Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Carriage Fees? Love 'em or Loathe 'em?

What's your attitude to Ski Carriage fees?
Quite reasonable. Happy to book them in advance.
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Unfair, but book in advance anyway.
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
Fair, but leave it until the airport before I pay.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Most unfair. I do everything possible to avoid the rep.
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
I refuse to pay on principle. If my skis are left in the UK I buy new ones.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I avoid operators that charge carriage.
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
I have no strong opinion.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I don't fly, but still think it's unfair.
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
I don't fly, but it sounds quite reasonable to me.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Blighters! I lie and say I've already paid.
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Voted : 0
Total Votes : 37

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, this subject may already have been done to death, and constitutes another troll-like post, but hey, I like these rant opportunities. Evil or Very Mad

Are ski carriage fees just a scam to persuade punters to book ski rental via the tour operator, or are they a legitimate way of directing the cost of the typically heavier flight towards those passengers that add the extra weight?

Or maybe the airline never charges the tour operator extra anyway?

Should they be regarded as an unfair tax on repeat-skiers, another sneaky hidden cost, or something that is quite fair and should stay?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It seems to depend on who you fly with, I think Swiss take them FOC and I understand some other do as well, as for me mine stay in Wengen in a friends loft so I don't have to worry about paying extra
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As long as paying gets my ski bag on the plane, I don't object. I always take a double ski bag and put loads of padding around my skis to keep my luggage weight down. My boots weigh nearly 10 kilos because they're so big, and the luggage in with the skis means that I never sweat about having to pay for excess baggage. I've been lucky as my skis have always come off the plane at the other end along with ski trousers, fleeces etc inside the bag with them
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It seems that most proper scheduled airlines (not no-frills) won't charge you. It's the like of Sleazyjet and the charters who whack it on...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can confirm that Swiss don'r charge (one pair of skis per person, also one pair of boots, on top of the normal luggage allowanc, I think it is).

The cheapo airlines may charge, but if I've paid UKP40 for a ticket, I won't complain about another 20 or whatever. Though this last trip (because we booked late and went at half-term), Swiss were cheaper than Easyjet anyway.

Package co.'s charge them, though don't they? That'll be because of the charters they use?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
But they don't often pass the charge on, or at least only pass on part of it. My last few trips have been using BA, United or American, None of them have charged me. In fact, on the way back from Utah this time, I had 99kgs of bags, and didn't pay a penny in excess.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The ski carriage doesn't actually guarantee your skis will be put on the plane.

A group of us were flying back from Sion, and on arrival at Gatwick discovered that no skis had been put on the plane because of some fuel/weight issue.

Not surprisingly there were no reps rushing around handing back 15 quid to everyone.

However, it was quite nice to have the skis arrive on one's doorstep the following morning.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never had to pay - usually fly swiss or easyjet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can confirm Air Canada don't charge. Flew back other week with 40kg + skis, no issue, no charge, not even a raised eyebrow.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BA/Quantas didn't charge me. Hopefully Lufthansa/Tyrolean airways will be the same.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No charge with Excel (they carry for Mark Warner amongst others) despite the tour operator's conditions saying that must go within normal allowance. I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable amount if it removed the uncertainty.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use easyjet a lot and they don't charge unlike ryan air.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had to pay with excel but was caught by the crystal rep, also had to pay with Air 2000 - last choice holidays the other week - adding up the costs of servicing etc makes my supersport 5 stars very expensive but I love them soooo much !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've never paid, on either chartered or scheduled flights, actually I've only been asked once and that was by the travel agent. I told them I'd sort it out at the aiport, but again no-one asked.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In Manchester this January, I had to produce my invoice to show that I had paid for ski carriage on My Travel flight to Salzburg. If you hadn't paid, your skis weren't getting on, as there were no My Travel reps at 3.30am willing to take your money. One guy left his skis in lost property until he returned.
OK, if you're doing a DIY job, great, but tour operators seem to be imposing the payment all the time now. I just accept it as part of the cost.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 24-02-04 14:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Hells teeth, that's an eye opener. Perhaps we could list the operators who do actually check up.
snow report
I know that My Travel definitely do - I had to produce my invoice, as stated above. Let's face it, they charge £2 for headphones to watch the inflight programmes on the TVs, so it's not really surprising!
ski holidays
Easyjet do not charge. It tends to be the charter airlines.

Just lie and tell them at the airport that you have already paid your travel agent.

If your overall weight allowance does not get exceeded why should you have to pay more, its not like they are slung on the tarmac any softer by the baggage handlers!
snow conditions
Peter B wrote:
Let's face it, they charge £2 for headphones to watch the inflight programmes on the TVs, so it's not really surprising!

We were stranded at Munich once because due to delays the air crew exceeded their duty hours. So we're all stuck in an aeroplane at 11pm for several hours. And the prison camp stewardesses still demand that people pay for the headphones, and also refuse to put the sound on main speakers.

Sheesh! rolling eyes

Luckily someone saw sense and after the plane's oxygen ran out let us out into an airport seating area. Not even musak...

Exciting hours later the new crew arrive and off we go.

We then discover that another chuck of our party didn't even make it to Munich, but hey, they got put up in hotels the lucky bugs.
snow report
Ok, can anyone tell me what Airtours do? Little Angel

Do they charge for carriage?
If so do they allow payment at the airport?
Do they require proof of payment?

Incidentally, has anyone ever had to pay or demonstrate proof of payment on the return trip? Shocked
snow conditions
I think My Travel is the own airline of Airtours and Panorama. I certainly did not have to produce proof on the way back, so could easily have bought my skis in resort.
I'm flying with Britannia next. Does anyone know if I will need proof?
latest report
Took a pair of skis through Dubai once in high summer (don't ask ......).
As the bag came up on the carouselle, the guy next to me looked long and hard, head scratched, then said .......
" Bloody big fishing rod ! "
But BA didn't charge for them. Cool
ski holidays
Should have told him it was a gun.
snow report
Peter b, I travelled with Britannia airways a month back. Didn't book my skis beforehand, and was not charged or questioned either in or out.

People I know fly with kayaks and paddles, and they reckon the best way is to turn up early, smile a lot and blag it. They almost always get away with it. Not on KLM though, apparently they are awkward sods.
ski holidays
Thanks Richard, I paid £15 per ski bag yesterday! Why did I not wait until today??
latest report
I did read on a thread somewhere (again, could have been 'the other place' that the tour company takes the money in effect as insurance, so that if the airline does have to leave skis behind for weight reasons, they have a pot of money to pay for the skis carriage to the resorts ASAP.

You cannot deny the airlines right to unload skis for safety reasons. Very few people with skis and boots will be under a 20kg limit.
snow report
Just had tickets through for March holiday with Neilson. Ski carriage paid is printed on the airline tickets. On First Choice holiday 3 weeks ago, there were ski carriage paid stickers on the tickets. I guess charter flight holiday organisers are getting wise to the "blaggers" who say they've paid when they haven't Shocked
snow conditions
Well if Easyjet can manage without making extra charges I can`t see any real excuse why the others have to charge.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pete Horn wrote:
You cannot deny the airlines right to unload skis for safety reasons. Very few people with skis and boots will be under a 20kg limit.

I always thought the 20Kg limit was a cost one (e.g. fuel costs). Anyhoo, I managed about 20.5Kg with skis, boots rucksack last week (tip - put boots in rucksack, limits non-eseentials like clothes Very Happy )
latest report
Perhaps the airlines should start charging chubbers extra then, if it's a safety issue. I only weigh 65kg, so does that mean I can carry an extra 70kg of baggage compared with Mr Creosote?
snow report
It's weight that is the real killer but I don't see why the companies couldn't change over to a charging system that includes the passenger as well. Why should a fat sod like me get away without paying any extra yet one of my skiing buddies who weighs half what I do has to pay for every kg over the limit?
The outsize nature of skis is a totally different thing all together, I was told that the newer, smaller planes being brought into service have less hold space per passenger and as a result there would be a problem physically fitting the stuff on if each passenger rolled up toting a suitcase, boot bag and ski bag.
Last year on the return flight the pilot came on the tannoy and announced that we were over the plane's structural limits, then paused, then said they'd offload the drinks carts to compensate. All the way back the woman in front of me kept moaning that she couldn't have a drink, tough titty missus, would you rather they took the luggage off?
ski holidays
Didn't pay with UA to USA or KLM to Europe Cool
latest report
Brought some skis back from Barcelona in November, flew with easyjet, and they didn't charge. I think they allow sports equipment free up to a certain weight.
snow report
handyman, that's good news - I'm off to Geneva with KLM (via Amsterdam) next month!

FenlandSkier, sorry - didn't mean to offend! I think you have a point though, but thinking about my post more carefully, human rights / PC campaigners would be up in arms if "larger" people (there we are, I've got my PC hat on now!) were charged more. Anyway, I think the hole's large enough now, so I'll just stop digging!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 25-02-04 0:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I work for one of the "evil charging charter" tour operators- and from getting nasty screaming calls as soon as the phones open at 8am I can tell you that all charters will charge you! basically if you dont get charged you're lucky.
Charters are:
Britannia/Thomson Flights- book Thomson and Crystal Holidays

Air2000/FirstCHoice Airways- First choice hols

My Travel- Airtours and Panorama holidays

JMC/ THomas Cook Airlines- Neilson

Beware- they will charge you, and they rarely have reps in UK departure airports- it should be down to the Baggage Handlers eg Serviceair and always take your invoice with you- saves alot of the phone calls and hassle
snow conditions
Luthansa didn't charge for my skis, and gave me an extra 15kg baggage allowance for free, just for the asking !
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
I work for one of the "evil charging charter" tour operators- and from getting nasty screaming calls as soon as the phones open at 8am I can tell you that all charters will charge you! basically if you dont get charged you're lucky.

Beware- they will charge you, and they rarely have reps in UK departure airports- it should be down to the Baggage Handlers eg Serviceair and always take your invoice with you- saves alot of the phone calls and hassle

Hmmn... So, this season, how many people so far do you reckon have arrived at the airport hoping that the ski carriage fee will be 'forgotten about', and instead have been told that if they didn't pre-book it they have to leave their skis in the UK?

That sounds like mucho unhappy bunnies to me. Especially if they don't even have the option of paying at the airport.

Sad "Well, I've always been able to pay on check-in before!!!" Crying or Very sad

Or is it that they have to pay prohibitively expensive oversize/overweight luggage penalties instead? Mad

What kind of dosh are we talking about? 50 quid? 100 quid?

Should those of us hoping that the rep won't fancy getting up early enough for the dawn flight, rethink whether to pre-book carriage??

Shocked
ski holidays
How much does it cost to courier them to the resort? You wouldn't have to do next day delivery, unless Blighty gets a big dump just before you go.
ski holidays
Oohh id say at least 25 so far this season. You dont get reps in UK departure airports, you get the Customer service staff but theyre pretty much there for appearances only and have to call Head Office for permission to wipe their own nose- let alone charge excess baggage. Its usually serviceair and Aviance who take your hard earned pennies.

Twisted Evil It costs on average £13 to take your skis with you- based on the average spend of £500 per week per person- my advice is dont be so stingey you people!! Just pre pay it and then you wont have to stress about it or call me up and whinge incessantly down the phone on the injustice of it all- because basically if its an avoidable problem - Its your own fault..... And as far as charging goes at the airport- starts around £10 per kilo for sports equipment,

Sooo please just give them the money!?
ski holidays
So about 25 people have had to leave their skis in the UK? Shocked

Are these people who admitted they hadn't paid, or people who lied and were then found out? Twisted Evil

What about people who usually rent, but just coincidentally happened to spot a bargain in their ski shop and bought skis the day before their flight? Question
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy