Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Frightened to leave France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
And PS I haven't been on the forum for a while since I've just got back from a trip to southern France which included a day's skiing in Ax-lesThermes - we picked the one day with low cloud so had to ski in a limited area but the snow was good and the slopes quiet.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saikee wrote:
The record I kept shows that I have visited some 42, 32, 18 and 15 French, Austrian, Italian and Swiss resorts respectively.

I'd hazard a guess that although you've visited a lot of resorts you got to know very few of them properly. I ski mainly in the Tarentaise and the Trois Vallees and although I ski 50+ days per season I feel I'm hardly beginning to get to know them. Getting to a resort and spending two or three days cruising the main pistes is the least satisfactory way to ski, IMO.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
foggy, one thig to perhaps try is stick to what you know for your main week around the big french resorts, BUT, make the time, save the money and perhaps take a gamble once a year for a long weekend somewhere completely differrent. Austria would prob work out cheaper for that and you would get a real taste rather than ppl like us ramming our fave resorts down your throat Smile

That way, you do not compromise on your main week skiing, and you have a goal to try somewhere else for a few days at less cost and holiday time used if that is the issue.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Getting to a resort and spending two or three days cruising the main pistes is the least satisfactory way to ski, IMO.

rob@rar, i agree totally.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, Libertine,

As I mentioned earlier in my post I got to know Chamonix and the neighbouring resorts like the back of my hand after going there repeatedly for 8 years.

I know some people never get bored by going back to the same place every year to ski especially they own properties at the resort. Between seeing more different resorts and keep going back to the same one I tried both. I am still curious of trying out different resorts, even in the Alps. This January I am trying for the first time Engelberg, Films/Laax, Davos/Kloster and St Moritz.

I still have to visit USA, Spain, Argentina/Chile, Austrailia/NZ........
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
saikee wrote:
I am still curious of trying out different resorts, even in the Alps. This January I am trying for the first time Engelberg, Films/Laax, Davos/Kloster and St Moritz.

But how much of them do you actually try? I've spent the morning cruising around the pistes with my girlfriend, and while doing so I've spotted dozens of new off-piste lines I'd not really seen before nevermind skied. Those six Swiss resorts between them will cover a huge amount of terrain that you couldn't hope to get to know in a season let alone a week or two. The best bits of resorts are the stuff that infrequrnt visitors never get to find unless they are pay for a mountain guide to take them around.

I can see there's a lot of sense in trying out resorts in North America v. South America v. Europe because no doubt they offer very different experiences. But I simply can't see the sense in a cursory visit to dozens of different resorts if all you do is miss the best bits
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
saikee wrote:
I am still curious of trying out different resorts, even in the Alps. This January I am trying for the first time Engelberg, Films/Laax, Davos/Kloster and St Moritz.

But how much of them do you actually try? I've spent the morning cruising around the pistes with my girlfriend, and while doing so I've spotted dozens of new off-piste lines I'd not really seen before nevermind skied. Those six Swiss resorts between them will cover a huge amount of terrain that you couldn't hope to get to know in a season let alone a week or two. The best bits of resorts are the stuff that infrequrnt visitors never get to find unless they are pay for a mountain guide to take them around.

I can see there's a lot of sense in trying out resorts in North America v. South America v. Europe because no doubt they offer very different experiences. But I simply can't see the sense in a cursory visit to dozens of different resorts if all you do is miss the best bits

You've now opened my eyes as to where I personally need to make progress, until now I was happy just to be a tourist, a sightseer, just gazing in awe at the mountains as I cruise the pistes, thanks for the insight into what a connoisseur would be looking for. Cool

Trouble is you need more time on skis to reach that level. Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy