Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quick question about avalanche theory again...

Poster: A snowHead
No, an equilateral triangle with one side vertical has the other sides at 30º to the vertical. Stick one pole in the ground, measure a ski pole length up the slope.
If the slope is 30º that point will be a ski pole length from the top of the vertical pole.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 2-12-08 12:34; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball, i know, but just kidding around as anything to do with maths seems to get people excited here... Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think I may mark a pole with tape as Mark Handford says.

For those with no Tangent tables - the length (from the bottom to the tape - if the total pole length is x) will be:

15º = 0.27x
20º = 0.37x
25º = 0.47x
30º = 0.58x
35º = 0.70x
40º = 0.84x
45º = 1.00x (ie the whole pole)

You need to decide if you will stick the pole in the snow, in which case you exclude the bit below the basket.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 2-12-08 12:41; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, oh right..... I am so easy to wind up rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball wrote:
If nobody knows perhaps someone has a 1:25,000 map and could count contours for the top section and work it out (roughly).

I do, but it's one of those that's quite hard to work out because it's rocky at the top and it's hard to read the contour lines.

I must admit that I've never managed to get onto the Swiss Wall when it's been anything other than bumped up - which makes the estimate hard.

The first 100m is significantly steeper than the rest - which probably mellows out to a sustained 30 degrees for most of it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball, looks interesting, but can you round those to 1 significant figure for me? in engineering notation? Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton, I did read somewhere that the very top section of Swiss Wall is 80 degrees?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why stop at 80 degrees. How about 101 degrees?

wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I knew I had seen it somewhere... 2nd one down...
http://hiver.savoie-mont-blanc.com/home/our-suggestions/must-do-ski-runs/expert-runs-52-2.html

bad_roo, wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Per cent is not the same as degrees.

100% is 45 degrees.

So 80% is about 36 degrees.

Diamant Noir in Flaine has a strecth that's over 40 degrees.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Percent is horizontal distance devided by vertical x 100 (ie Tangent x 100) so 80% (looking at my Natural Tangents tables) is over 38º. But I bet thats just the steepest bit.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PhillipStanton wrote:
stoatsbrother, 38 degrees would be an even better question wink wink

GordonFreeman, on the training I've done slab avalanches have much worse press than loose snow ones.

The Swiss Wall is steep enough at the top to slough off, but getting hit by slough is only a real risk there if it carries you into a pylon or you've ducked the rope skier's right - in which case you're skiing above a cliff band.

Personally I'd prefer to be hit by slough on the Swiss Wall and take a tumble in soft snow than take a tumble on it after the snow's settled.

On the "cutting" thing - it's not unreasonable to suggest that you should seek to minimise risk to people below you by not skiing directly above them.

Surely this means you must ski one at a time, wait til the 1st person down has got to a flat section and then ski after them? Or...traverse and then traverse to them but that still leaves 2 of you in one place potentially putting more weight on the pack?

PhillipStanton wrote:

In good years snow melt-freezes into the top layer of the ground and is strongly bonded. In bad years the snow never really bonds to the ground properly.

How does melt and then ice bond to the snow crystals? I know it's all essentially water but much of the stuff in Freeskiing talks about crystals. If surface hoar is essentially halfway to ice then full ice must prevent any bonding at all. Can't slabs slip over ice sections? There you go, that's probably 3 different questions Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GordonFreeman wrote:
Surely this means you must ski one at a time, wait til the 1st person down has got to a flat section and then ski after them? Or...traverse and then traverse to them but that still leaves 2 of you in one place potentially putting more weight on the pack?

ski one at a time from safe zone to safe zone. safe zones aren't necessarily flat. and flat places aren't necessarily safe
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GordonFreeman wrote:
PhillipStanton wrote:
On the "cutting" thing - it's not unreasonable to suggest that you should seek to minimise risk to people below you by not skiing directly above them.
One at a time is good. However, I think PhillipStanton refers to looking out for other groups. Do not ski where an avalanche you create can hit other groups. The polite and safe way is to wait in a safe place until the group below has moved away. A related point is to keep an eye out above you for impolite groups who ski above you and put your group at risk.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I see people ignoring this all the time off piste! Admittedly, they might only be a little off piste and when level is 2 but still...
How do you define safe zones? A lot of people just stop at regular intervals on off piste sections for a rest.
I guess the point I'm making is that very few people follow these rules unless you are way off in the backcountry perhaps with a guide.
ski holidays
GordonFreeman wrote:
I guess the point I'm making is that very few people follow these rules unless you are way off in the backcountry perhaps with a guide.

Well if they have any doubt about the safety of a slope they must. It is irresponsible not to. If they have no idea if it is safe then by definition they have doubt.

A safe point is one off the main slope, the safety of which is in doubt (or slope threatened by it). A typical place would be on a ridge to one side of the slope being skied, or at least to one side under a section with exposed rocks where the natural line for the avalanche of the slope would tend to divert snow away from it. Or if possible wind plaque on one face of the slope were the danger, then it might just be a bit of the slope with another orientation.
latest report
Near to the pistes you get people who are just learning about off piste and who do not know the etiquette or know about the risks of off piste. Further from the piste you find the better skiers and (unfortunately) the reckless and the stupid. I have skied with guides who wait carefully for other groups to pass below, they wave thanks to groups above who have waited for us. They have also shouted and sworm at groups who ski above us and put our group at risk.

I agree with snowball about places of safety. Perhaps another way of finding safe places is to look at the places that are risky. Then work out why they are risky and choose the safe places that minimize the risks.
Risky: The middle of a big snow slope as the whole slope may avalanche.
Risky: Below a big face or below rocks that may avalanche.
Risky: Near slopes that have already avalanched.
Risky: Areas that have a history of avalanches.

I am sure others here can give other examples of risky places.

You cannot avoid risks off piste, so the goal is to minimize them. Waiting in safe (ie less risky places) and skiing one at a time across the less safe areas means that should anything happen then only one person is exposed and the rest of the group have only one person to rescue.
snow report
Adrian wrote:
or below rocks that may avalanche.
Not sure what you meant by this? Rocks are normally good (unless there are other factors).
snow report
Yes, sorry snowball, poor my phrasing. Below rocks with lots of snow on them or above them. Below rocks where you have not been able to see what is above them. You could even worry about rock slides.
snow conditions
Related question...
How much surface hoar is considered bad?
Sitting on the lift today, you could see the hoar over the snow that hadn't been skied on, ie the glistening stuff.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy