Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Open Piste Maps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I stumbled on this today:

http://openpistemap.org/

it's open source piste mapping based on the open source mapping software. There's also an open source cycle map of the UK:

http://www.opencyclemap.org/

thought it might be interesting for the GPS gadget-geeks, amongst whom I count myself wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hoppo,

A very nice site!

The information isn't complete but major Swiss, Italian, Austrian and French resorts are there.

When I started skiing I used to buy loads of French maps just to check the gradients of the runs I would be skiing in the resorts. Chamonix still has the edge when it comes to steep runs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is there any way to convert points of interest such as the bottom of a lift to lat-long positions so they can be transfered to a GPS system? If you can then this would be fantastic.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gingerpaul, not sure, I'm not very familiar with the Open Map software but such data is in there somewhere so it should be possible to export to a suitable format.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wondered when this would catch on. I've built up some quite detailed maps of the Three Valleys, Val d'Isere, La Rosiere and Paradiski over the last 5 years. They're in Garmin format and should download correctly to any Garmin mapping GPS. Of course, they'll never be completely up to date - a few lifts and runs always change from year to year. If other GPS-carriers were to email me their tracks from time to time, they could be kept more up to date.

The maps show:
Lifts and lift bases
Runs (showing Bk/R/B/G)
WCs
Restaurants
First Aid
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I know there are all kinds of clever systems out there, but I would prefer to have a paper map to glance at and a GPS system that can point in the direction of the lift entrance / bar I want to get to, just so I know I'm heading in the right direction. For me there isn't much point in computerising the whole thing like in the Sat Ski system. It'd be great to just have 50 odd points of interest that can used for working out roughly where you are. I couldn't care less about knowing exactly how far a run I am. I'm amazed that there isn't anywhere that I've found on the net that does this already.

I have taken a screenshot of part of the Val Thorens area (where I'm off to in January) and superimposed it over a screenshot of Val Thorens from Memory Map and they don't tie in very well at all, even with manipulation to get them to the same scale and orientation. I don't have the really detailed maps for the alps though so I can't say for sure how accurate that is, but I would hazard a guess that the maps on this page are more accurate than the Memory Map maps I have of the area.

WiRED, have you made your maps by recording your progress over your trips and uploading them and working out where you've been?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gingerpaul wrote:
WiRED, have you made your maps by recording your progress over your trips and uploading them and working out where you've been?

Yes, that's pretty much what I've done, although for larger areas like 3V and VdI/VT I haven't been able to get around every run in the one week (especially as I'm only now becoming more confident on the blacks). Also, I find its quite unusual to find every run and lift open in a resort. For some runs I've taken an educated guess based on where the lifts are and the terrain. I have some CartoExploreur digital maps of the Alps on CD which go down to very fine detail - you can work out where runs would go by the paths between the trees for example.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WiRED wrote:
I wondered when this would catch on. I've built up some quite detailed maps of the Three Valleys, Val d'Isere, La Rosiere and Paradiski over the last 5 years. They're in Garmin format and should download correctly to any Garmin mapping GPS. Of course, they'll never be completely up to date - a few lifts and runs always change from year to year. If other GPS-carriers were to email me their tracks from time to time, they could be kept more up to date.

The maps show:
Lifts and lift bases
Runs (showing Bk/R/B/G)
WCs
Restaurants
First Aid

Hi,

Where can these be downloaded?

Thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy