Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First lifts in the morning.... are we the mads ones?

Poster: A snowHead
As a group of 5, we have always been on the first lift of the morning thinking it was a fairly normal thing to want to do. Lets face it, surely you go on a skiing holiday to ski, don't you? Our group has recently grown to 12 which includes some newbies who think we are mad........ are we? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First lift every morning? I bet you are up on the mountain until gone 5pm every day too, eat your lunch on a chairlift and clock up at least a gazillion km's a week, regardless of weather and snow conditions.....

Fair play to you, but I go for a holiday too.....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avago, yes you are mad. Far better to hit the lifts along with the ski schools and the madding crowds wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If it's chucked down 30cm overnight, definitely snowHead If it's spring time and has frozen overnight, definitely not rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some days it is better to go up later, in times of thaw and refreeze it is better to wait untill the sun has sofened the snow a little ,the first run down on boiler plate can jar your legs up for the rest of the day .Of course when there has been a big fall of powder why wait for the lifts set off early and get to the top befor the lifts do!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've always been of the opinion that the best skiing occurs before 10:00 AM.

Let the rest of the group sleep in and meet up with them later.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Guvnor, I can see why you might think that!! Actually we like to go up early so we don't feel so bad about all the beverage stops on route!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Avago, To be honest, it depends on the conditions and who I am skiing with - if it is the boys trip, it tends to be early starts (and occasional early finishes wink ) as it is December and the light fades quickly. If it is the wife, it can be slightly more leisurely, and if it is a group with kids, it can be a very slow start. However, powder days are different. There are no friends on a powder day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I like to go up early, but by the time you have got the hubby out of bed to walk the dog, made breakfast, showered, got two students out of bed, (even at aged 20 you stil have to check they've got their lift pass) it is almost lunchtime rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Avago, don't listen to those nutters.

Not only is it normal but it is expected.

And the best thing about first lifts is the lardies are still having breakfast so we get the place to ourselves. (Apart from on a powder day... and... I'm normally still working so I don't get too many Sad )
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

There are no friends on a powder day

There is no family either on a powder day, I'm so ashamed...sorry love gotta go....you dress the kids Embarassed (Can I legally still say "love" to my wife?)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

And the best thing about first lifts is the lardies are still having breakfast
You would be surprised Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On holiday I refuse to get up ealier then I would for work
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avago, not mad at all. I just wish I had the will power to get up at 7am every day!!

Last lifts definitely have the edge over first ones though - the sunset and that experience of razzing it down after everyone else is great, plus you'll be the last to get down to the bars where everyone can see you as you come down.. you just have to hope you don't stack it with jellied legs!!! Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor, How do some people manage to get any skiing in between food stops? Breakfast, elevensies, lunch, afternoon snack..... oh dear its getting dark, must be dinner time!!
snow conditions
I prefer 2nd lift of the day - someone else's bottom has soaked up the snow on the chairs then
latest report
Going to vary for me I think. I've got some mates coming out for a week who are deffo 1st lifts to last lifts but I think I'll be keen if the weather is nice and less keen if its not...although I do need to get over my dislike of skiing in whiteouts...
snow report
Specialman, I find it easier getting up early on holiday, its a different story at home. Probably got something to do with the excitement of skiing vs housework!!! wink
snow conditions
First lift up, skiing the last turn of it as well! You are only young once...
ski holidays
arv, absolutely!!
ski holidays
Before Mouth Junior and when we used to go short weekend breaks we were first on the lift and often waiting for the lifties to start work! Also last off the slopes in the evening. Ah those were the days. Also with our own place now and lots of trips per season we rarely feel the need to be out at 9am unless of course there has been a huge fall... then you won't see me for dust...
snow conditions
First and last lifts everyday of the holiday!! I only get to ski so much each year - not going to trade any of it for an extra hour in bed!!

It also means I don't feel so bad about the beer stops =]
latest report
Avago wrote:
As a group of 5, we have always been on the first lift of the morning thinking it was a fairly normal thing to want to do. Lets face it, surely you go on a skiing holiday to ski, don't you? Our group has recently grown to 12 which includes some newbies who think we are mad........ are we? Puzzled

I assume this is because your newcomers are up hitting the skin track at 5am so they can bag first run down from the top before lifts open wink.

As for you -perfectly normal on a powder day or if you like fresh corduroy. Dubious habit on spring refreeze nights unless you really want to lose those pesky fillings wink
snow conditions
First lift up for me as well Very Happy

Me and a skiing buddie get fairly slagged for being first up and last off the hill when we're skiing... whilst most of the slaggers work off their hangovers in their beds.

Loads of pubs at home, but generally there's only mountains with snows on when we're on holiday so it's an easy choice Very Happy
ski holidays
shoogly, what do you look at from your windows? I see hills with snow from here snowHead
snow conditions
Mr Docsquid and I are definitely first lift people. However I have to stop for lunch - I simply can't cope all day without food. Mr DS tends to do one more run than I do, but we have both been frequently chased off the mountain by the pisteurs too. We rarely give up for bad weather unless it is really diabolical - we were even skiing the last open draglift in high winds and zero visibility last year rather than give up or go home. Got a "Les Anglais *French shrug*" from the pisteurs for our efforts!
snow report
Avago, you obviously don't drink enough cheap wine!
snow report
Avago, I totally agree with you, it drives me crazy when I ski with people who don't want to get the first lift especially when I was younger and had to wait for for my parents to get up before I could ski. If you're paying £150 for a lift pass you want to get in as many runs as possible, and I have eaten lunch on the chairlift before although I do put quality before quantity. I don't find any difficulty in getting up at that time especially if its snowing then I'll have woken up naturally by 7am.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes first lift.

I ski around 3 hrs non stop that is enough for a day, how else can you make fresh tracks? The tourists, ski schools start at 10 there fore its time to quit.
snow conditions
Mouth wrote:
Before Mouth Junior and when we used to go short weekend breaks we were first on the lift and often waiting for the lifties to start work! Also last off the slopes in the evening. Ah those were the days. Also with our own place now and lots of trips per season we rarely feel the need to be out at 9am unless of course there has been a huge fall... then you won't see me for dust...

Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Avago, yes you are mad. Far better to hit the lifts along with the ski schools and the madding crowds wink

I like to be first on the lift or if not wait until 10 ish when 'the rush' is over Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 1-12-08 18:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Why on earth would anyone want to catch the 1st lift, when you can stop in bed and hit the slopes with all the crowd's. Puzzled

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/9564/ppuser/989

Tip for Anyone doing the Montalbert to Villaroger challenge, that's La Plagne, when you take the 1st lift. wink
snow conditions
Louis, you wanna bet!!! Nothing better to clear the head then a big hit of fresh air first thing in the morning! I do have to get Mr Avago to do up my boots though, so I don't have to bend over wink Laughing
latest report
First-ish lift, definitely the last one to blitz the mountain back down to the village and dive in the bar. A perfect day. Razz
snow report
I am a first tracks guy, but I do like plenty of stops, long lunches. Also aim to be at the top around 4.30, wait till it gets quiet and have a burn down to the Apres bars
snow report
If I'm with the kids the time I start skiing tends to be governed by the time of ski school rolling eyes
ski holidays
Avago wrote:

Of course you are mad.

But so are virtually all of us who post on here, it's just a matter of degree. wink

Personally, I'm with papsmurf, but since I get up at 6:15 for work, that leaves me plenty of leeway on holiday to be able to get first lift.

Most days I certainly try to be on the mountain before the crowds, but I do have odd days when I just don't feel that enthusiastic, and then I will wait until after the early(ish) lift queues die down.

Just remember, you are there to enjoy yourself. If you don't mind getting up early, and love to heve nice empty freshly groomed pistes (or untracked off piste) then go for that frist lift. But if getting up early is a chore, or there are other reasonas for not rushing, then don't.
snow report
Quote:

On holiday I refuse to get up earlier than I would for work

IMO there is no comparison between the two. I just can't get up at 07.00 for work (zzzzz.....hit snooze button.....and repeat) but cannot get up fast enough when I'm in the mountains!! In fact I can be up and away from mountain huts by 06.30 or 07.00 no bother for both summer hikes and winter ski tours. Everyone should experience dawn at 2 or 3000 metres - it's just amazing Very Happy .
ski holidays
Still like to be up early and if its a good day deffo first and last lifts. we did used to hit the first lift every day and ski until the last lift. we have even eaten lunch on the chairlifts - only stopping for a quick drink ( that was the year money was in short supply Sad ) These days we can ski more terrain and distance in less time so the need to be on the slopes isnt as great Smile we re still usually up around 7 am if not earlier. Often like an early morning walk before breakfast, or to go get breakfast Madeye-Smiley

It does of course depend on the the snow quality as others have mentioned, no pont hitting that first lift to ski boiler plate frozen from the previous very warm slushy day. This comes with experience as do many other things Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Ideal day; First lift up. Ski hard (incl. mid-morning coffee/ritter sport), and try to take as late a lunch as possible - taking advantage of empty slopes then empty restaurants. Take it easy in t'afternoon - coffee and beer stops aplenty Cool .
latest report
You're not mad and mountainaddict, is spot on, it's murder getting up for work but I've never had a problem in the mountains either in the winter or summer, even after a night on the toffee vodka. Keep catching the first lift and let the others in your group play catchup, they'll soon join you after a couple of mornings waiting for the same lift as ski school. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy