Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Attn: Spyderjon / Other technical dudes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can I build a very rough binding testing weapon out of a torque wrench?

I have a simple torque wrench and an even simpler technical mind (actually I have managed to replace the head on a 2.4TD engine so maybe not that bad Wink )

I am less worried about the vertical release element, I am interested in lateral release.

I would like to spend some time playing around with a couple of pairs of bindings that I have for the missus and compare "twisting" realease-ability for some Dynafits, Naxos, Look Nx10, Look FKS & maybe some Diamirs.

I wondered if I could put something in the bottom of the boot, probably something foot shaped to take up the space - maybe a shoe tree? Extension bar up from the 'shoe tree' and then in to the torque wrench.

I totally get that this wouldn't give anywhere near accurate reading but I should be able to gauge some consistency between the different binders... Or not?

How different is this (general approach) from proper binding test equipment? I have never seen any...

I'm too busy to be doing this now, which makes me think I probably will waste some time on it. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here's a pic of my Huber machine: http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/26/39/

A manual device of the type you're thinking of was made by Vermont Safety but I'm not sure if it's still available: http://www.vermontskisafety.com/assets/files/VERMONT-RELEASE-CALIBRATER.pdf

Pretty straight forward to cobble a foot/lower leg assembly together to which you could attached a torque wrench. I've found very little variance in vertical release values on heel pieces but plenty of variance in lateral toe release so you're right to concentrate on that.

Give me a few mintues & I'll post a pic of the foot/leg unit from my machine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, got wide-ski fittings for the Huber yet?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, hopefully by Crimbo - my new toys are 112mm so I need them for myself.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:
achilles, hopefully by Crimbo - my new toys are 112mm so I need them for myself.

Hmm - wonder what they might be wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
parlor wrote:
I wondered if I could put something in the bottom of the boot, probably something foot shaped to take up the space - maybe a shoe tree? Extension bar up from the 'shoe tree' and then in to the torque wrench.

Old boot could do the job..... drill a hole through the bottom and put a large bolt through with a nut on top, might need to use a countersunk allen bolt
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
daehwons wrote:
.....Old boot could do the job..... drill a hole through the bottom and put a large bolt through with a nut on top, might need to use a countersunk allen bolt

Good idea if you can stay with one boot size.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, Hah! Most excellent. I'll add a bindings check on top of the servicing in the New Year, if that's OK.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
daehwons wrote:
Old boot could do the job..... drill a hole through the bottom and put a large bolt through with a nut on top, might need to use a countersunk allen bolt

Ohhh, that's a good idea. (Providing it then fits in all the bindings which include alpine and touring bindings).

So are we thinking this is more use that just seeing how much force it takes to kick the boot out of the bindings? Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor wrote:
......So are we thinking this is more use that just seeing how much force it takes to kick the boot out of the bindings? Smile

Oh yeh Cool

Now I've just got to get you on some Metron's & my work is done wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor wrote:
daehwons wrote:

Ohhh, that's a good idea. (Providing it then fits in all the bindings which include alpine and touring bindings).

So are we thinking this is more use that just seeing how much force it takes to kick the boot out of the bindings? Smile

Been thinking about this a little bit more....

if its just a simple test you require that is easily done and provides a bit more than the good ole kick.....

get some boot sole thickness wood and trace and cut the correct size for your bindings x2

mount the two bits of "boot sole" wood to a 'taller' bit of wood so that you can clip the skis together...

here is the clever bit, two equally set binding of the same din should almost release at the same time when you twist the skis in opposite directions.

also the twisting can be done easier because of the leverage you have.

you could also put said test rig in vise with one ski and use a spring balance to provide the pull to test different bindings
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:
Oh yeh Cool

Now I've just got to get you on some Metron's & my work is done wink

spyderjon wrote:

Nah, show me how to use an edge file and I think we'll call it quits. Wink

daehwons, hmmmm, I think in this instance it will be hard for me to compare say a Dynafit with an FKS... I like the idea though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor, not sure about using an old boot. Jon tested all my skis recently and the biggest problem was the boots themselves as they had a few gouges and scrapes that caused them to get stuck in certain positions when trying to release. filed out al the dings and they were much more consistent. There is also the sole wear to consider which may screw things up.

Cool idea on the torque wrench setup good luck with it... Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, you're right about the boot, it's not going to work. The main exercise of this is to try and reassure Mrs P about her boots in different bindings, especially touring bindings.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Here's the foot/leg unit off my Huber. The foot is a series of links that retract inside the leg by pulling the red cord to allow for differeing shell lengths. The strap goes under the boot heel for testing the vertical heel release.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy