Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anyone in Serre Chevalier check their email?!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Good grief... It's not like I'm being too demanding or anything! I've emailed (over the last 3 to 4 days) something like 7 or 8 chalet/apartment owners, 3 major "residence" (ie Pierre & Vacances sort of things) contacts and one or two reservation agencies. I haven't had ONE reply! I even included a google/babelfish English to French translation on my emails...

I suspect it's because I'm trying to organise accommodation for a large group and I'm after Sunday - Sunday accommodation...

Still... it would be nice to at least be told they don't have anything rather than getting utterly ignored.

Is it the norm in France to deal via fax/phone instead of email? Seems a bit stone-age...

Mel... do you know who the best people to speak to about acoommodation in Monetiers are please? And should I fax them or do you know if someone's English will be good enough to cope with me!?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously it's not really good customer service, but if you're seriously suggesting only the French ignore email than I'd have to ask what color the sky is on your planet ? Very Happy Very Happy

I agree it's annoying though, one of my pet hates is people or organisations that give you an email address and then show no sign of ever reading anything sent to them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only personal experience for that really... had similar problems 3 years ago trying to organise something in Isola 2000, yet 2 years ago in Ellmau, Austria virtually everyone I emailed replied quickly within a day or so, even if they were saying, "sorry, no room at the inn..."
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
carled, Have you tried their tourist office (if they have one), maybe they are all still feeling the worse for their New Years celebrations but I've rarely had to wait more than 48 hours for a reply, the one time I did that I can recall was when the hotel was shut down for renovation work
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From our very own snowBase, the Serre Che tourist office
contact@ot-serrechevalier.fr
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm not on the same pc at the moment that I sent the emails from, so can't check, but that email address looks ever so familiar... Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carled, perhaps it might be worth taking your group somewhere that would appreciate your custom!!!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ha! good point. Trouble is finding somewhere that's suitable! Late March trip so must be high up, near to Turin, Sunday - Sunday, good mix of slopes, swimming pool for non-skier... doesn't leave too many places unfortunately.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You could be indoors checking your e-mail, or outdoors sliding down a snow covered mountain. I know which I'd choose.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Point taken. But even I'd stop occasionally for a quick hot choc or something... Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carled, if you haven't found any accomodation yet, and I think you probably have from your other posts, try booking apartments through Erna Low. Also the Hotel Alliey have apartments in Monetier. I have booked a room with them and received a very prompt reply, and the hotel was closed at the time. Also try www.dyon-immobilier.com (estate agent with apartments to let) and www.les-agneaux.com and www.serrechevalier.org (our own Chris advertises his aprtment her)

Sorry-must have missed this post first time round. Tourist office rarely reply!!!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Helen - I did eventually get a great deal from "Muriel" in the Tourist office, including discounted equipment hire and lesson costs for some of the group... well worth the wait - we're saving £80-£100 per head because of the "late snow" deal that kicks in as we arrive. We had 17 to accommodate and got 4 x 4 person flats in the "Le Bez" apartment block and 1 in "Le Grand Pre". They look well positioned on the village map anyway!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled, sounds good. Close to Frejus lift I think.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled, Turin airport on a Sunday... hmmmm... fun! WE were there with 2.5 hours to spare, and they took so long checking us in, the plane was delayed by 45-60min. Apparently it's like that every Sunday...!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh great. I don't think I'll mention that to my group...
snow report
carled, if you're on a charter it's worse as tour ops all arrive together. You may be OK on Ryanair, but not used them on a Sunday.
snow report
On Easyjet, not Ryanair. Late morning check-in. Hopefully before the rush!
snow report
carled, I hope you enjoy the slopes after all that hassle. It can be tough organising for such a group We organise a group of friends every year, take it in turns to organise. Must be my turn soon to organise another one so I can expect another few grey hairs!!
ski holidays
carled, Does your "late snow" thing mean you'll all be bussing over here when there's no snow over there? I only ask because we do get somewhat fed up with it! wink wink
ski holidays
easiski, I'd sincerely hope not! It would have to be spectacularly bad snow for us to want to go to Deux Alpes! 45 minutes ride for not an awful lot more apart from the flat bit on the glacier! I've been to Deux Alpes twice (both times in March). Snow was poor both times, but on the second holiday it snowed a foot of fresh powder one day (highly unexpectedly too) and we had the entire "other side" to ourselves all morning. (Can't remember its name now, but the bit that hardly anyone goes up anyway.)

On the first holiday, our rep actually took us for a day in, yep, Serre Che as the snow was considered by many to be better there than Deux Alpes! I just don't like the nastly little blue road/run that takes you back down to the 2000m level. It's about the only way back down the mountain (well it was when I last went) and at the end of the day it's littered with nervous beginners and groups of grouchy old europeans getting in each other's way. No fun.

I know what you mean about people bussing in, but trust me on this... we will not be swelling the numbers by 17 in that week! If we do go out from Serre Che we'll do the Milky Way or PSV.
snow conditions
carled, you''l be lucky if it's 45 minutes. Mind you we were held up by the cyclists in the Summer, so It might be quicker.
snow report
Helen... I don't WANT to go to Deux Alpes!!! Can't remember where I got the 45 mins from, but it's theoretical... I promise all those skiers & boarders heading for Deux Alpes between the 20th & 27th March that neither I, nor any other member of my group will set foot in the resort!

You're all just pulling my chain, aren't you...
snow report
carled wrote:
Can't remember where I got the 45 mins from, but it's theoretical... .

I really do think I've heard that excuse somewhere before Very Happy
ski holidays
carled wrote:
I even included a google/babelfish English to French translation on my emails...

They probably thought you'd mistaken their hotels etc for a tobacconist's... (c/ref Monty P. thread).
latest report
Hi Carl, I now have email/internet back up and running and what a relief. Sorry I missed this discussion when it mattered (oh, it always matters tho' sorry, but you know what I mean...!) Have you got the accomm sorted then? Let me know if I can help. I should be around once a day from now on. Mel
latest report
Hi Mel - good to see you back. Also glad to see the snow gods are at least starting to think about topping up the pistes. OK, it's a long time 'til we're out there but the more base, the better!

Sorted the accom out now thanks. Tourist office got us on the "last snow" deal and sorted out accom in Villeneuve at the Grand Pre and Le Bez apartments near the Frejus chair. The package gets us a cheap Grand Serre Che lift pass too, saving us a good £100 per head. They've also arranged discounted equipment hire for those in the group who need it (was going to be with Regis Sports but they've switched it to Jack Sports to get better discounts or something - I think that Regis didn't do deals on kids snowboards and that's what a couple of the kids wanted to do!).

Not sure what's happening on lessons. I think a few of the newbies are going off to the snowdome to experiment with both boarding and skiing to see which grans them the most. I think that only the 4 kids are going to take lessons (2 boarding and two undecided!) and maybe two learner skiiers. The Tourist office have offered us deals on the ski lessons too. Strangely enough, they are offering both the ESF and an alternative - the Ecole Buissoniere or something like that? On their website it says they have smaller group sizes, which would be better if any of our lot do end up taking lessons.

I'd dearly love to take my two girls up to your place for lessons but I just don't think it'll be practical... Firstly they seem fairly determined to try boarding this time and secondly the timing involved in getting them up to Monetier by 9:30 every morning would be nasty! I'd just be too worried about missing the ski bus and not knowing where to bring the kids to... too darned stressful!
latest report
Carl, the valley bus stops on the edge of the carpark for Monetier which is 150m from the meeting point for Eurekaski. It's really easy to get to and find. If I can manage it, then no-one should have any excuse!

I guess the hardest part is getting sorted in the mornings just to get on the bus wink Laughing
snow report
That's the point exactly... Getting two sub-11 year olds up, breakfasted, togged up with all kit, made sure they've been to the loo... twice..., got the lift pass, got boots... got the RIGHT boots, skis, poles, matching poles... no, yours are BLUE, not red..., got the lip salve, gone back to get their gloves 2 minutes after we rush out already behind schedule is the hard bit... Once we're on the bus, no problem, it's jsut getting there!

Then I'm in Monetier at 9:30 and the rest of my group are in Villeneuve... and it all gets a bit stressful... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled, benn there done that. We had lessons with Eurekaski in their first season in Serre Che, and excellent they were too, but naking htat ski bus was a nightmare, as the youngest is like snail . However, if you are hiring cars, it will be really easy, no hassle to find the meeting place.
snow conditions
What's the valley road like between Villeneuve and Monetier at that time of morning? If we did end up with a car, what would be the driving time between the two villages then?
latest report
10 mins at most,
ski holidays
It's a four minute drive and if you're worried about a rush hour, that doesn't exist here! Also the road is always clear even when it's been snowing. The only thing to watch out for is the appalling French drivers! But I have a theory about why the locals drive so fast. Doing 70 or 80 mph is nothing in their car compared to the speeds they go downhill on two planks of wood!
ski holidays
chris, Very Happy . I erred on the side of caution with the times, as I figured he might have to get out of the car and get the gloves his daughters/sons had dropped, go back to the apartment for the liftpass etc etc.
snow report
Ah - that was another thing I was going to ask... is it therefore not worth hiring snowchains (even if, please!, it snows!) to drive from Turin as all roads will be cleared?

So theoretically I could do a 10 minute round trip from Villeneuve to Monetier to drop the kids off at Eurekaski?
snow report
carled, the gendarmes may be checking if there is snow forecast. You'll probably be Ok in March though. If it snows you'll need them , a long windy steep climb, both up to Montgenvre and down into Briancon.
snow conditions
Carled, I think you can hire snowchains with the car. You will need them as friends got stuck in snow on that mountain in October!
Helen, see you next week. Its been snowing hard here for the last few hours so it will be good for you.
ski holidays
chris, will ring you and arrange something. we should be passing through Chantemerle about 5ish on Sunday.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, maybe Chris could dish out some vin chauds as you go through? Laughing Have a great trip and I'm not all envious ....much.
snow conditions
Mark Hunter,sorry!!!
snow report
carled,
Just had a quick look through the thread. As the others say Villeneuve to Monetier is no distance in a car. If you decide to stick to Villeneuve though I would recommend Bussoniere. They are great with kids and use a less crowded area than the ESF. We have been using them for a number of years for the children and never had a problem.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy