Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche Snowboards

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
Been offered a second hand Avalanche snowboard - I don't have a specific model other than its a 155 freestyle board.
Have done a fair bit of googling and although i've worked out they're an american make, thats been around for ages - can't find any current website for them - (so maybe they've changed name or been bought) - but wondered if anyone knew of them.

Also any tips on what to look for on a second-hand board and what to avoid? Also - is £100 fair price for 2nd hand board?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Heard of them but never seen one. I couldn't find a website either! I think you would be unlucky to get a bad board these days. As you are a starter go for a board with a medium or soft flex as it will be better for learning the basics and mastering the board. Any freestyle board should do. Avoid freeride boards for now.

A few scratches on the base should not worry you as they can be treated. Avoid heavily chipped topsheets and in particular damaged edges as they are much harder to repair.

If the Avalanche board is in good nick and for £100 I would say go for it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't know about avalanche boards, but it seems like most of them are selling for $130 - $170 U.S. new on-line, so maybe you don't want to pay 100 pounds for a new one? Anyways, here are general things you should look for in a used board:

- Full wood core: unless you are getting something super-high end that has a bunch of honeycomb aluminum, go for full wood. If it is re-inforced by some barbon beams that is good too. Just make sure to avoid anything resembeling a cheap core, such as foam
- No wood showing: you should not be able to see wood anywhere
- Base in good condition: no major gouges or mis-shapeness. It's ok if the topsheet is scuffed up, but the base should be in very good condition
- Sidewall v cap: if it is a mid to low end board, you want it to be sidewall construction. low-end cap boards tend to have durability issues. Note that there are some very good cap boards out there (both ride and lib tech make great high-end cap boards), so this is not an absolute rule
- Edges/sidewall: any break in the edges/sidewall means the board is basically useless
- Sintered base: it can be very hard to tell, but it is much better to have a sintered base over an extruded base. Sintered bases are more durable, absorb wax better, and are faster. Extruded bases are easier to repair, but this is more than ofset by the fact that they are damaged more easily. One sign of a sintered base is that it will sometimes have thin, short lines running from tip to tail, almost as if it were a super tightly woven fabric
- Delaminating: if the layers of the board appear to be slightly coming apart at any edge, a.k.a. delaminating, do not buy it. the board will soon be garbage.

If you want a cheap used board, my personal suggestion is to go onto e-bay and find a slightly used gnu carbon highbeam.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cheers guys - just been on ebay and there's lots of options... so won't be making any quick decisions.
Thinking about it - £100 seems alot as I then have to buy bindings.
(There's a few things being sold by girls that seem to have only ever used their board/bindings/boots for one season!!!)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A good site for board reviews is here

http://www.snowboardreviews.com/Browse.php
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy