Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go in France ????

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks - I know this type of post is quite common but I really need some advice for a resort ........... myself and the now wife have been skiing for the last few years, me a bit a longer ................. we did Andorra to death when it was and cheap and have now moved onto France for more refined skiing - have been to La Rosiere, Val D'Allos and Isola 2000 ............ what we are looking for this year is a more up market resort with a good lift system / lots of blues / reds / a good selection of restaurants / good apartments or even catered chalet at a push / within 2.5hrs of either Geneva or Grenoble.

Not asking for much ------ will be looking to go in mid March from Dublin !!!!

Any advice gladly taken !!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grand Massif.................and here;
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megeve
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serre Chevalier. PM me if you want more details.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Arc 1950.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Look to the bigger areas - Paradiski, Espace Killy, 3 Valleys, PdS....and then stick a pin in a map
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fraserpreston, these days, most French resorts have "good apartments" - if you look at the Erna Low website they have a good selection, as well as the more traditional rabbit hutches. Catered chalets are well worth a look too and come at all levels of the market, including ludicrously expensive. In some resorts, if you choose the right chalet, with a good chef, you will get a far better selection of food than if you went out to eat in the local restaurants every night.

Many French resorts, even if they have plenty of restaurants, all serve variations on the (dreaded after a while) "Savoyarde specialities". If you're looking for something more sophisticated - and more varied, if you plan to eat out every evening - Megeve is a very good, though not cheap, call. Skiing is ideal for intermediates and extremely scenic. The town centre is pedestrian free with some lovely old buildings and horse drawn taxis. Eating is as good, and as expensive, as you could possibly want though with plenty of choice at more reasonable prices too.

I wouldn't stick a pin in a map of the 3 Valleys or the PdS if choice of restaurants is a key criterion. But Courchevel 1850 does have just about everything, including immediate access to super range of red/blue skiing and some very fancy restaurants. Some good catered chalets, too. 1650 is cheaper, very good skiing and access, but choice of restos not so good.

An obvious contender is Chamonix but the spread out nature of the ski areas might be a disadvantage. I don't know Paradiski - obviously plenty of great skiing, but is the choice and variety (as opposed to sheer number) of restaurants there any better than in the resorts you've mentioned?

Another obvious one is Val D'Isere - as mentioned above. You either love it or hate it. I don't, personally, love it but plenty do. But I wouldn't stick a pin in the map in the Espace Killy, because Tignes might not suit you so well. In the Portes du Soleil, though it's a great ski area, is there anywhere with wider restaurant choice? I don't know. Mainly "SS" I think even in Morzine. Not pin-sticking territory; some of the smaller PdS centres are no more "refined" than the places you've already been.

If you were to stay in a good catered chalet, of course, the restaurant issue would fall away as you'd only need to go out one evening.

Are you definitely set on France? There must be places which answer your description well in Austria and Switzerland.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pam W thanks very much for the detailed response, I suppose my head is spinning the wife would like to have the choice of restaurants in the evenings as opposed to be served a dinner without choice and I can see her point ................... though I'd like to take away the pain and just ski / eat and have a few drinks ............. going to look at Courcheval and the web site you mentioned - many thanks again !
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fraserpreston, We've done a fair bit of hoking around this year and have settled on a ski in/out catered chalet in La Tania, Three Valleys. We were there last year as well and I couldn't find anywhere to better it in terms of quality, price and location. Good access to the three valley area and good value. Chalets in La Tania are all relatively new and tend to be fully en suite.

We are going in January and have flights, transfers and chalet sorted for well under £500. Transfers can be expensive if you are booking separately though especially if just the two of you.

We are travelling from Belfast and booked flights first (coz there isnt much availability) then waited on the bargains. Make direct contact with the chalet/owner operators and I think you can get a good deal. If you were happy with La Rosiere then you will be well pleased with La Tania. Three Valleys offers endless skiing - we got the full 3v pass last year but this year we are starting with the courchevel pass only and there is just so much.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

the wife would like to have the choice of restaurants in the evenings as opposed to be served a dinner without choice and I can see her point ...................

trouble is, in many places, you have a choice of restaurants OK but they all serve basically the same thing so it's only an illusion of choice. And if you don't like ridiculous amounts of cheese (raclettes, fondue, tartiflette, etc) or fairly basic steaks, pizzas, pasta, and salads - or do like the cheese based meals, but not every night for a week. I find that if I've had a "salade savoyarde" or a tartiflette for lunch I most definitely don't want any more cheese or ham the same day, thanks.

One alternative might be a good apartment in a place with the usual choice of meals but some shops where you can buy yourself nice meat, vegetables and "traiteur" prepared dishes to eat at home on some nights. That widens your choice quite a bit, even our small resort of Les Saisies has a superb butcher and two "traiteurs" as well as a good availability of fresh fruit and vegetables in addition to all the usual bewildering array of saucisson in all shapes and sizes etc. But I wouldn't suggest Les Saisies if you're looking for "refinement"; it's fairly rustic and very French. That's why we like it. wink

One other interesting place, very pleasant "real town" with a variety of skiing is La Clusaz - there are some folk here who know it well but I have no clue about the restaurants. Only ever stopped for a beer and a pizza.
You haven't mentioned your budget...... wink

High quality restaurants are pretty rare in smaller Alpine resorts in France. Within reach (by car) of us there are two, one in Hauteluce and one in Notre Dame de Bellecombe. But who wants to drive out on a dark snowy evening, then not be able to have a drink or five?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Monetier-les-Bains has a decent selection of restaurants, and not all are Savoyarde in style (we are in Provence after all) , although fondue is available if required, as is pizza, pasta, and some good local dishes
The Aquisana serves a really good selection of dishes without cheese or ham, with some Swedish influences) (the home-made gravlax is delicious) and the Hotel Alliey, despite no longer having a Michelin star (the chef has gone to Grenoble), http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/3194417/Serre-Chevalier-restaurants-and-nightlife.html has a review.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, Mmm. I like the idea of home-made gravlax.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fraserpreston wrote:
Pam W thanks very much for the detailed response, I suppose my head is spinning the wife would like to have the choice of restaurants in the evenings as opposed to be served a dinner without choice and I can see her point ................... though I'd like to take away the pain and just ski / eat and have a few drinks ............. going to look at Courcheval and the web site you mentioned - many thanks again !

If you ski pretty hard most days then a catered chalet is much more of a holiday than self-catering, and eating out is going to quickly add 60 euros or so to the bill each night, even with something simple like tartiflette (in an average resto in Tignes I recentlly paid euro. 23 for tartiflette, coke, coffee - no booze!). Sometimes if it's chucking down with snow then walking the couple of hundred yards to a resto can be a bit damp (but great in the morning!). By choosing a decent chalet with a good operator (possibly one of the smaller ones) you avoid you/your wife worrying about food/eating out, and it does give you other people to talk to, which can be useful on skiing holidays even if you're completely into each other!

Places like Megeve / Courchevel 1850 and similar you will pay a premium for! In terms of skiing then to my mind somewhere like 3v or Paradiski would be ideal, as they are relatively snow sure and have more than engough runs for months of skiing. Personally I'm not totally convinced by PDS as it seems to be a bit of a chore getting over to various bits and back again, but then the week we went we didn't have great visibility, so that didn't help.

Perhaps look at somewhere like St. Martin De Belleville in 3v or Courchevel 1650, or le praz as mentioned which are slighly satellite and poss a bit cheaper. St Martin in particular is very pretty (IMHO), and has my favourite ever alpine lunch resto just up from it!

Don't stress about too much - you'll have a great time wherever you end up!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, worth a drive to the Ferme de Victorine now and then though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As in the above of 3V resorts that are a bit cheaper, try La Tania too. Lots of apartments and choice of food from English type pub grub through to Michelin Star (and authentic delivery curry too!).
ski holidays
All - thanks very much for the advice / comments .............. all taken on board and being digested.
snow report
fraserpreston wrote:

I'm with Mrs Fraserpreston on this one.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, so much depends on the chalet - on the choice of restaurants - and on your budget. The best ski holiday food we've ever had was at a Le Ski chalet in 1650 and as a last minute booking it was super value. When folk went to the chalet my son cooked in last year he would ring them up the week before to discuss what kind of food they'd like, any special requirements, what fussy kids would like, etc. However, that did cost oodles of money. Frankly I'd get bored half way through the week eating out in most smallish French resorts, especially if I'd already had a lunch on the mountain, even if money was no object. I start craving vegetables after 3 days max! But then I enjoy cooking an evening meal myself, and I recognise that not everybody wants to do that on holiday.
latest report
pam w, I also like to cook, another reason I don't like chalets.
snow conditions
Quote:
I recentlly paid euro. 23 for tartiflette, coke, coffee - no booze!).

I can get a three course meal from the 'menu tentation' at the aforementioned Aquisana for 22€ , no drinks included, but if you are lucky he will ply you with several glasses of genepi at the end.
ski holidays
i think some of the comments above ignored you upmarket requirement. I would think that the two resorts that are perfectly suitable to your criteria are val d'isere and courchevel
latest report
snowforever,

Megeve a better choice than both if snow is good.
ski holidays
fraserpreston wrote:
All - thanks very much for the advice / comments .............. all taken on board and being digested.

Fraserpreaton

I would clarify what you mean by 'upmarket' as it may lead to confusion' - do you mean the sort of place where you only arrive by helo from the private jet and it's rammed wall to wall with 'jetset' and 50 euros for one drink or are you just looking for something a little more refined than the cheap and cheerful of andorra.
ski holidays
I was worried that the 3Vs would prove far too expensive for us. . . but not so. . . we managed to find lovely food, €12 for 2 courses in Courchevel 1650 village. Just avoid the mountain restaurants, and particularly the ones with Russian menus. There are plenty of reasonable Chalets in La Tania and even in 1650 & 1850 for that matter.
snow report
Quote:

worth a drive to the Ferme de Victorine now and then though.

Lizzard, absolutely, but we can ski there for lunch, and have a drink..... There's also a very nice and reasonable restaurant on the slopes in Flumet and the new caff in Crest Voland is also great, with a fire and very welcoming staff. In fact there are loads good places for lunch, on skis, but in the evening we can't even get into Les Saisies without a drive. We do get free "digestifs" in our local resto but the menu is very limited. But the Chateau Wilkinson serves some good dinners, even if the chef can get a bit gobby after too many gin and tonics. Or even without them, come to that. wink
ski holidays
I'd recommend La Tania for the 3 Valleys too. Stayed at the Le Montana Hotel twice. Perfect position and food not too bad for the French (much prefer Italian hence my comment).

Skiing to Val Thoren and back is just brilliant and the off piste possibilities are endless.

Peter
ski holidays
Quote:

trouble is, in many places, you have a choice of restaurants OK but they all serve basically the same thing so it's only an illusion of choice. And if you don't like ridiculous amounts of cheese (raclettes, fondue, tartiflette, etc) or fairly basic steaks, pizzas, pasta, and salads - or do like the cheese based meals, but not every night for a week.

Yes... Going green

I would agree about doing your own thing cooking wise if you can bear to do it. All those bizarre and interesting sausages to cook... Shocked

It is also nice to have a picnic at lunchtime, then have the compulsory raclette one night, and maybe a steak frites. I have been known to fall asleep over a plate of packet soup from exhaustion. snowHead snowHead

Not sure would say Serre Che was up market, would have put Courchevel and Megeve in those brackets.

The Hotel St Martin de Belleville in St Martin de Belleville [ rolling eyes ] at the bottom of the Val Thorens valley is pretty up market, posho, has lovely rooms, lovely beds, lovely staff and excellent restaurant. The skiing at that end of the 3V is pretty nice, as you asked for reds and blues, and if it is not snowy enough there, you can get to Meribel, Val T no probs. If money was no object I would go back there.

Here's the link. http://www.hotel-stmartin.com/
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, exactly, there are some really great options outside of 1850 and skiing is absolutely outstanding. Clearly beware on the mountain huts - last year I saw 109 euros for chicken and 9000 for a bottle of wine - nicht gut!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What I found difficult was that it was often impossible to tell, from the outside, the places where a coffee stop would cost a fortune, and where it was merely expensive. You certainly can't afford just to walk in anywhere and order a round of hot chocolates (well I certainly can't afford it).

The OP only said he was looking for a "more" upmarket resort - not the most upmarket in the country. There's quite a range between Isola 2000 and Courchevel 1850!
latest report
The OP only said he was looking for a "more" upmarket resort - not the most upmarket in the country. There's quite a range between Isola 2000 and Courchevel 1850![/quote]

Hi Folks as the orignal poster ............... yes to clarify looking for something a little more upmarket than Andorra and have sampled 3 french resorts, La Ros (liked it), Isloa 2000 (liked the skiing, food choice rubblish), Val D'Allos (lift system a little old) ............ not looking for helicopters / mad expensive coffee / hot chocolates etc .......

have enough to go on now and once again I thank you all for the time to comment.
snow conditions
Quote:

have enough to go on now

fraserpreston, that won't stop us going on for pages and pages, you know. wink Hope you find something good. snowHead
snow report
2Alpes has a good range of restaurants, though I wouldn't describe it as 'upmarket'.
snow report
fraserpreston, Got to be Morzine PDS. But then I am slightly biased, maybe a little, Ok a lot. Little Angel
Short transfer, great skiing, nice working town, not as pricey as some mentioned.
latest report
I have a desire to go to Megeve coming over me...
ski holidays
fraserpreston, as suggested earlier, have a look at the erna low website for arc1950 - upmarket, but not necesarily upscale prices. Well OK, more than the rabbit hutches, but nowhere near the value of the accomodation.
Yet.
Get it while you can, (before the Russians take over).

Is already full over the New Year and 1/2 term, and heading north of 85% across the season, so obviously doing something right.

(usual disclaimer: declared interest I am an owner there)

And Paradiski, as you can probably tell from the myriad threads, is quite popular amongst snowHead
snow report
La Tania has a Michelin starred restaurant.....

But I wouldn’t stay there on the basis of a self catering - but eating out trip - as there is only about two or three restaurants.

Tried to go catered though and you may be pleasantly surprised. don’t knock it til you tried it..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy