Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for advice, want to travel to Val Thorens but not sure what airport is best

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Thanks for reading

Any advice will be much appreciated..want to to travel to Val Thorens in early Jan. But have no travel yet, flights not booked. would like to know what is the best airport to fly to and transfers, at the moment its loooking very expensive to get to VT especially transfers.

Thanks for any advice
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nishnu, yes, transfers are expensive. It won't make a huge difference which airport you use - none of them is that convenient for the 3V. I think Chambery is the closest. Probably best to get the most convenient and cheapest flights from your local airport at home. But if there are a few of you then hiring a car is often the best way to travel. Have you booked accommodation? If you are trying to keep the costs down there'll be lots of options in early January.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In order of nearness give or take:

Chambery
Grenoble
Lyon
Geneva

Forget it...

Check which airlines fly from somewhere in the UK to one of those 4 with http://www.skyscanner.net/

I've never really found private transfers to cost in against car rental, provided you squeeze 5+kit into a Renault Clio (joke) but be prepared to factor in petrol, tolls (not a lot), snow chain rental on top of the base cost.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks, there are only 2 of us and the holiday was good value, about 500£ for accom HB, equipment, pass for 3V in VT. Only problem is travel and the transfers seem to be the difficult part.

But thanks for tips Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nishnu, January is usually very quiet. You will not beat the price of a last minute booking with a travel operator. They will sort out everything so why not relax for a month and then take your pick of the countless offers there will be.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nishnu,

An alternative is to get the Euro-Star from London to Moutiers/Salins/Brides Les Bains and then you can gat a bus from Moutiers station to Val Thorens. Bus times from Moutiers and from some of the airports can be found at http://www.altibus.com.

Have a good trip!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nishnu, that does seem like good value. I wouldn't wait to book your flights - they'll only get more expensive nearer the time. Is your holiday a Sat/Sat option? That makes flights more expensive but you'll have more choice of buses - they are much more frequent on Saturdays. Have you looked at buses? They're not cheap, but for two of you probably cheaper than hiring a car. Look at altibus.com as a starting point.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nishnu wrote:
thanks, there are only 2 of us and the holiday was good value, about 500£ for accom HB, equipment, pass for 3V in VT. Only problem is travel and the transfers seem to be the difficult part.

But thanks for tips Smile

Holiday autos will do you a renault clio 4 door diesel for 164 quid for a week 10th Jan to 17th Jan from Lyon St. Exopery. Add on 30 euro for tolls, say 40 euro for diesel. plus costs of a winter pack which I think is about 60 euro. so you're looking around £130 quid each - so see if you can get a transfer for less.

Damn I've ignored resort parking costs, but at a pinch once you've got skis and list pass you could dump it in Les menuires for the week, and then ski up / down to collect as required...

Of course with a hire car you can the book first flight out, last flight back so you extend your skiing to 8 days rather than 6 or 7, which helps to bring down your cost per day.

Enjoy the trip whatever you end up doing..
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As bertie bassett pointed out, Chambery is the closest airport. Your transfer fto Val thorens from Chambery will take around 2hours which is roughly half what it will take from Geneva. You can fly to Chambery with several low-cost carriers - Snowjet from Bristol, Manchester, Gatwick and Stansted, Jet 2 from Leeds Bradford, Newcastle and Manchester and Flybe from Birmingham and Southampton. If you do choose to fly into Chambery, you can find cheap transfers at www.flightstochambery.co.uk. It's a new site which is dedicated to getting you the best deals on Chambery to resort transfers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can go independently for a week in Jan 3rd for 305 euro each including 6 day lift pass .
Car hire is the best value for transfers. Grenoble and Lyon are best at 2hrs 20 or Geneva at 2hrs 35.
Flights are pretty cheap too.
Don't hold your breath for last minute deals as I was there last week and the Crystal rep told me that they were fully booked for January.
There will be some good deals for Xmas and new year as they've only sold 30ish rooms out of their allocation of 170.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the advice, booked our holiday now for the 3rd in VT, decided to pay extra and get flights and transfers sorted for us. Can't wait now, this month won't go quick enough!!

Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy