Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FAO Elizabeth B

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Elizabeth you replied to me on getting to Wengen and you suggested flying to Basel, have you done the trip this way? if so how long does it take to get from Basel to Wengen as i have checked flights there, we live in York so the nearest easyjet airport going to Basel is Liverpool the return flights for 2 of us were about £70 all in which is really cheap! I just want to look at the possibility of doing a DIY job that's if a decent hotel will give us a good deal, and if not at least we can rule that option out and go for a package. If you have done this train journey what's it like and is it easy enough to get connections? Thanks for all your help i really appreciate it.
Andy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did this last month, also travelled from Liverpool. You get a bus from the airport to the station (about 3 francs). It'll get you there in plenty of time to get the 16.00 train. Change at Bern for Interlaken, then Lauterbrunnen, arriving at Wengen at 6.59pm I think. Dead easy, all the connections are fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andyarmitage, check the train transfer return price. You may be best off buying the flat-rate transfer ticket, which gets you from any Swiss border point/airport to the resort and back. It's about £54, from memory.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
andyarmitage, I've done the journey twice, and am about to repeat it on Saturday.

The easyJet flight from Liverpool is timed to land at 14.50. You exit the Swiss side, and waiting outside the terminal is a bus (no 30 or no 50 - from memory - both terminate at the main SBB train station). They depart every 10 mins, and the journey takes 20 mins...they have a luggage trailer so that isn't a problem. The bus stop is opposite the train station from where you can get a train.

Trainwise, there are two routes that you can take:-
1) Via Bern. This is quicker, and 2 CHF cheaper. You can either (depending on times) get the 16.00, changing at Bern, Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen (arrive Wengen 18.59) or get the 17.00 (arrives an hour later!) which doesn't require a change at Bern.
2)Via Lucern. This is the more scenic route, and if you are travelling in daylight (depending on time of year!!) in either direction is well worth it. Lucern station opens up onto the lake, and the stretch from Lucern to Interlaken takes you across the Bruinig Pass (one of the Golden Pass train routes...sometimes has a panoramic coach - ie one with a glass roof).

Regarding connections, the Swiss Rail System runs like clockwork. The 16.00 from Basel arrives Bern 16.56 (platform 6) and the connection leaves for Interlaken 17.06 (platform 5). Likewise, at Interlaken you have 15 mins to get from platform 5 to platform 2A, and at Lauterbrunnen you have 5 mins to step off one train onto the next.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 4-01-05 21:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow thanks for all the information it sounds easy, now all i have to do is get a deal from the hotels, i don't know how hard this will be Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The return From Basle Airport to Wengen is about 140 CHf including bus ticket 2nd class the Transfer Ticket is £57 second class or £88 first class (kids under 15 wiyh parents accompanying them go free with this pass !) travel time approximately 3.5 hours change at Basle, possibly Bern, Interlaken Ost and Lauterbrunnen, some trains go from Basle to Interlaken Ost some require you to change at Bern, usually on an adjacent platform, the trains from Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen go normally from platform 2 but check which part of the train you need to be on as normally it splits half way to Lauterbrunnen the rear half going to Grindelwald.

It's slightly longer from Geneva or Zurich but you won't have to get on a bus as both those Airports have Stations in their basements, when lost in Switzerland just ask/ 95% of Swiss speak at least some english and will point you in the direction of the nearest station or information beureau where they normally speak excellent english.

When looking at station timetables look for the yellow ones, they are departure times and include platform numbers, white ones are arrival times, blue ones show the make up of certain trains i.e location of first and second class etc.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, I think on this trip that cost difference is marginal. Unfortunately SBB won't give a price for the whole journey, but Basel-Lauterbrunnen is CHF 119 (return) which works out at about £54....the transfer ticket is £57, but you have to buy in advance.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andyarmitage, Call the Alpenrose or email them say I suggested them to you and ask what they have available, they may of course be full but it might be worh a try, they have sometimes got slightly chaeper rooms in the Chalet Rossen (Annex) (where I stay) it just means you have to walk across the courtyard to the main hotel for meals
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks David i will do that
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Elizabeth B, add 6 or 7 francs for the coach at Basle and I think about 12-16 francs for Lauterbrunnen up to Wengen return
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf, thanks. I'm only going as far as Lauterbrunnen, and am returning via Geneva (they do a late night flight on a Sat...giving an extra day on the slopes). I also have a 1/2 fare card, so I know which works out cheaper for me wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B, in that case your option works out cheaper but for mere mortals who only go out once a year the transfer ticket (Available from the Swiss Tourist Office in London or via the web) is a better bet
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Once a year?? You mean that there are some poor souls who only get to go to Wengen once a year? Crying or Very sad

I never knew.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Elizabeth B, Some of us are committed to looking after our sick old mothers and can only escape to Wengen once a year by blackmailing our local health authority and social services into looking after them whilst we are away, mind you I'd still only go out there once a year even if I wasn't otherwise committed it would just be for about 350 days at a time wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy