Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

On the hill repair kit,who's got one and what's in it?

Poster: A snowHead
I would be interested to hear what people have in their ski ,ski tour, ski mountaineer repair kits as this may hopefully be beneficial to us all, there are always different things, new and old, lets swap ideas.

In mine

proper gaffer/duck tape - its not really broken if you can fix it with this, is it?
large bombproof cable ties
storm seal glue (seamsealer)
elastic from the middle of tent poles
self adhesive patches of repair material for jackets/trousers
small 15mm bolts and nuts - for crampon repairs
allen key for boots (canting)
leatherman tool
coiled up 2m length picture hanging wire

With this lot Im sure I could fix pretty much anything I might need to. Its a small and leight package.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mark handford wrote:
.......proper gaffer/duck tape - its not really broken if you can fix it with this, is it?

Yup. Wrapped around a pole.

Quote:
storm seal glue (seamsealer)

Nope. I've got gaffer tape.

Quote:
self adhesive patches of repair material for jackets/trousers

Nope. I've got gaffer tape.

Quote:

You change your boots' cant on the slopes? Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hip Flask Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyderman, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Quote:

mark handford, are you James Bond? What on EARTH do you need that for? Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles, ever tried to get it off your ski pole? (If you ski enough, you can't, maybe if you renew it every week).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A spare front clip for the skins has proved invaluable. I know some people who carry a tube of glue for their skins, better to make sure they are in good nick before setting out. I have a mate who carries a pole repair kit and has used it.

Oh yes and some duct tape, I have never tried the around the pole trick...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
.... and a nice sandwich and some tea in a thermos, in case you need to repair yourself Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor, yes I have retrieved it off the pole - over a year since it was first placed there.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gaffer tape is all you need.... good enough for the A team! Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Leatherman with full allen key/screwdriver bit set. Roll of gaffer.

Er, that's it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jbob, I have retrieved the tape at room temperature only, no on some icy slope. I don't foresee a problem - something to check this season. My tape is rolled just below the pole handle. But I have seen another skier roll his half-way down, thus providing a crude grip for use on the uphill side when traversing a steep slope.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
First Aid kit for me, Gaffer Tape for everything else. Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles wrote:

Quote:

You change your boots' cant on the slopes? Shocked

Not normally, but I have a pair of Garmont megarides, which are apparently prone to the canting allen bolt working loose, mine never has though, but I still take the little allen key thing with me. Little Angel

[quote="MarjMJ"]

Quote:

Sometimes gaffer tape needs a helping hand especially with a broken crampon, binding or boot repair, and yes I have had to repair other peoples broken crampons and bindings on multi day ski tours and mountain days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="mark handford"]
MarjMJ wrote:

Quote:

Sometimes gaffer tape needs a helping hand especially with a broken crampon, binding or boot repair, and yes I have had to repair other peoples broken crampons and bindings on multi day ski tours and mountain days.

Wouldn't a 2m length of 3mm dynema or similar rope be more use - easy to tie things on with for sure...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If I ever go ski-touring (hah!) I will take mark handford

David
snow report
bertie bassett, Yes I d do pack accessory cord as well, its what I use as a belt on my trousers snowHead
latest report
Fold away spade.

Powder tails

Plasters.

Mobile/two radio
ski holidays
parlor wrote:
achilles, ever tried to get it off your ski pole? (If you ski enough, you can't, maybe if you renew it every week).

i was wondering about that, a SCGB rep who was a bit of a know it all gave me that "tip" but the guide we were with didnt do it so i was a bit suspicious. he kept a bit in his pack...
ski holidays
mark handford wrote:

Hmmm . . . a fully indentured member of the assassins guild?

Must make skiing a bit tame by comparison . . . do you take commissions? Twisted Evil
latest report
Masque, past lives,can't comment Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
mark handford, I think you were more of boy scout than I was a girl guide - the Snowheads reckoned I carried a lot, but it doesn't come close to your list Shocked
snow conditions
Megamum, Hahaha, but it does all pack into a small case the size of a tomtom Smile
snow report
Megamum, But was the defibrillator actually necessary? Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy