Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarder in big trouble in Tignes - Lucky to Survive

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1129979/Pictured-The-moment-British-snowboarder-man-avalanche.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In the words of Monthy Python

You Lucky LUCKY Bastward
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And a photographer was there just for the perfect pictures!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=48480&highlight= wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like the skiers are getting all high-and-mighty about boarders doing stupid things on the other thread. I do forget about the 60 blokes lining up on a Saturday morning to go down the Hannenkahm at 80mph... not stupid at all!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
WHAT A BUNCH OF ladies' front bottoms !

Makes me embarrased to be English and a Snowboarder. The amount of snow that fell that weekend there was no need to go off piste, especially if they didnt know the area
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DebbiDoesSnow, I thought you were taking about the skiers on the other thread Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops, to be honest, it could apply to any KNOB that goes off piste without a guide, equip etc...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wh a lot f pople don't realise is hop different an area can look from above... when scoping out a line you really need to have identifiable landmarks memorised.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DebbiDoesSnow, not quite back country maybe, but certainly reckless, but let those without sin feel free to start lobbing the stones wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarpa, totally agree, even when I see a bit of 'side of piste' I may have a good look at it over a few days from the chairlift and from the piste and count pylons to locate where rocks are etc. Silly boys
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brilliant photos
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Am in Tignes at the mo - we keep hearing 7 people died here on Monday but can't find out any info - maybe they are exaggerated reports of these lucky guys rescue!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, Blush I am an angel when it comes to the mountain
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DebbiDoesSnow, do you have any avvy gear? i do not and it is something I should think about Little Angel
snow conditions
rayscoops, no, hence the reason I act responsibly and stay on piste. If I feel that I am ready to go off piste I will invest in a course, a guide & the relevant gear.

Simple clear rules that even the thickest boarder should find easy to follow.
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, have you never dabbled off piste?, side of piste? I must admit that I have Shocked
snow conditions
rayscoops, of course I have gone to the side of the piste, but that is a huge difference to going 'off piste' & out of the sight of the actual piste & its markers. I am very aware of ALL the risks and will not do anything to jeopodise my or anyones life by setting off an avalanche, leading someone over a cliff edge etc... call me boring, but hurtling down the mountain at full speed, popping the odd air is fun enough. Cool
snow conditions
something I've learnt is you can never underestimate the stupidity of some people who only get a week holiday on the snow. They wont wait for the avvy risk to drop or will ignore advice from people who live there.

Big drop though Laughing
latest report
stab, and he landed it wink
latest report
Quote:

something I've learnt is you can never underestimate the stupidity of some people who only get a week holiday on the snow. They wont wait for the avvy risk to drop or will ignore advice from people who live there.

Have to agree with stab. Too many people venture into risk sports without any local knowledge or advice and are determined to get their monies worth out of their holiday regardless Sad

www.flying-planet.co.uk
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Scarpa, totally agree, even when I see a bit of 'side of piste' I may have a good look at it over a few days from the chairlift and from the piste and count pylons to locate where rocks are etc. Silly boys

If you scope out a run for a few days would there actually be any untracked powder left when you decide to ride it? Very Happy
snow conditions
Probably, not, but at least you would be alive
snow conditions
Peter Ross, i generally keep an eye out from the lift most of the time for some good lines and easy riding whilst it is tracked out, and hope that I can head off to that particular lift if it snows over night, but I take your point wink
snow report
Peter Ross wrote:
If you scope out a run for a few days would there actually be any untracked powder left when you decide to ride it? Very Happy

I don't think I've ever got up early enough to get to proper untracked offf-piste!! Smile I'm quite happy taking pleasure in ripping through all the churned up stuff - at least it's better than going down the same runs all the time Smile

In all seriousness, the two guys in the photo were proper divvies. I think because this is an isolated case that has been caught on camera, we (snowboarders) are a bit miffed because it now shows how easy it is to do something stupid and not be able to do anything about it.

I just got proper annoyed over in the other thread at the sanctimonious 'I'm a skier and would have been able to side step out' comments that a few people made. They were silly boys who'll no doubt feel very embarrassed (and grateful) at the lengths people went to to help them out.
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, my view of off piste is it's off piste. whether you're just off the piste and within sight of the markers or not. i'm not saying i don't go off piste, i do, as much as possible - but i admit it and accept responsibility for my decisions.

some food for thought.

the shot is not mine, but note how close to the piste the slide is and how tracked it is above the slide. Shocked

edit: debbie - it's not a personal shot or anything, just a safety thing.
ski holidays
rogg, no worries, not offened at all ! I get right peed off when people mess around outside what is marked as ok.
And anyways I am more likely to hit the piste markers rather than go outside them Embarassed

Specialman, rayscoops, take note of the picture, your the more likley offenders off this anyway wink
snow conditions
rogg, I remember seeing that photo a while ago on here; there was a thought that it may have been deliberately triggered, probably because it was unsafe. Not even the snowheads collective memory could recall any details of a slide of that nature.

Looks a bit like a black piste and maybe 30 degrees?, and something I would be careful about. Maybe Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rogg, I bookmarked that when it first appeared, it was such a powerful image to underline the just-a-little-bit-off-the-piste argument. Shocked
snow conditions
well it stuck in my mind that's for sure.
snow conditions
rogg, you certainly would not want to get caught in that, but if you are going to get caught, with or without avvy gear, then maybe next to the piste is the place to be ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy