Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PDS circuit

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I am new here, so I hope I have posted in the right forum, if not can the mods please place it where appropriate?

I am going to Portes du Soleil for Christmas/New Year, and I have read with interest article in November issue of Ski & Snowboard magazine about the longest on-piste circuit. It mentions it covers 24 lifts, 26 pistes and 80km and it doesn’t go into any more detail, accepts that its hard to do in a day. I have tried to search which pistes to take or find map of that circuit, but no luck.

As I would like to try it for myself, I would be grateful if anyone could tell me which pistes to take or where to find a map of that circuit.

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
student, welcome to snowHeads. snowHead

I'm afraid I don't know the PdS area, but I'm sure you'll get an answer from someone.

The mods may move the thread to the 'Resorts' section.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you for the welcome

I'll keep eye on both sections them, incase it gets moved

I hope someone can enlighten me so I can try it for myself
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
student, it's well signposted, there are a variety of routes, easily done in a day provided you're confident red run skiers. Oddly enough It's not immediately easy to find a map.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowHeads student

I agree with David Murdoch (who knows the area far better than I), it's easily done in a day (even if I always get lost in Chatel).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, I know it's well signposted, I have seen various routes around, like the "rabbit" for beginners etc.
I have been few times in the area, but have never seen route covering the whole PdS, and I am keen to try it.

When I have searched the Internet for the route, I have come across several times a "24lifts, 26 pistes and 80km" but never exact route or map.
So, I am hoping someone who knows the area really well can help me.

Many thanks for all the replies
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
student, I'm in the area with my son over the New Year, so I will also be interested in replies to this thread.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
student, Where are you starting from? The route is simply Morzine-Avoriaz-(Crosets)-(Champoussin)-Morgins-Chatel-Avoriaz-Morzine but whatever particular route you prefer. I generally skip Champoussin by going directly from the top of Mossettes down Couloir of the huge rock straight into Morgins. Easy from then on through Chatel.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
student wrote:
I have been few times in the area, but have never seen route covering the whole PdS, and I am keen to try it.

hmmm.... The nature of the PdS is that some of the links are better than others.... There is no ski-only circuit that covers the "whole PdS" - the most obvious example is that Les Gets, while in the PdS, is not ski-linked to any other resorts.

I like those type of big-day-out trips myself, but I think you might be better getting the PDS piste map and planning your own
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll be staying at St Jean d'Aulps, so staring either Morzine, Les Gets or Ardent lift to Avoriaz.

I am not sure if there is any "set route" or just something where people just ride through all the villages? In the magazine it appeared like there is specific route for the whole circuit.

I am more then happy to take advice and tips for this trip.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
student, well my two-pennerth is that the Ardent bubble is the best way in out of those 3 choices
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
student wrote:
I am not sure if there is any "set route" or just something where people just ride through all the villages? In the magazine it appeared like there is specific route for the whole circuit.

If there is then I've never seen one.

I've always done the circuit clockwise from Ardent - Ardent, Chatel, Morgins...

(Edited - can't tell my clockwise from my anti-clockwise!)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 30-11-08 13:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't know of a specific set route. We did it 3 times, all clockwise from Ardent, and all were slightly different. I suppose you could create a specific basic itinerary, and then indicate the various deviations to take for Torgon, Champery etc.

From St.Jean d'Aulps, I'd suggest Ardent as the starting point.

Only route I've ever found is a GPS track on gpsies.com which is 95% the same as the routes we did. I've been meaning to try to convert into a Lift+Piste itinerary. Following the white rabbit is just a local discovery itinerary, and not the PdS circuit (although you will need to do that same route for part of the circuit).

Oh... and last time I went, Les Gets was linked with Morzine Wink (about 2-3 lifts and pistes from village to village iirc, although I wouldn't suggest that for the circuit)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy, Yes, of course you're right, I was sloppy with my post. Les Gets is linked to one side of Morzine, the rest of the PdS is linked to the other. Between the two sides lies a walk through the town, or the Petit Train if you're so inclined but either way a 'ski-circuit' it ain't
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok guys, I'll take it there is not set itinerary, and I'll just have to make one for myself.

So any suggestions, how to cover as much as possible of PDS in a day?
snow conditions
I'll also be hitting the porte du soleil in a couple of weeks and am keen to do the PDS tour, although from Les Gets it might be more of a challenge! I have found this thread which seems to be covering something similar Advice on Morzine and Portes Du Soleil ? and it seems that no one can really agree on one particular route, but there are lots of suggestions that seem to take in most of the PDS.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy