simply wash, have breakfast get into ski gear and go. Normally on the first lift.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No problems getting up early in the mountains whatsoever Madeye-Smiley It is a slog to sort the kids out though and nag nag nag until they are fully ready rolling eyes but it's worth it when you finally pull that bar down and feel the cold air cool you down after all the rushing aaaahhhh lovely

esp when you know they are someone else's responsibility for a couple of hours.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It baffles me why the lifts run for such a short time - some places it only seems to be about 9 til 4 - and there is often plenty more daylight than that. We are normally on pretty much the first lift, and will generally finish skiing at 4 - 5pm, but we do often have a Gluhwein stop at 11ish, lunch, and an afternoon beer stop.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ayrshire Andy wrote:
Can't think of one reason not to be on the first lift every morning. .

BEER! wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RobinS wrote:
It baffles me why the lifts run for such a short time - some places it only seems to be about 9 til 4 - and there is often plenty more daylight than that. We are normally on pretty much the first lift, and will generally finish skiing at 4 - 5pm, but we do often have a Gluhwein stop at 11ish, lunch, and an afternoon beer stop.

Well the pistepatrol will be up a 1st light and if theres been big dumps it could easily take them a few hours to prepare the mountain. As to closing times I seem to recollect most french places seem to be around 16:30 for the main lifts up from base - certainly I remember running to get the lift in ADH at 16:29.. In Les Arcs then a lot of the lifts don't close to 5 after 1/2 term. Bear in mind they need to still have light so that they can do an 'end of day straggler sweep'

Simple solution for you to get more skiing, drop the 3 stop strategy and have one for lunch - job done...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Used to spend every New Year in a hotel on the top of a mountain with friends. As soon as the lifts started in the morning I set off down. One windy morning the lifts started I raced down on an empty piste only to find they were running the lifts to take the chairs off as it was too windy. Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I always try and get up as early as I can, but rarely first lift. Often skiing until the last lift though. One of the best runs I've ever had was when I set off down the Schilthorn just in front of the piste patrol at the very end of the day.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobinS wrote:
It baffles me why the lifts run for such a short time - some places it only seems to be about 9 til 4 - and there is often plenty more daylight than that.

It does start getting cold though. I remember doing 'just one more run' at the end of a day in Verbier and becoming quite aware that it seemed to be dropping about a degree every 15 minutes. By the time I got to the bottom I was unbelievably cold (my face remained slightly numb for several days afterwards, not kidding), and actually pretty scared.

So maybe that's why. To stop dumbasses like me freezing themselves to death.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio wrote:
RobinS wrote:
It baffles me why the lifts run for such a short time - some places it only seems to be about 9 til 4 - and there is often plenty more daylight than that.

It does start getting cold though. I remember doing 'just one more run' at the end of a day in Verbier and becoming quite aware that it seemed to be dropping about a degree every 15 minutes. By the time I got to the bottom I was unbelievably cold (my face remained slightly numb for several days afterwards, not kidding), and actually pretty scared.

So maybe that's why. To stop dumbasses like me freezing themselves to death.

Apart from the mate of mine who was being downloaded on a chair with a broken arm when they turned the lifts off..by this stage her mobile had run out of juice...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bertie bassett, bloody hell. That's crazy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ayrshire Andy, you are mad. Another true snowHead .
I always wake up ravenous, getting up is easy when you smell the bacon & see fresh snow outside.
I do like to take my time getting organised but only put on top layers on at last moment & don't like to rush & arrive at the lift sweaty. If I miss the first lift, no problem I can take the second lift and overtake on the piste, have a hot chocolate with rum & overtake again. I hope to get several weeks skiing in the season so no desperate need to maximise every day if its por visibility & no rush in a thaw/freeze overnight/thaw situation.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
First and last lifts is the rule for our trips. Generally find no one has a problem getting up, esp when Basement Jaxx is blasting throughout the apartment, duvets are ripped off, and if someone feeling a little delicate and indeed of a lie in, well then we give them five mins (very generous is us) and then drag them into brekkie!

Ah, hard to beat a good first and last run, happy, happy days!
ski holidays
Best reason to ski in North America: jet-lag makes it EASY to be up and waiting for the lifts to open Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
Mouth wrote:
Before Mouth Junior and when we used to go short weekend breaks we were first on the lift and often waiting for the lifties to start work! Also last off the slopes in the evening. Ah those were the days. Also with our own place now and lots of trips per season we rarely feel the need to be out at 9am unless of course there has been a huge fall... then you won't see me for dust...

Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Avago, yes you are mad. Far better to hit the lifts along with the ski schools and the madding crowds wink

I like to be first on the lift or if not wait until 10 ish when 'the rush' is over Very Happy

Oh and don't forget to brush yer teeth............... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Have you ever seen the first lift???
ski holidays
Mouth, yes he has......out of his bedroom window Laughing
snow report
Certainly not mad, and first lifts are a great thing.

However, following our holiday last season I've decided that last lifts are where its at; particularly if you can assist your descent by the addition of one or two mountainside ales. Seeing the sun start to come down over a pretty much empty piste with a warm glow of beer and one final run to complete is an awesome feeling.
ski holidays
Dav wrote:
Certainly not mad, and first lifts are a great thing.

However, following our holiday last season I've decided that last lifts are where its at; particularly if you can assist your descent by the addition of one or two mountainside ales. Seeing the sun start to come down over a pretty much empty piste with a warm glow of beer and one final run to complete is an awesome feeling.

It is, but it doesn't feel quite so awesome when you are still an unknown distance from the bottom, and realise there isn't enough light left to see where you are going properly Shocked

Which is what happened to me when I decided to get a cheeky hour or two in on arrival at Campitello (finished by skiing down to Canazei) Embarassed
latest report
alex_heney, quite similar to my story that Smile Glad to know there are other plonkers out there.
snow report
We normally get up and out early - not always first lift though unless in Canada. We don't ski until last lift - too tired by then and I always think we're going to be stranded out somewhere
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
It is, but it doesn't feel quite so awesome when you are still an unknown distance from the bottom, and realise there isn't enough light left to see where you are going properly Shocked

...or when you ski off the wrong side into the wrong resort Embarassed
snow report
I always get the first lift in the morning even if the snow is not great. The fresh air and empty pistes are great to shake off a hangover Very Happy I always stop for lunch... normally a bottle of red ... early 11:30-12:00 and stay a while if the sun is out. Try to get to the top on the last lift sit and watch everyone scurrying back.

Wait until the light dims and ski back. its a very eery feeling. Then normally show off coming to the bars in view and generally muck it up.... its a great way to enter the apres Toofy Grin
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Mouth, yes he has......out of his bedroom window Laughing

whilst eating my breakfast in bed wink
ski holidays
Have to, have to be up for the first lifts! We are morning people anyway but the excitement gets the better of us. It's not always such a hot idea though; the snow can be very frosty/crusty sometimes but what's wrong with getting up top early and having a coffee to get the show on the road? You are ahead of the posse.

We'll do last-ish lift too but usually we're getting a bit wrecked at that stage, the snow is gone all mogully and there's a bit of fear that a great day could end up in a fall or em .. a row Shocked
snow report
I really wish we could always do this on powder days- but dumping kids into ski school makes things more leisurely.

Did manage (doing an early start ticket) to ski 0800 - 1730 and 10000m vertical off piste stuff in Fernie one day last year. Which was nice.
ski holidays
I'm not necessarily a first lift type, but certainly first half hour. That does depends where you are though - definitely first lift in La Grave, and one day last year that meant only lift, as they stopped it due to high winds after just our bubble (and the following one, that had our guide in it). As others have said though, there's nothing quite like coming back down on a to-all-intents-and-purposes-deserted hillside with the sun dipping below the skyline after the last lifts have shut.

stoatsbrother, those big days do stick in the memory Very Happy . My day in Keystone was 9am (when the first bus from Breck got in) to 10pm. Quick sarnie for lunch, then an enforced stop half way down some black or other about 4:30 when I realised my legs couldn't hack more than one turn at a time. Big plate of spag and I was ready for the next 5 hours. No ideas how much I did that day, although well over half would have been on-piste and I was a bit more of a "hack-it-and-hope" skier then. Then there was the 12000m (>10k off-piste) day in Chamonix about 3 years ago Smile snowHead ...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm usually not just on the first lift, but first in line for it too. I usually have breakfast on the first lift and I've got my routine in the morning to a T so I don't have to get up that early. I do take an hour for lunch though and stop for drinks every so often but then ski on til the last lift, making sure I'm at the top when the lifts close. The hours at the beginning and end of the day are the best as it's so quiet. I ski in whatever conditions as well. One time it was -30 with 30-40 mph winds and pretty heavy snow. Just wrapped up warm and kept going. Smile I usually only get one week a year so I make the most of it. Besides, skiing in bad conditions is character building. Wink
ski holidays
papasmurf wrote:
On holiday I refuse to get up ealier then I would for work

You mean you're more motivated getting going for work than you do going skiing? Shocked wink

For me, I have a lot more motivation getting up early to do what I like to do (skiing), far less of it doing what I "have to" do (work). Hence, I have no trouble hitting the first lift but occasionally miss the early morning meeting in the office.

paulio wrote:
RobinS wrote:

It does start getting cold though.

But not in April. The sun doesn't go down till well after 6! Why stop the lift at 4:30? Though I suspect this is a European thing? In N.A., it's pretty common to run the lift all the way till 5:30 after daylight saving time starts (March/April).

Anyway, I'm not neccessarily a "first lift" person, especially where the lift starts turning at 8! Still, definitely not sleeping in till 11 kind either, typically 9-9:30'ish. The main reason for starting early is so I have plenty of time to stop, relax, AND still have plenty of skiing in, WITHOUT skiing till the last lift if it's cold. So, the earlier the lift closes, the earlier I start!

For all the talk about frozen piste in the morning, the late day snow condition is just as trecherous (if not more). The moment the sun slips behind the mountain, the piste in the shadow turns to solid ICE!!! Not to mention having to dodge all the half-drunk beginers snowplowing down the only one piste back to the village. At least in the morning, I can only get hurt due to my OWN stupidity. Oh wait, that's bad, I have no excuse...OK, sleep in and avoid the frozen empty piste in the morning and just do the frozen piste with the crowd at last lift. Wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 3-12-08 10:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
johnboy wrote:
I am a first tracks guy, but I do like plenty of stops, long lunches. Also aim to be at the top around 4.30, wait till it gets quiet and have a burn down to the Apres bars

I'm in the johnboy school of thought - can get up for skiing but not so easily for work Little Angel
latest report
I usually miss the first lift on account of the huge breakfast I eat. I have to have a lie down afterwards. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Oh yes, that wonderful pink light catching the mountain tops in the evening and the valley in shadow. Nobody on the mountain. Fantastic.
Once two years ago at St Anton it was really dark when we got down from a fairly long climb up and long ski down - arriving to the lights of a hamlet down the valley about 6.30 with our guide - to find the taxi he had ordered when we were nearing the bottom waiting for us.

And in the morning of course you have to go up well before the ski school - obviously.
snow conditions
I usually aim for the first half hour or so, but have been known to have the occasional late start and get on the slopes in time for lunch Embarassed
snow report
Related question: why is it that at least in every hotel I've stayed at in the Alps, breakfast is served at an hour that makes it literally impossible to both eat it and make the first lift? We mostly stay in holiday flats, so not an issue, but of the times we've stayed in hotels I've only once actually had their breakfast (last winter in Engelberg, the mountain closed down completely due to a storm).

To their credit, the hotel staff in Garmisch-Partenkirchen asked us one morning why we weren't eating breakfast, and from then on they had a to go sack waiting for us in the morning.
ski holidays
ami in berlin, strange, I've never found that Puzzled Perhaps worth a thread of its own if others have this problem.
snow report
ami in berlin, If breakfast was part of your package, you not eating it is what us Hoteliers call profit Toofy Grin
snow report
ami in berlin, I've never found taht an issue.

First lift is usually about 8:30, sometimes later.

Breakfast is usually available from about 7:30 - 7:45 IME, or at worst from 8:00.
snow report
As I wrote, my expeience is somewhat limted because we normally stay in a rental flat. The earliest breakfast start time I've seen is 8:00, and the latest at an absurb 9:30 on Sundays. Now, if you're not staying right next to the lift, even an 8:00 start to breakfast is going to make it difficult to get to the lift when it starts running.
ski holidays
olster wrote:
I'm usually not just on the first lift, but first in line for it too. I usually have breakfast on the first lift and I've got my routine in the morning to a T so I don't have to get up that early. I do take an hour for lunch though and stop for drinks every so often but then ski on til the last lift, making sure I'm at the top when the lifts close. The hours at the beginning and end of the day are the best as it's so quiet. I ski in whatever conditions as well. One time it was -30 with 30-40 mph winds and pretty heavy snow. Just wrapped up warm and kept going. Smile I usually only get one week a year so I make the most of it. Besides, skiing in bad conditions is character building. Wink

Oops sounds a bit like me except I can have breakfast quick enough and I keep lunch stops to 1/2 hour and try not to have drink stops except when barking cold / bad weather. Last sentence of olsters post very very true Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy