Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

High resort near Genena

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,
My first post! I need help getting accomodation in a high resort near Geneva(would drive max 3 hrs). Got flights arrive 26/03/09 leave 30/03/09 for myself and the wife. Any help with web sites etc much appreciated! Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RONSTER, welcome to snowheads, there are lots what are you after.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Val Thorens - highest resort in Europe. About 2.5 - 2.75 hours drive if you put your foot down...

Or you could drive to Chamonix in an hour - there's a glacier at Argentiere (Grand Montets) that's open for skiing until May.

Or there are dozens of other resorts that should have decent snow in March - eg Megeve (1 hour drive), La Clusaz (1 hr), Grand Bornand (1 hour).

I don't think you will need to book yet as your dates are outside the school hols and you could therefore wait until just before you go to see where the snow is.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey RONSTER, apologies for the shameless promotion but we have developed a search exactly for your needs, you will find it in the top left of our header on the web address seen below. It is just launched, any feedback would be greatly welcomed. Please note we set the parameters at 100 miles so the results might not give you all the of those within 3 hrs, but give it a go in any case.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ineedsnow wrote:
Hey RONSTER, apologies for the shameless promotion but we have developed a search exactly for your needs, you will find it in the top left of our header on the web address seen below. It is just launched, any feedback would be greatly welcomed. Please note we set the parameters at 100 miles so the results might not give you all the of those within 3 hrs, but give it a go in any case.

I think you need to offer the distance thing as a parameter..obviously if you're going for 3 or 4 days then you want to be close, but if you're going for a week then you might want to go further. Selecting "advanced ski areas" and lyon only gives you ADH and L2A, based on the 100m rule, but there's a lot more advanced places in the tarentaise. WTSS offer a comination of factors allowing you to select upto 3 criteria which is very useful e.g. cheap, snowsure and mountain restos

You should explain how you calculate the ratings too - you've scored Valdespair as a 5 but tignes as a 4 for advanced, also why does Meribel score 4.3 and les arcs only 4.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

why does Meribel score 4.3 and les arcs only 4.

that's obvious. Availability of bars where most of the staff speak no French.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

why does Meribel score 4.3 and les arcs only 4.

that's obvious. Availability of bars where most of the staff speak no French.
Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why high? Presumably for the snow, in which case why not look at some of the snowsure resorts not much more than an hour from Geneva, e.g. Flaine, Les Contamines and Avoriaz.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the feedback, we have just launched this feature and we can tweak with the parameters but essentially it is designed for someone who has flights and needs to search for a certain type of resort. if you run a search for high altitude resorts near Geneva then both Flaine and Avoriaz come up, Les Contamines not as we do not yet feature that resort. whether we settle on 100miles or another distance will be based on user experience, hopefully this feature will be of use to quite a few - christ we have been asked it enough times, we want to get this sort of feature online, then we can deal with more specific questions about a destination. thanks again for the feedback - cold and sunny in innsbruck right now but not one of our search options wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ineedsnow, So Chamonix is family friendly but not snow sure? Errr, how does that work exactly? Cham season closes May 11 - significantly later than Avoriaz or Flaine.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch, perhaps they factor in resort level snow? Most things happen higher up around Chamonix itself (though the skiing includes Argentiere really).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi David Murdoch, thanks for the feedback. If you run a search for snow sure skiing you will see Chamonix is just about top. The family friendly search results are generated from user ratings, which you or anyone else are entitled to submit. Personally I think the resort amenities of cham are good for families but the buses and traffic there are not. But these are my opinions and mine are no better than yours, yours are no better than the visitors. Everywhere has something good going for it and something bad - Ski Rossendale was pretty much ski in, ski out but i would not rate the lift system Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RONSTER

I cannot agree enough that you do not need to book any accommodation until much nearer the time.

As Alan Partridgee might say, the ski world will literally be your oyster at that time of year! With the likes of Espace Killy, 3 Vallees, Grands Montets, Les Arcs, La Plagne, Verbier, Zermatt, Saas Fee (and more!!) open well into April and May you will have no problem with snow cover - eg I have regularly skied Espace Killy over the May Day Bank Hol weekend, when you can usually ski back to Les Brevieres (1500m) and well over half the ski area is still open.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
what about avoriaz high resort good snow and fairly cheap with only 1.30 hours transport time with great access to port du soleil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy