Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When to ski after heart attack?

Poster: A snowHead
youspurs1, glad you are still around Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, reality check. Shocked Shocked
youspurs1, I sincerely hope you have a swift and permanent recovery (well, not permanent, but you know what I mean wink )

Surely you could afford to cancel and go later? Were you going with friends or family - is that the problem?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was it Tottenham getting out of the bottom three that brought it on?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
By the way, youspurs1, I was praying that Tottenham would carry on losing so you wouldn't buy the industrial estate next door and demolish it to build a new stadium.
I am an artist (see my website). After losing my Hackney Wick studio (now demolished for the Olympics) and finding a severe shortage of studio space, I took out a lease on a building there in 2002 and spent a year designing and converting it with my own labour to make 9 large, high quality studios for artists (including, of course, one designed for my own needs). I had assumed there would be no big problem renewing the lease with "Workspace" when it runs out in early 2009, but now I have no idea how soon I will be forced out. I don't suppose you have any knowledge of when is the earliest Tottenham might build? They have yet to approach us, the tenants.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 26-11-08 15:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
youspurs1, OMG nice to hear you still up for the skiing hol though.
Id go for it after all you only live once, or in your case twice/three times. wink
Seriously though get the proffesionals advice ,you could still make the EOSB in April.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
youspurs1 wrote:
I had a heart attack on saturday morning.....

Best opening line of a post ever on snowHeads Cool. Glad you're still with us.

QMC or the City?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, City, thank heavens!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
City. That's my second home that is... Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
youspurs1, So sorry to hear of the heart attack but good to know that the treatment was swift and effective. Good luck with the rehab.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sloop wrote:
youspurs1, maybe Harry Redknapp could offer some advice - he seems to be an expert on rapid recovery Very Happy

Come On Youspurs Smile

ROFLMAO

youspurs1 bloody hell!! I really hope your recovery goes well - good luck and great attitude.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Next thread...

What Helmet for Recent Heart Attack Victim???

rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
red 27 wrote:
Next thread...

What Helmet for Recent Heart Attack Victim???

rolling eyes

Is sex so soon after such an event really that safe?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
youspurs1 wrote:
It was my first heart attack.

How many are you planning?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Top marks for attitude.....but I'd be wary of altitude.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
youspurs1, Hope you continue with your speedy recovery, best wishes snowHead
snow report
youspurs1, Shocked I guess you're very lucky in that you are now under close supervision whereas most of the rest of us are just heart attacks waiting to happen. In my time in the mountains I was at the scene of two heart attacks (both fatal) and I have heard of others. Tour operators have to deal with loads. The two I witnessed were both in apparently fit and healthy 40+ people, one a woman. I think with skiing you get the whole package... altitude, dehydration, exertion, some adrenalin-pumping moments, pointy-fingered table dancing, excess alcohol, flying and making love to beautiful women (delete where appropriate), so it's no wonder that some people conk out. Other factor must sometimes be the mad last-minute rush to "get fit" for the ski trip having done no exercise for the other 49 weeks in the year. I'm not a doctor (although I have perfected the bedside manner) but I think people of a certain age need to seriously think hard about the whole deal, get checked out properly and prepare properly.

Anyway, delighted you survived to tell the tale and hope to see you swelling the ranks at WHL.
latest report
snowball wrote:
. I don't suppose you have any knowledge of when is the earliest Tottenham might build? They have yet to approach us, the tenants.

Could be some time away yet. They are still getting public opinion and looking into cost etc. If you see the falling attendaces due to the high prices they are charging and the lack of money in peoples pockect, IMO they may even leave it for a few years.

Small world by the way, you work just across the road to me !!
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I agree with you.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
youspurs1, whereas most of the rest of us are just heart attacks waiting to happen. In my time in the mountains I was at the scene of two heart attacks (both fatal) and I have heard of others. Tour operators have to deal with loads. The two I witnessed were both in apparently fit and healthy 40+ people, one a woman.

Every year in St Anton there are quite a few Heart Attacks, it is at least double figures.
Anyone who has been in St Anton Old Underground Bar around period 1980 -2000 will remember "Russian" Mike (For the Vodkas he consumed). He had fatal on the Steisbachtal (Happy Valley) Shocked

Quite alot of Germans fallover as well resulting from driving straight from the office to the slopes without any rest.

My Doctor said never confuse "Fit" & "Healthy"

http://www.squashsite.co.uk/neil_desai.htm

http://www.squashsite.co.uk/alan_frame.htm

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 28-11-08 14:56; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
My Dad is 62 and had a serious heart attack in Feb 08 and last week we went to the Lakes walking and did 11.7 miles and 4000ft vertical including any big peaks around Scafell Pike etc..

He has been given a complete clean bill of health and can do any exercise that anyone who hasn't had a heart attack now.

For the first 3 months or so he was told he couldn't go above a certain heart rate when taking exercise and had to wear a monitor. He was very very fit before hand and at a recent VO2 test he showed up as fit as a 40 year would be expected. But if you were talking about him going skiing 2 months later then that would never have happened.

I'd say that end of JAN for what you explain is too early.

One thing I will say is that dont kid yourslef you are OK...you probable feel ok in comparison to how you did on Saturday but it will be a slow road to recovery and you'll get very tired easily.

Good luck though and hope you get better soon.
latest report
Quote:

it will be a slow road to recovery and you'll get very tired easily.

true. My OH and another neighbour who'd had a heart attack found that the rehab classes, as well as being good physically for them, were also good emotionally and morally - there was a good humour about the classes, thanks both to the patients themselves, most of whom had retained their sense of humour and the brilliant physios who ran them. It's good to be in the company of people in the same boat. snowHead
ski holidays
Many interventional cardiologists ski. Some are even members of snowheads. wink

Whoever did your angioplasty should be able to give you definitive advice. Heart attacks vary in size & shape but as others have pointed out the major determinant of an early return to skiing is degree of heart muscle damage & residual (untreated) coronary disease.

I'm guessing that a) as you've been discharged after four days there cannot be much heart muscle damage, and b) if no-one has mentioned need for future angioplasty you may have had a problem in only a single artery that I presume has now been treated.

Traditionally people recovering from heart attacks have been advised to avoid strenuous activity for at least 2 months and for those in heavy manual occupations three months off work has been the norm. Admittedly this traditional advice is starting to change with a trend to earlier discharge from hospital and more rapid return to activity. However unless the degree of heart muscle damage has been minimal, most cardiologists would advise a minimum of 2 months and possibly longer before considering returning to athletic activity. Also it would be sensible to undergo an exercise tolerance test before embarking on a programme of heavy physical activity.

End of January is pushing it. Not impossible if everything is favourable, but unlikely. Remember also that you may not be able to do as much physical exercise in the weeks before you go so you may not be as fit as usual. Also take into account the fears of relatives- you may feel fine, but your close family are unlikely to welcome the prospect of your taking to the slopes so soon.

All else being equal, if you must go skiing this year suggest targeting a trip in March or April.

Insurance: might be tricky. Suggest you contact the British Heart Foundation who should be able to supply a list of sympathetic insurers.
ski holidays
Someone above suggested the EOSB. That might be a good target. It's v important to have something to aim at. Partly because of diabetic complications my OH had a hard time with his bypass, and was in hospital around 3 weeks, struggling with lung function and the diabetic balance. Then, and at times afterwards, he was very weary of it all and discouraged. Before we discovered about the need for an operation (which we had to pay for ourselves by extending the mortgage, as the NHS waiting time was unacceptable given how ill he was) we had signed up to buy an apartment in the Alps. My financial caution led me to want to cancel our reservation, given the big extra and unbudgeted cost of the operation. He was desperate not to cancel, however, so we didn't and through the months that followed it gave him something to aim at - he had a picture of an Alpine meadow with flowers and cows by his bedside. When he really could scarcely be bothered with the sheer grind of rehab, the incentive of getting fit to ski again made all the difference.
ski holidays
I suspect you'll have a tough time trying to get anybody to ensure you.

I doubt you'd be advised to ski this season. The combination of strenuous exercise, altitude and recent infarct put you (I think) at a much higher risk of a recurrence. I have a colleague who is a GP in a French resort - He tells me he sees 2 or 3 Brits every year having 1st heart attacks due to the unaccustomed exertion & altitude; and he's in a low resort. I'll ask elsewhere what the advice is regarding skiiing post-MI and get back to you.

Glad to hear you're recovering from your CPR experience. It's not gentle medicine, is it?
snow conditions
Looking like it's a no go for this year. I have to be sensible (I've tried a few insurance companies just for normal holiday insurance and they all say no).
It's really disappointing, because it was going to be our first time skiing with the kids - but we'll take them next year instead.
al.p, yes - the damage was confined to one artery...some minor scarring on the others but nothing to worry about.
doctor_eeyore, thanks. I think you're right.

Oh well..part of my rehab is going to have to be repeated visits to a snowdome Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy