Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's it like to live in the alps?

Poster: A snowHead
@alyefs, as long as you can keep yourself out of France enough days a year, register in the UK. French admin and corporate structures are beyond Hammer House of Horror Horrific. You could maybe even consider incorporating on e.g. the Isle of Man.

Incorporating in Switzerland costs chf 2,500-4,000 for a basic ltd company. You can set yourself up as a sole trader (more or less) but you'd need to be resident in CH
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@alyefs, friend lives in France, and her main business is stil registered in the UK. She has a side line from that which is a French company, and her hubby's business is French, so sorts SS that way.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alyefs wrote:
. I understand I'll need to be paying tax and SS of some description in France. Unless we stick to the Swiss side too, after all they're French speaking that side of the border anyway.

Yikes!

IT contacts are great for me too??!!

Where are you planning on working? If your Ltd Co is in the UK and you commute to the UK then you will be classed as a frontalier and there are various benefits to that but you need to speak to an accountant. Under EU law you could pay tax and NI in the UK on your basic PAYE earnings and still be a French resident and covered in France under the EU treaty that says you only have to pay NI in one country but you really want to seek professional advice before setting anything up.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@davidof, the payment of NI in one country is better from a French point of view than it was but still can cause confusion and pain when dealing with RSI/URSSAF.

TBH, unless you are economically situated in France, I'd steer well clear of getting on the books there if at all possible.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@alyefs, I do the whole winter season out here in Serre and a couple of months in the Summer, and maybe (though have not done it a couple of weeks in the autumn).

In France I work with my clients (website dev & management) just as if I was in the UK, ironically my biggest client moved from the UK to the SW France.

Aside from the web we also have a small property portfolio which I manage, though there have been a few times when maybe I should have gone back to the UK rather than let things escalate.

We are fortunate in that we bought where we live here in France and still keep the all important foot hold in the UK (which I would like to downsize but family does not want to).

Here in Serre there are many Geezonaires, most like us have small property portfolios and live off the rental income, but like many they are asset rich and cash poor, hence you don't see loads of Range Rovers etc, but they are here enjoying the lifestyle.

Though has to be said most being Geezonaires are well into their 50's / 60's and are able to get by.

I'm not too sure twenty five years ago* I would have had the balls to upsticks and come out here chasing the dream?

*huge f'ing responsibilities
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, titter
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got a £3k Jeep and loving my standard of living Very Happy
It's not all about money...........
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@KenX, Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Samerberg Sue, actually missed this note! Thanks Sue....yes indeed I imagine we will have a ball. I have a great network of French friends still...though they're placed all over the globe! Still, we connect via messaging and Skype etc which means my French improves more and more....both written and verbal. I learned French (properly!) over 20 years ago...when I met a French man who spoke little or no English. We married. I spoke French to him...he spoke French to me except when annebriated! We divorced, and I continued my love affair with France and the language Smile
It's the lifestyle, the people, the mountains and lakes I adore... The work I do means I can literally work whilst sitting on a ski lift, on the ferry, in the airport and even the beach. Anywhere I can use mobile data or pick up wifi.
Someone actually asked where my place of work is...truth is....it's anywhere I like.

I'll be keeping my virtual office in the UK and am renting out my house. My Dad and brother are still here so many addresses both business and personal to choose from.
With regard to renting a property...and registering a vehicle in France, I guess I'll need something to show for my ability to be a contributing citizen. One would assume?

@gvj, is it ok if I message you?

@Weathercam, Who was that French web design co?! I work closely (collaboration) with a number of web companies here. In fact they're my best B2B customers! They do the websites, I do the PR and social media with an element of SEO in there too. I'd imagine I'd be a bit of an asset being a French speaker, set to work digitally, remotely and most of all freelance!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alyefs wrote:

With regard to renting a property...and registering a vehicle in France, I guess I'll need something to show for my ability to be a contributing citizen. One would assume?

To rent a property, not really so much as you'd imagine I don't think (not having done it). My perception is that there'll be a few months upfront as deposit and then rent monthly in advance. As far as we understand it, (as we let short term) you either have long term or short term contracts and if it's a short term one you have to move out so that the lease doesn't go over 12 months (as that then becomes a long term let which is pretty dreadful for the landlord if anything goes wrong).

Re-registering your car is not as technically necessary as some gendarmes would suggest. I don't think you need to re register an EU vehicle.

Likewise you don't need to switch from UK to French driving licence. Be aware however if you happen to have run up points on your UK licence in France and do switch licences they'll award you your hard won points and charge you the fines you didn't pay...

But if you mean buying a car and registering it? I think you'd just need your rental contract plus ID.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
if the intention was to live there mostly permanently, then I'd seriously consider selling car and acquire LHD one when there. faff of a UK car, re-registration, probably swapping lights and stuff over to pass test, insurance, steering wheel on the wrong side at toll booths and carpark ticket barriers etc. is a pain.
but when back in the UK, I always take M6 toll, for example since the passenger will be generous and offer to pay Wink

if the intention was just a 6 month thing then I wouldn't reregister even if the rules stated 3 months.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name,

I have a VW T4 camper over here and a small Honda Jazz as the daily drive. I think we'd sell the Honda and keep the van (more value to us for many reasons...mostly the freedom weekends) and would need to insure in France. I'd assumed that to insure it would need to be registered in France? Actually, thinking about it just needs a home address.
Thanks for the info re rent. Again, the rent of our own property will help significantly with rent there. Though I'm well aware that our choice of location will be largely dictated by income. We love Annecy.....and we need to be not too far from Geneva so my son's can pop on a plane when he needs to.

I know of Le Bon Coin for rental property...and VivaStreet is pretty good too. We would be prepared to move slightly out Annecy provided we could reach a decent primary school and of course secondary for the following year.

Ultimately, we need to be close to business connections, connections, airport, skiing and the lakes. I'm a single parent...so back up is important!

Great (and sensible) help here....Thankyou!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@andy, we are considering at least a 12 month. Not a holiday or seasonal thing. This is a lifestyle change.
Tolls are easy...does anyone actually pay manually now? With pre paid toll tokens you just drive straight through. The VW is an asset....and our preferred vehicle. Won't be bringing the car. That's a waste of resources.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@alyefs, you can easily insure a UK registered car. No idea of relative prices.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, good news, Thankyou Very Happy
snow report
alyefs wrote:
The VW is an asset....and our preferred vehicle.

You are going to be really popular on the road up to La Clusaz.
snow conditions
@alyefs, I say that but my info may be out of date. Can't imagine why though.
ski holidays
@rjs, it's a T4 1.9 TDi. I imagine we will indeed be more 'popular' than many
latest report
@davidof, I'm a sole trader David...can work from anywhere. It's all completely digital. No office base and have a virtual office in the UK. No employees, but collaborations with a number of web companies. Have spent a couple years building it up so I can finally do as I please....within reason! Of course with my son being my priority our feet will need to be planted somewhere. Only loosely mind Wink
latest report
alyefs wrote:

Renting a property is a bit of a faff in France, you'll need tax returns and wage slips for the last 3 years to show that you earn at least 3 time the monthly rental.....
I had to show my last 3 years accounts (I was self-employed) and still they weren't happy, so I ended up paying the whole year in advance!

If you're staying permanently for more than 6 months you need (in theory) to register your car in France, this means a Controle Technique test (Mot) for which you'll have to swap headlamps and you most likely will have to apply for a Certificate of Conformity for your car which comes at a cost from the vehicle manufacturer, then you can apply for the Carte Gris (log book) I'm just going through this at the moment as I bought a cheap Italian registered Jeep, I've got the CT, got a provisional French log book and am just waiting for the seller to get me the CoC then off to the Prefecture in Gap for the Carte Gris, phew!
snow conditions
Quote:

Renting a property is a bit of a faff in France, you'll need tax returns and wage slips for the last 3 years to show that you earn at least 3 time the monthly rental.....

I suspect there's a little bit of personal variation in there but then everything administrative is a faff in France rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

I had to show my last 3 years accounts (I was self-employed) and still they weren't happy, so I ended up paying the whole year in advance!

Mmmm....no idea what or where you were renting, but I've never come across all that malarkey before. Depends very much which agency you're dealing with. I won't worry about all that too much really, I'm continuing my BNI membership once I reach our next home. Have already put the wheels in motion there so rent certainly won't be an issue. I'd be reluctant to sell the Dub....but if it meant an easier life and less hassle then I'd do that and simply buy another over there.
latest report
Quote:

I suspect there's a little bit of personal variation in there but then everything administrative is a faff in France

Indeed....I don't think it's France specific either. Admin is a faff. Full stop.
snow report
This was the requirement with 2 different agencies in Briancon, don't know how it is in the rest of France
snow report
@KenX, oh, I don't doubt you.

A friend who is an engineer in the French Army (better job security does not exist) looking to rent a nice but modest 2bed apartment in a not particularly sought after area (no, not Calais) was (as the rent was a little over the normal multiple) turned down as a "bad risk" until his father guaranteed the contract against the family home Shocked

But Sis in Law got an 11 month rent from a friend of a friend on 3 months deposit and a handshake.
ski holidays
@KenX, maybe because it's in a resort perhaps. Ill have a chat with a few people who rent out. It's unlikely I'll go through agency (if I can avoid it) I know of a few poeple who've gone out with precision little. No job...no wage slips...got jobs...got homes. The more I hear about these things the more I think I'll need to rely on existing realtions to help ease the process!
latest report
@alyefs, French agencies are to be avoided if at all possible Happy
snow report
It's the agencies covering their @sses, I could have got a private rental no problem, but all the living space was upstairs and I was concerned my 4 dogs were going base over apex and down the vets so I had to pass on that one......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@alyefs, French agencies are to be avoided if at all possible Happy

I know, but there was a choice of 2 properties in the area and I was on a very short timescale with completion dates and removals booked...
Having said that, we're well pleased with the house we've got for 12 months and can't wait to get the keys for the new place and start working on it Very Happy
snow report
@KenX, well. Cool!
ski holidays
@KenX, ooo I'd love an upside down house. You're quite right though...4 dogs in there too! Yikes. It sounds like your requirements were probably greater than ours. In the most positive sense. There's only myself and my 9 year old. Am not planning to book removals...not until we are settled. We might find that after a year we can't make it home. I know I will, but I've to consider my boy's needs too. So in the initial phase it'll be simply a base...get our footings...get used to life there and continue to build business. We will then see what happens after all that....
ski holidays
Great wink
snow conditions
@SnowRetreat, now where did you spring from! Lol Cool
snow conditions
alyefs wrote:
@davidof, I'm a sole trader David...can work from anywhere. It's all completely digital. No office base and have a virtual office in the UK. No employees, but collaborations with a number of web companies. Have spent a couple years building it up so I can finally do as I please....within reason! Of course with my son being my priority our feet will need to be planted somewhere. Only loosely mind Wink

In that case legally if you are resident in France and working in France you will be taxed in France. Of course lots of people don't do this and continue to run everything via the UK or other tax regime. There are a few things coming down the line that may make that a lot more difficult.
snow conditions
alyefs wrote:
Quote:

Mmmm....no idea what or where you were renting, .

That's pretty standard procedure for France.
snow conditions
@davidof, so it seems....private rent it is.
snow report
alyefs wrote:
@davidof, so it seems....private rent it is.

good idea, did you have some leads yet? PaP used to be good for privates (pap.fr)
snow report
@davidof, many thanks for that....have had a look, there's 1 or 2... Far more on VivaStreet and Le Bon Coin. We don't need it til next summer. The idea is to wait til school year has finished and then move across over the summer. So there'll be an overlap between renting there and renting out our place in the UK. Reckon I'll be able to get a French bank account set up with a virtual office or a C/O address. We've a number of friends over there so will be asking for help nearer the time. Business connections and an address should really help...

Are you in the mountains or elsewhere?
snow report
Alot of people use Bon Coin as the agents often aren`t up to annual rentals. I rented directly from the owner - showed them a swiss payslip and work contract and the keys were handed over - they were very focused on 3 x salary rule. We also have a 3 year lease which suits us.

Bank account very easy to set up - walked in with ID and UK proof of address and they sorted it out (CIC). I pay Swiss tax but French healthcare - as I am a Frontalier (border worker) and had the choice. Be prepared to fill in a small mountain of paperwork for every single thing you want to achieve- but things happen relatively quickly if you have all the forms.
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, that all sounds manageable to me. I'm a firm believer in simplifying over complicating. There's ALWAYS a solution and nothing is insurmountable. I'm looking at rent for around the €850 mark and should be fine with 3 times income. I'd be worried if I couldn't manage to find that, especially with a child to consider. At the moment we're looking at St Jorioz or even Annecy itself... St Jorioz is a little less urban and is only 15 mins to Annecy. Reigning fav for the moment. Under an hour to a ski station and right on the lake. Perfik. I've friends and biz contacts who'll help with banks etc. doesn't sounds too complex and am prepared for the paperwork. That's inevitable!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy