Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season in Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Just joined the forum and I was hoping I could get some advice. My girlfriend and I are taking a career break and have decided to head to Whistler on the 1st Jan for 4 months in the snow. We are more or less beginners/novice skiers (a few trips to Vermont and Up State New York, and a week holiday last year in Steamboat for me). We need to buy all our gear for the season and I would really appreciate any advice. I hope I don't sound too much of a labeller below but most of my research has been restricted to internet. We currently live in St Lucia so TK MAXX/Lidl etc is not an option.

As we are staying for the season and intend doing as much skiing as possible should we shell out for good equipment?

Jacket:

I bought an Arcetryx jacket last year for steamboat (which has a softshell front and Hardshell on the shoulders, sorry I dont know the name of the jacket), I really like it but it does let in the rain when it gets soaked and from what I hear that is a big consideration for Whistler. I really liked the athletic fit and style of the Arcteryx jacket and would not mind getting a hardshell (should it be needed) from their line, I also really liked the Hogstaf and Mammut jackets. I figure if I am going to wear it for the whole season I should get something I really like (without breaking the bank completely). Any advice on nice jackets, whether I need a hardshell and where I should buy, online (remembering there are not any ski shops close to me for a thousand miles or so to rty on sizes etc) or wait till I get to Vancouver/Whistler? My grilfriend also needs to get full kit and she also likes the Arcteryx range. How much will they set us back?

Trousers:

The ski trousers I bought last year got torn on the last day of skiing and although I could tape them I probably best of getting a new pair. Is a bib or ski trousers more appropraite for Whistler? What is a good pair and what would they cost?

Mid layers:

Any advice on a good mid layer fleeces?

Under layer:

I have read a lot about Merino wool and I like the Icebreaker stuff. Should I wait until I get to Canada or buy online? Is Icebreaker worth the cost?

Skis and boots:

As we are going to be in Whistler for 4 months renting is not an option.
Should we go all out and just go to a bootfitter (in Whistler) and get boots fitted (is this very expensive?) or should we just buy a pair?
What skiis should we get? We want something which suits Novices but which give us the chance to advance up and around the mountain and as we hope to be decent enough skiers by the end of the season that our skis are not be holding us back. Where should we buy these?

I really appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Brian
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You are probably best off waiting until you arrive in Canada before buying too much gear. I worked in North America for a season and had a lot of general gear that I bought before I went but had to leave behind at the end of the season because I picked up more appropriate gear when I was out there. The main problem will be the cold and the best people to ask for advice on the best gear to cope with it are the locals. It depends what work you are doing but you also sometimes get "resort workers" discount which will mean you won't pay over the odds if you wait - not sure if Whistler does this but I'm sure someone on here will know. Alternatively buy the gear outside of the resort where it may be cheaper.

The best advice I can give on what to wear would be go for layers rather than big bulky items and stay away from cotton. Merino is quite good for insulation but personally i use it as a mid-layer rather than base layer. I prefer synthetic thermal for the base layer as it dries quicker and doesn't irritate. New trousers shouldn't set you back too much and again go for a synthetic base layer leggings so that you can still use the trousers in the warmer months at the end of the season.

Skis - I would definitely not buy at this stage. You will need beginner skis to start with but will soon be wanting to use more advanced skis so you should speak to the rental shops about a long rental that you can upgrade. The beginners skis though will be fine for the first month or so. Boots are a bit more tricky. The same applies and you will want to advance into a better boot fairly quickly but rental boots can be less comfortable. If you buy beginner boots you should again wait until you get to the resort and maybe you could ebay them once your done with them.

Have a good time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BG57, welcome to snowheads. I'm jealous, I'd love to do a season in Whistler. Or anywhere for that matter!
Buy boots. there are many places to buy boots

as for clothes, I assume you are flying in to Vancouver - go to Mountain Equipment Co-op in vancounver, they have an excellent range at good prices. I would echo the call to go for layers though
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Deffinately worth waiting until you get to Canada - I believe Arcteryx have a factory shop in Vancouver Confused If not there will be plenty of other retailers offering reasonable priced gear in Vancouver. If not Try Squamish on the way to Whistler, either of these will probably be cheaper than buying in resort.

Layers is the way to go and i would also go for merino baselayers, fleeces then a hardshell outer.

BG57, Most of all, enjoy Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jacket - arcteryx is awesome, I swear by them now that I own a few. there is a factory outlet in vancouver which you can visit, otherwise look on ebay. not cheap !! but well worth it. I am surprised to hear yours is letting water through, maybe bring it with you to outlet and see if they will do some sort of warranty job??

get something decent in village for around $400, probably cheaper, although you are sorta late for 'sales' as they are mostly done now.

Pants - Once again arcteryx is my choice, work a deal at the outlet. bib or pants, whatever, i use bib but its no real difference. i got bib for touring, but you probably wont be doing that

probably $200 will see you to a decent pair in village

I say try to get arcteryx gear from outlet for these prices or cheaper....

I own Arcteryx Stinger bib and jacket, one of the more expensive lines, but worth it IMO

Mid-layer - any fleece is a good fleece. have 2 , a thin one and a thicker one.

Base-layer - yup merino wool is my choice. you can get some deals on ebay. i have some generic merino wool thermals, and some icebreaker gear. icebreaker is better, but only just .ice breaker is much better in the mid-layer stuff, i use generic merino for base and ice breaker for a mid, or a fleece

Boots - THE MOST IMPORTANT gear to buy - buy here in Whistler, all the shops will 'fit' you for 'free'. Price of boot is all you pay. All shops will be happy to work with you during season to modify the boot as necessary to make to a great fit. prices from 400-900 depending on boot. my latest pair is from Fantanyk Co, and I have taken them in for mods about 5 times now - no charge. (my bad, bought boots too small, but they have been great helping to make the best of it) they tried to talk me into next half size up, but i was stubborn ..... Sad

Skis is a hard one - there are plenty for sale here, so i would say buy here, you will get a good deal, as to what to buy. its up to you, you really should try/demo some out if you can. do you have any skis at all ? There are demo tents on the mountains where you can demo for 'free' just need a credit card and id. no charge but need CC in case you dont bring them back. this way you can try out a big variety before you buy.....
don't be afraid to buy ex-rentals, they treat the rentals ski well here (in general) and you can get great deals on them.

hard to recommend a particular ski, because most people aren't truthful in how good a skier they are, and also the conditions here in whistler are way different to those in the east. you may be a great groomer ski in the east and love groomer skis, but out here you will be off-piste 90% of the time and want skis a LOT fatter than what you want to own back east.

probably aim for something around 80-85mm in the waist. fat enough for powder, but not so fat as to make them impossible to learn on or ski on-piste.
mmm i guess that also depends on your ability and size/weight......

i just re-read that you are beginner/novice, you might find 80 too fat still.... maybe pick up a pair of ex-rental rossignol b2's or even b1's each to start with, and think about buying a fatter pair as the season progresses....

I have a pair of ex-rental Salomon screams 181cm that you can have for $100 if you like. not the best ski for whistler, and only good for you if you are 6ft+

anyway, hope some of this helps you. hope we have an epic season again so you can see what life is supposed to be like Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowcovers & Fanatyk come with a good rep for boot fitting - some Whistler locals will probably give you names of who you should aim to get an appointment with. You can buy skis any shop in Whistler more or less including the Recycling centre if you're really needy or want some 8 year old race stock - best bet to pick up some ex rental fodder for <$200 to get you started then get something that suits you once you know how your skiing has developed (& prices will drop Feb onwards)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the advice.

Not planning on working while I am in Whistler (well we have budget and as long as I don't go over it I will not work), so Resort workers discount is not an option unless I can talk some round when I get there wink .

WBSR I am 5ft 10 1/2 (the 1/2 being very improtant to me) and 13 stone so unfortunately I may not be tall enough for your skis? I think it probably makes sense to pick some skis up in the recycling centre initially, so we can progress on the groomed slopes. When we get better we can try and pick up something else (as long as this approach is not too expensive). Is there any particular Arcetryx jackets and pants you would recommend?

Also just as an aside we are also looking at doing a ski camp while we are in Whistler. We want to try and use our time there to the utmost, improve as much as possible and meet a good group of people. We are not all that bothered with doing a ski instructor course. Can anybody recommend a good ski camp? We already have our accomodation sorted so it will need to be non-residential and if possible not too expensive.

Cheers,

Brian
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does WB still do the drop in lessons pass as an upgrade to the season passs - may be worth the investment over something like a Dave Murray or Extreemely Canadian as you can have instruction all season long?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
Does WB still do the drop in lessons pass as an upgrade to the season passs - may be worth the investment over something like a Dave Murray or Extreemely Canadian as you can have instruction all season long?

Not sure if they do it or not - it was/is called a Platinum pass. I did this for two seasons and was well worth the CA$4000. I did a Dave Murray Camp and 1 or 2 Extremely Canadian courses a week so definitely got my money worth pretty quickly (in beer and Nachos alone!)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are there for the season you will inevitably get rained on at some stage - I have an Arcteryx Sidewinder Jacket and Arcteryx Minuteman (I think) pants - both have stood the weather test well - including the 2005 Monsoon season. Saying that any 3 layer goretex jacket should be equally up to it, and I'm pondering a different make due to the lack of decent colour choice in Arcteryx ones (my jacket choosing criterie is perhaps becoming a little bit girly!).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stuart,

I suffer from the same predictement when it comes to buying ski gear or any gear to be honest (girliness). Obviously my main concern is comfort and reliability but if I am going to be wearing this gear everyday for the next 4 months so I want to get stuff I really like. To this end the coolest gear I have seen is Arcetryx (like the Athletic fit but it appears everybody has it), Hogstaf(not sure if you can get in US/CAN), Mammut and Norrona. Just wondering if you can pick this stuff up in Van/Whistler and do the other brands above have similar athletic fit to Arcetryx?

Cheers,

Brian
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arcteryx is definitely a clear fave in Whistle,r unsurprisingly as not only is it good gear, but the Arcteryx factory is or at least used to be in Vancouver, and there is an Arcteryx outlet centre there. I actually have found the variety in Whistler a little bit limited; loads of places carry brands like North Face, Columbia, Arcterx, Salomon, DNA (Decente North America), or Mountain Hardware, and there is a Helly Hansen shop but other than that possibly a bit more limited
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a new Arcteryx outlet in Whistler now, its part of 'The Escape Route' store in the IGA marketplace region. The factory outlet down in Vancouver should be your cheapest retail outlet for Arcteryx. or check out ebay, I have previously bought arcx gear off ebay and was happy with it.

You can buy all sorts of good gear here in Whistler, but you may end up paying a bit of a premium. If you know what you want, and find it for a good price elsewhere, buy it.
For Arcteryx, I have the Stinger bib and jacket, also recommend the Sidewinder series. The Stingray is nice for a soft shell, don't get anything with insulation in it. as it is generally quite warm here, and between a base layer,mid layer/fleece and a shell, that's enough.

There isn't really any 'resort workers' or 'locals' price at most places. that is more a euro thing. you can often get 10% off a price by asking, which is all a 'local' would get anyway (unless you know the owner/manager personally)

There is a place called the 'Whistler Clearance Center' they have cheap second hand / ex rental skis for sale on the cheap. you should be able to buy something to learn on there for 200 or so, then sell for 50-100 later in season when (if) you decide to upgrade. Also there is a WB outlet in Squamish worth checking out on the way through. My skis would be too long for you (they are 185cm long)

as for other brands of jackets, personally i wont look at other than arcteryx at the moment, but the North Face Free Thinker is a top notch gore-tex pro shell that I would buy.

as for ski lessons. Firstly, you should look into doing a 'volunteer' job for the mountain. it will give you a free season pass, AND staff get free lessons in the group lessons on Whistler mountain ( i am not 100% if volunteers get the same deal, but believe so)
otherwise if you go ahead and buy a season pass, then you have the option of 'add-ons' including lessons passes such as the 'platinum' which gives you unlimited lessons in all catergories including camps, but does not include private lessons for $4500 ... expensive eh....
or you can get the cheaper options which are : 'Summit' which gives you unlimited lessons with the groups on whistler (like staff pass) which costs $745
and 'Supergroup' which is the same, but the groups are limited to max of 3 people. (bookings are required a head of time, and you may be told no spaces due to booked out by holidaymakers) cost is $1775
plus stuff like lockers, car parks etc can all be bought,

check out this page to see all about the lessons and stuff

i think that answers all the questions
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy