Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

More than one ski trip per year, how do you do it...?

Poster: A snowHead
It's funny how we never really think of the money we don't spend we're on hols.

For me, we probably save something like £200-£250 a week by not being at home, but I never really mentally subtract this amount from what we have spent on holiday.

We have just got back from Barbados, and because I bought dollars ages ago, we actually feel like we have spend very little in the past ten days.

D
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always include the supermarket costs in my mental breakdown of a self-catered holiday, despite the fact that I'd be spending that money anyway.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've been going on two trips a year the last couple of seasons and it's definitely not cheap. Especially seeing that one of the weeks must be Christmas/New Year due to time-off problems. But other than skiing we have a pretty (... searches for word that isn't quite tight-wad ...) modest lifestyle: 2 incomes, no kids (yet), not really big drinkers, small-ish house, not fashionistas, don't smoke etc. Because we take the first one at Christmas, we wait until early March for the second one as Feb is expensive and we are trying to extend the season a little for ourselves, while still getting good snow coverage and a decent choice of resorts.

I hear some of the prices people report here and drool when I compare to our usual cost of about €150 - €200 per day per person. However, I am coming to the conclusion that I price holidays a little differently to others: we rent skis, include spending money, the cost of the cats in catteries, the airport parking, presents for people minding house etc. Obviously this gives the highest possible cost.

I'm delighted with the idea of deducting all the home costs that won't be incurred. I'm off to get my calculator to see if I can stretch it into another trip.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have noticed accommodation seems cheap this year. Was quoted £300 a week for an apartment in Puy St Vincent (a cheapie family resort anyway) with beds for 4 and a sofa-bed for the teenager. Think this season its a buyer's market. Flights to near-by Camberly aren't such a good deal - Turin is further but has a ski bus that takes ages but is cheap as pomme-frites.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MissRibena, I've been including everything too; airport car parking, cattery, spending money, ski hire, lift pass as well as accommodation, flights and transfers. I agree a last minute booking might save on accommodation and possibly flights/transfers, but the rest will cost the same whenever...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MissRibena, queen bodecia, best to revel in the expense I think, enjoy spending the money, think of it as a guilty pleasure.

paulio, why dude? Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27 wrote:
paulio, why dude? Puzzled

Er, mistakenly.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sophiemccook, Turin is your best bet for PSV.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulio wrote:
I always include the supermarket costs in my mental breakdown of a self-catered holiday, despite the fact that I'd be spending that money anyway.

I don't count the cost food when I'm on holiday. Yes, despite the fact I have to eat at home anyway, it's still more expensive on holidays. On the other hand, I do occasionally go out even when I'm at home. So it kind of balance out, as long as I don't go out to eat too often when at home.

But lodging, lift pass, gear hire/transport and transfer to and from resort are expense one doesn't spend when at home. There's no way anyone can ignore that fact.

So, don't fool ourselves at how "inexpensive" our holiday is. Just spend it wisely and enjoy it while at it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quite. Skiing, even if one lives in close proximity to snowy mountains, is never going to be a cheap hobby. And I guess part of my expenditure problem is that my other hobby (motorcycling) is rather pricey too. But if I wanted cheap boring hobbies I'd take up knitting (no offence to all the knitters out there!)...

At present, the best I can hope for is my week in Courmayeur this season and two separate weeks' skiing next season. Finances and annual leave would never allow me any more than that at present. But it all depends on saving enough and managing to book the time off work, which in turn depends on keeping my job and house (looking decidedly shaky with all this credit crunch rubbish!)...

So you can all rub my face in it this season by regaling me of tales of your multiple trips and/or season long stays. I won't be painfully jealous. Much... Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia,
Quote:

But if I wanted cheap boring hobbies I'd take up knitting

You've obviously never bought wool or decent quality needles. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Guilty on all counts... Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia,
Quote:

Skiing, even if one lives in close proximity to snowy mountains, is never going to be a cheap hobby

Looking at just the cost of lift passes for three trips this year I'd go along with that - at current exchange rates the cost of 8 day passes for each of Paradiski, 4 Valleys, and Dolomiti Superski is horrendous Shocked

As we have pared down so many of the other costs of the trips this is the biggest expense - next winter we may be looking at medium sized resorts based on lift pass costs Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar wrote:
You've obviously never bought wool or decent quality needles. Evil or Very Mad

Especially if you want the latest cutting edge gear its not cheap.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK. Knitting is expensive but boring. wink The days when my gran used to unravel my old jumpers then have balls of crinkly Afro stuff are obviously long gone.
ski holidays
I bought some wool recently to make a bobble for a hat. It was quite expensive wool, and in the end I wound the bobble too tight so it was too dense and heavy to go on a hat.

And with a recession going on and everything. A terrible business, it was.
snow report
Quote:

Skiing, even if one lives in close proximity to snowy mountains, is never going to be a cheap hobby

Unless, of course, you live SO CLOSE that you can just get a season pass. That drops the price of "per day" to a completely different level.
snow conditions
OK, my mistake. I was trying to think of a cheap hobby. Clearly knitting isn't it. Maybe there aren't any...?
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
OK, my mistake. I was trying to think of a cheap hobby. Clearly knitting isn't it. Maybe there aren't any...?

Bridge.

My Mom's pretty crazy about it. And it doesn't look too expensive to me.
snow report
In Canada if we've been going for 2 weeks a season pass is often cheaper anyway if you get it early enough, plus then we have the option of going back again in the season
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:

Football?

buy one for £5.
Go to local rec £0.
jumpers for goalposts. £0

just don't look at a season ticket price for a premiership team...
snow conditions
paulio, PMSL! Do you think you will be able to get over it, in time...
snow report
Deliaskis, it's on my mantelpiece, mocking me with it's high wool-to-volume ratio.
ski holidays
If we go to Austria for more than one or two trips, the season pass can work out cheaper. Especially if we get the Salzburger Superski pass which means we don't have to keep going to the same place.
ski holidays
paulio, do you not think it might be time to, you know...just move on? (Dons flameproof jacket)...
latest report
Deliaskis, I'm going to make another one.

Once the tears have stopped.
snow report
Deliaskis, Interesting idea - are there any big ski pass areas covering multiple resorts where a season pass is cheaper than 2 8-day passes I wonder Puzzled If so it would be good value, and make a third trip almost compulsory snowHead
snow report
RobinS, in most places you seem to be looking at the weekly pass being something like a quarter of the season pass price. So probably not. Worth it if you're doing multiple weeks/weekends, especially if you own a place in resort and can qualify for a discount, but not otherwise.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, Two years ago we got a supercheap deal with http://www.rocketski.com/ to Serre Chevalier because there was a school mostly filling the hotel. It was a basic hotel; warm and quite spacious, but quite good food on HB. We paid £350 for everything including lift passes. They also threw in free ski hire!!! I see they're doing La Plagne from £219 at the moment!
ski holidays
RobinS, the SSS one is usually about the same if bought in advance as two separate weeks, and gets better value if you do more short breaks as three and four day tickets for example are more per day than six or eight day tickets.

I think this year it doesn't make sense for us because of the timings of our trips, but last year, when we added everything up, we should have got the season pass as it would have been slightly cheaper. The thing is that with a whole region like the SSS we can ski loads of different resorts so it doesn't mean the same holiday again and again.

D
ski holidays
RobinS wrote,
Quote:
are there any big ski pass areas covering multiple resorts where a season pass is cheaper than 2 8-day passes I wonder

Grand Massif (Flaine, Carroz, Samoens, Morillion) is currently offering a season pass for 399 Euros if you purchase before 15th December. Their 8 day pass is 212 Euros.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy