Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cheapo iron for waxing

Poster: A snowHead
what's happened to the old £5 travel irons without steam that were perfect for waxing.. they seem to all have been replaced by £10 travel irons with steam holes..

Anyone got a source of decent cheap wax-suitable irons, fleabay doesn't seem to be much better unless you want to pay £10 for something made in the 60s...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What you want is a Dry Iron Can pick them up for between8 and 13 quid from some places.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingavon-1000-Watt-dry-iron/dp/B000MOH3NG?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you tried Freecycle?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
woody911 wrote:
What you want is a Dry Iron Can pick them up for between8 and 13 quid from some places.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingavon-1000-Watt-dry-iron/dp/B000MOH3NG?tag=amz07b-21

True but it's a bit of a monster wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i got one for about a tenner from Robert Dyas - simple electric iron with no steam holes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bertie bassett, a word of warning.
The thermostats on "cheapo travel irons" (I bought one second hand off e-bay) may not be as sensitive (and therefore not keep the temperature very constant).
I know this to my cost - this is my wife's ski which got a little too warm thank to my ministrations Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nick L wrote:
bertie bassett, a word of warning.
The thermostats on "cheapo travel irons" (I bought one second hand off e-bay) may not be as sensitive (and therefore not keep the temperature very constant).
I know this to my cost - this is my wife's ski which got a little too warm thank to my ministrations Sad

Nice that should work well on the moguls wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bertie bassett, actually it did seem to work fine depite the lumps! We replaced it because we were worried that there might be a sudden catastrophic loss of the base.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mine has got steam holes. I've just studiously ignored them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick L, sorry mate but I laughed out loud when I clicked on your photo. Might print it off and put it over my work bench as an aid to concentration. Just what was the reaction of Mrs L?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno wrote:
i got one for about a tenner from Robert Dyas - simple electric iron with no steam holes

Thanks Arno, job done!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob wrote:
Nick L, sorry mate but I laughed out loud when I clicked on your photo. Might print it off and put it over my work bench as an aid to concentration. Just what was the reaction of Mrs L?

That's a result he's got to get me some new ski's Razz
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Am I missing something here, I just use an old steam iron (obviously without any water in it ) Ground the Teflon plate off with a belt sander, work's a treat. Too big to take on hols but I just supplement a well waxed base with Notwax.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob, Kel is spot on. The result is that my wallet is somewhat lighter. Sad
I put the photo up knowing that it might cause a bit of merriment at my expense but felt it important that people should be warned!
Surprisingly, it only happened to one of her skis, so I did talk about her learning to ski only on one leg but she didn't seem interested rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nick L, Shocked Those skis do look sad. I have now found a hole-less iron (from the back of a neighbour's attic). You could also make friends with someone who runs a charity shop - they can't sell electricals, and get stuff like that brought in. A friend from a SCF shop gave me one, so now I have two - but both in France. Until I got one I used one with holes, with no problem. The holes get a bit clogged with wax, but that's OK. You do have to watch the temperature - I've sort of got the hang of how fast the wax melts. Too fast and I turn the iron down, too slow and I turn it up. High - tech stuff. wink
snow report
pam w,
Quote:

I've sort of got the hang of how fast the wax melts. Too fast and I turn the iron down, too slow and I turn it up. High - tech stuff.

Yeah, thanks for that rolling eyes
I have done what I should have done in the first place and spent £40 on a proper ski-waxing iron - it would have been cheaper Confused
latest report
I use my wife's encaustic art iron.

It is designed for melting wax, even if a slightly different compound to what we use on skis.

She isn't too keen on the fact that the ski edges tend to scratch te base of the iron a little though Sad'
ski holidays
You are supposed to melt the wax onto the ski, not vice versa. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy