Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Book now or wait for last minute deal?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi just wondering should I book our group now or will we save by waiting to book last minute ?
We are not fussy where we go in the French alps but it has to be March 7.

Can anyone remember the types of deals that were available last year for places like the 3 Valleys, Tignes, Les Arcs, etc?

Also is there usually a time when operators hold 'ski sales', if so when is this usually ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it all depends on how big your group is-the bigger the group then the less the chance of a late deal

As for when the tour ops start discounting then that can happen at anytime but most tend to start their 'late deals' around 6 weeks before the date.

It might be worth you looking at the club hotel/chalets if there are more than 4/6 of you as some of these properties sleep upto 60 or 70 people-skiworld usually offer some good discounts but you may have to wait until a week or 2 before travel-now thats probably ok if there are just the 2 or 4 of you that have the patience/balls to wait that late but it gets harder the bigger the group
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RATM, Mr Atomic has hit the nail on the head. Given that you say it has to be March 7th, then If you had more than 2 people then I personally would book now. If it snows towards the end of Feb then I think you'll find a flurry of bookings pilling into the major french resorts. If you're not botherered about resort then you can leave it for a bit longer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RATM, As others are advising - 7/3 is not a UK or French holiday week, so from that perspective, a bit easier, but I have had a flurry of enquiries for that date precisely BECAUSE it's not a holiday week! If you can only go then and have a group of more than a couple or any other must-haves, see what is available and in your budget now, and book it. Very Happy If you hang on, you may save a bit, but more likely won't get what you want, where you want
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's the week I'm going and I've booked already, but I do tend to book early to nab that elusive single room...

It doesn't seem to be an overly busy week, I always go outside of school holidays so it's cheaper and not so busy. Happy hunting!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My usual advice:

If you can afford it: book now.
If you don't mind the non-zero possibility of not having a holiday at all: book later.

Guarantee vs. gamble.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As people have already mentioned the larger the group the more difficult it is to get a last minute deal.

The good deals in my opinion start about 2 weeks before the holiday, but you need to be able to make instant decisions (they tend not to hold options for you) so you need to be sure that the others in the group are committed to the holiday (i.e. that no one pulls out after you've payed on their behalf).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the advice guys. Our group is four people so hopefully we are in a position to hold off until 2-4 weeks before and book then. Any ideas what kind of saving we'd be looking at so I can balance up the risk/reward ratio ?
At the moment we are keen on anywhere in the 3 Valleys but would also consider Tignes, Les Arcs too. Most prices ex Bristol we are quoted for a tiny ( 22-25m ) self catering apartment and transfers are around the £350-380 mark. We were hoping to pick up something similar for closer to £300-320. Do you reckon discounts this size are possible or are we just being too pedantic by holding off and should really just go ahead and book the thing for the sake of the extra £50-70. We are on a student budget so the price of the lift pass is going to kill us and any money savers will make a big difference to how we enjoy our week. ( Read: More beer money Very Happy )
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RATM, 4 people may be twice as difficult to fix up at the last minute, as 2! As for what kind of saving, who knows? Anything can happen and given that I am still being asked 10 times a day for New Year week which is the most expensive of the season, it shows that people are happy to pay for what they want, even if the same thing is half the price a week later. As said above, if you have found something in an area you want to go, when you HAVE to go, that is more or less in budget, book it! You ask if you are being pedantic holding out to see if you might save £50 and the answer is yes! You did ask Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mate if you want a cheap s/c apartment go on erna low put in 3 valleys and do a search at the top with budget they have some great chep apartments £480 total with eurostar but its driving and we always drive with the hope of a bit more skiing if a big dump comes in

so may not be for you but well worth the consideration www.ernalow.co.uk
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Look at the possibility of DIY. You could fly to Grenoble with easyjet for £123 return. You should be able to find a little apartment like that (or better) for around £80 - 100 a head. There's a cheap bus to Les Deux Alpes, which has plenty of skiing and lively apres. Job done for £300 max. But book the flights asap; those prices will only go up and rentals through private owners don't usually go at a last minute discount.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RATM, book now. Deals are good anyway. We've been (five of us) at that time before and we did get a good deal taking the DIY route but there wasn't that much of a saving on TO prices when looking at holidays in the late deal sections. I suppsoe the only advantage of leaving it until late is that you can suss out the best snow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks again for all the help, reckon we will book somewhere by the end of next week Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy