Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski cam!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, been skiing for about 5-6 years. Im off the france next Jan!

I want a ski cam to take footage from this trip, i was looking at 4kam, is this any good? Any other suggestions to look at?

I was also wondering how resiliant the cams are, even though im a some what experienced skiier i still have wipe outs from time to time as do we all! The 4kam is just a strap around googles i think!

Any help or suggestions appriciated!

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got a Dog Cam 520 line bullet that plugs into a Canon camcorder. I think all Canons do AV in, but many camcorders don't have this input.

There are lots of digital units out now, but no idea how heavy/fragile/cold climate friendly the kit is.

If its just for youtube play back, I wouldn't bother spending too much as Google downgrade the quality so much, expensive recording kit will be a waste. I've never used mine on the mountain as I couldn't be bothered with carrying all the kit.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got an Xtreme Recall bullet camera (from the US) which I use with a Sony miniDV camcorder. The results are very good, but you do need to carry a backpack which is a bit of a pain on chairlifts. If I was starting from scratch now, I'd go for either a Vio POV.1 (bullet cam with digital recorder) or a Twenty20 VholdR (all-in-one unit). All 3 systems I've mentioned are reviewed in detail on the link below. No idea about 4kam, but all the UK based bullet cam systems I looked at had spaghetti wiring. I chose Xtreme Recall because of their neat integrated wiring and many positive reviews. The POV.1 wasn't available at the time, otherwise I think I'd have gone for that instead. It is pricey though!

http://helmetcameracentral.com/reviews
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the responses guys, the only thing is i dnt have a camera already, with the 4kam one it records straight to a lil device with a screen. I would rather not have to buy a camcorder aswell. The pov1 is $700!! haha, which is a bit out of my budjet!

The Twenty20 VHoldR however dose look viable, im taking it i can take a few knocks aswell?? I malied 4kam with some questions and they reashured me it was up to taking some heavy knocks! One thing im worried about with all the helmet cams is that is i wipe is the cam just guna snap and come flying off, never to be seen again?

Im very tempted by the vholder. Do you by chance know what the battery life is like?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skyhigh, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skyhigh, Regarding the battery life on the VholdR, read the review on the link I gave above. It's not one of its strongest points in cold temperatures, but workable. I would imagine it's a bit more vulnerable to knocks too because it's an all in one unit. At least with bullet cams you can only damage the lens and not the recorder (assuming it's safely stored in your backpack). But I still think the VholdR is worth considering for its convenience i.e no wires.

You don't have to use a camcorder with the other bullet cams either. There are lots of alternative digital recorders that will take the AV signal eg. Archos multi-media recorders. It's just that miniDV camcorders tend to give slightly better results and you can obviously use them for hand-held shots too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy