Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poor Snow in Utah

Poster: A snowHead
Park City opened yesterday - a couple of chairs and runs, mainly on man made. All a bit brown on the webcams Sad. The Canyons opens next weekend - snow conditions permitting. Alta looks more or less all white on the webcams but cover looks thin.

Snowforecast.com is showing freezing levels above the summits with only a dusting of snow in sight.....With 6 weeks to go until I'm there there's still plenty of time - but does anyone know any snow dances rolling eyes ??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It'll come. Have no fear.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
haha that'll teach them to be anti-gay! http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44336
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You don't need snow dances for Utah! The snow will be awesome by the time you get there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for the reassurance and counselling - but Canyons and Park City summit webcams actually show no snow whatsoever - looks more like September and no meaningful snow forecast in the next week.

Is this normal for Utah in December?? With committed expenditure for the trip running well into four figures it's a bit of a concern.... Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, the trip is now four weeks on Saturday - and still no sign of any significant snow. Snowforecast is showing 1cm for Park City in the next 6 days.....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
24 hours is a long time in the mountains.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict, 4 weeks is a long time. Last time we were in The Canyons we had 62 inches of snow in a week.
About 12 weeks to go till we go back snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They're getting snow now Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last winter we were in Powder Mountain, Utah and got 46" in a 24 hour period. A few years earlier, we got 44" at ALTA overnight.

So, don't worry about Utah Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
errr, does this break this cycle's "the US gets better snow than Europe" opinion? I have never seen such a good start to Europe in 20 years. And it's not just local, it seems to be across CH, FR, IT and AT. Fantastic. Pity about the bl**dy exchange rates...(these hurt me very directly). Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

does this break this cycle's "the US gets better snow than Europe" opinion?

Maybe also the "Austria gets better early snow than France" opinion. It's patchy this year, even in Europe, and it's hugely different year on year. What it does indicate is that any firm opinion about where the best snow "will" be at any given future moment is tosh.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear the fox the snow?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Last winter we were in Powder Mountain, Utah and got 46" in a 24 hour period. A few years earlier, we got 44" at ALTA overnight.

So, don't worry about Utah

Quote:

They're getting snow now

Cheers to all - I am reassured by all the positive snowHead comments & tales of monster dumps - but will be happier when Park city gets more than 2 lifts open!! The snow dance continues in the meantime!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steve Sparks, Laughing
latest report
Let's update Utah: First of all it's snowing as I write this so...

But as of this morning:

Park City had all lifts operating on a 53" base, so mountainaddict should be happy.

Some of the others:

ALTA - 79" base
Snowbird - 77"
Brighton 60"
Solitude 59"
Deer Valley 58"
The Canyons 42"

Up north a bit: Snowbasin and Powder Mountain both report a 60" base at mid-mountain.

Did I mention that it's snowing? snowHead
snow report
Cheers to altajoe and all other respondees - the snow was never in doubt and mountainaddict is indeed now more than happy!!

altajoe: I assume that you're in Alta?? Can you advise? We won't have a car when in Alta and want to also ski Snowbird. Seems daft to buy an expensive dual resort ticket to then only the Alta lifts to acccess Snowbird - is there a bus to Snowbird? If so, I assume we could ski Snowbird all day then ski back to our Alta accommodation (probably unofficially.... Toofy Grin)??

2 more days at work and then we're off!!
ski holidays
snowbird is literally right next to alta.
there are shuttles if you can't ski.
snow conditions
mountainaddict, why no car? You're missing out on most of what Utah offers, 9 major areas within 45 minutes. Seriously just rent one and explore, if you are exp.ecting Alta to have as large a skiing area as a big Euro resort then you'll be disappointed.
snow report
Shannyla

Mtn Addict advised in a previous thread that he is doing a 10 day trip, with a week in Park City and three nights at Alta.

As he drives (usually with me!) on all other ski trips abroad he isn't desperate to hire a car, particularly as it will stand unused for a week in Park City when he either walks to the lift outside his hotel, or takes the bus to the Canyons or Deer Valley. And, also, reasonably priced shuttles are available for transfers from SLC.

And as for Alta, I don't think any self respecting skier would get there and be disappointed. Mr Addict knows (from me, following my week long trip to Alta 2 years ago, which, by the way, was not long enough...) that Alta could not be more different to somewhere like the 3 Valleys or Espace Killy - and therein lies the appeal. It is like NOWHERE we have skied before (over 23 years at over 100 resorts) and must (IMHO) be some of the best skiing on the planet....

3 Snowboards

Quote:

snowbird is literally right next to alta.

Is that as opposed to "metaphorically" next to Alta?
snow conditions
John Crawford, I try and spend at least a month to 6 weeks each year in SLC, so I'm with you on most points. That's why I made the point about the size rather than any other aspect of the Altabird experience. I'd missed the fact that he was spending a week on the Darkside of the Wasatch, but without a car he'll still miss out on Snowbasin and Powder Mountain (which admittedly isn't to everyone's taste...), and getting to Big Cottonwood Canyon is a bitch on the bus.

What am I saying? Utah's rubbish, with crap snow, no sun, and drinking alcohol is illegal and punished with stiff prison sentences, with hard labor. Also it avalanches all the time, actually that is the case right now, so everyone should go to Vail...
snow conditions
If you go to Vail, just remember to buy suspenders for your ski pant Laughing
snow report
John Crawford, I've just done a Ray Zorro there, and for 'eons' presumed that mountainaddict was a woman... rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy