Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz or ValD'lsere

Poster: A snowHead
Puzzled
Hi,
I would like to have a ski vacation at France around mid January next year. I have never ski in Europe before. I am consider either Avoriaz or ValD'lsere. I had a few ski holidays before and both my partner and me are a bit better than beginner level.
1. Which of these resort is suitable for beginner?
2. What are the differences between these two resorts?
3. Will it be too quiet at Avoriaz?
4. Any other suggestions of resort are welcomed Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cm-student, Hi and welcome. Have skied both - Morzine for 2nd ever ski holiday (skied around Avoriaz most of time due to lack of snow around Morzine) and Val d'Isere for 3rd. Personally I would opt for Val d'Isere as the village is nice (in the main) and has a better buzz about the place.
1. Both would be suitable. Val used to have free tows for beginners - don't know if that is the case.
2. Avoriaz is butt ugly, Val is actually quite nice. Skiing better around Val in my opinion, as is the apres.
3. Possibly
4. My personal fave - Oberlech in Austria, but is quiet at night - but youcan always head along to St Anton for some thumping apres. Saalbach in Austria has some nice gradients of slopes and has some great apres
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cm-student, welcome to Snowheads. What, altogether, are you looking for in a ski holiday? And why have you hit on Avoriaz (very ugly, as said above, and not much atmosphere) or Val D'Isere (less ugly, but still far from charming, and the village can be a bit gloomy and sunless for much of the day in mid Jan).

The skiing round Avoriaz is maybe more varied, and you can ski to other villages for lunch, which is pleasant. Skiing back down to the village in Val D'Isere can be intimidating - fairly difficult pistes and often icy and rather crowded. Much of the attraction of the domain is for experienced off piste skiers but maybe for you (and me!) that's not such an advantage.

What sort of nightlife are you looking for, and what sort of accommodation? Are you set on France? There are some very charming and attractive French resorts but they are often fairly quiet. Austria might suit you better as suggested above.

Finally, what sort of budget have you got? That makes a difference.

You'll find people vary a lot in their assessment of the skiing. For example I'm fairly sure that not all snowheads would agree that the skiing at Val D,Isere is better than the Portes Du Soleil, where Avoriaz is. It depends what you're looking for. In good snow conditions I'd personally prefer the Portes du Soleil, though not Avoriaz in particular.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If it was your first week I'd suggest Val d'Isere given it has a nice learner chair bang smack in the middle of the resort in front of all the deck chairs. If you were a youngster rather than an adult, then Avoriaz beats that with a completely surrounded pair of drag lifts for first-timers.

However, as you are a "bit better than beginner", I'd say go for Avoriaz. The route down Proclou to Super Mozine is a great start to each day, then down to Lindarets and then the world's your oyster.

Val d'Isere is very busy and although I have been with beginners, and there are places to take them, the runs back into town can be hairy. There is a mid chair with an easy run back, but you'd get bored of this route after a while.

If you would enjoy the deep end and tons of other swimmers then I'd go to VdI. If you'd prefer pistes to be a little less frenetic and more leisurely I'd go for Avoriaz. It is not necessarily quiet at Avoriaz, but I find it quieter - certainly not 'too quiet' though.

VdI is a busy and vibrant chalet & hotel city compared to the self catering conurbation of Avoriaz (having a unique alpine aesthetic to some, but ugliness to others). Espace Killy and Portes du Soleil are peers in terms of skiable terrain (in peak season).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree that the runs down to Val d'Isere are difficult for beginners but it is easy to get the lifts down and lots of people do. There are lots of good rune for beginners all over the Espace Killy and I think it is a great place to learn, though not the cheapest.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think Val d'Isere is that good for novice/early intermediate skiers when compared to some other places, mainly because taking a lift back down to the village is something that I like to avoid if I possibly can.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cm-student,
Might not be the answer you want but if I was flying from Hong Kong I would go to somewhere in Switzerland, it is so much nicer and more relaxing to get a swiss train to your resort than any other method after a long journey. If yopu are doing other things on your travels and you are fixed on those two options I would probably choose Avoriaz as it is a bit more laid back for beginners IMO.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cm-student,
You do not have to stay in "Ugly " Avoriaz. You can stay in pretty Morzine, and just ski in Avoriaz, Les Gets, Les Crozets and all the other sectors. We would love to have you visit with us and we can show you round our area.
See the website below. Contact us to talk a deal.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cm-student, very rude of me I forgot to say welcome to snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DallyPaul, cheesy pimp... But is Morzine really 'pretty'? I guess compared with Avoriaz yes, but that's a bit like saying Hazel Blears is better looking than Jaquie Smith... spoo
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi there,

I was surprised so many helpful replies when I wake up. Thank you to all of you.

Actually, I picked Avoriaz and ValD because I saw some brochures of ski holiday. Also, my friend told me that ValD is a famous resort.

I’ll fly to London around mid January and plan to join a ski holiday at London. I’ll probably arrive on Sat morning and join a ski pack to Europe on Sunday. As most of the ski packs are Saturday-Saturday basis, my choice then being so limited. I am consider whether to join Club Med or Markwarner packs as they both offer ski packs on Sunday basis, though which is not inexpensive. Any others suggestion?

I forgot one thing, I ever been ski at Zell am See Austria 10 years ago. We just stayed there for 3 nights, the resort was nice but quiet. If I stay at Zell am See for a week , I will get bored as not much apres there. How about Avoriaz compare with Zell am See? Anyone can help to answer this odd question?

Thanks!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cm-student, Avoriaz is not that great for it's nightlife to be honest. Enough bars and stuff to keep you going but it's not somewhere one would go to party IMHO. I've always noticed the bars can be very hit or miss. Sometimes packed, othertimes dead. It's more of a family resort really and I wouldn't recommend it for all night raving (although I would concede I gave all that up a long time ago so maybe not teh best judge of things on that score!). Better to stay in Morzine as mentioned earlier I would say. Much nicer than Avoriaz and better bars!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cm-student, Both would be good choices. I can be biased as I have a connection to Avoriaz but, I can still be honest.

For partying Val D'Isere would be my choice.
For Skiing they are equaly as good.
For access to the Slopes and Airport Avoriaz wins.
For a Beginner Avoriaz has slopes in centre and is probably better.
For Charm Val D'Isere has more.

Dont worry about Ugly Avoriaz! It is like all purpose built resorts. It may have more of an impact on a beginner but not on a more experienced skier and am suprised many "good" skiers on here spend so much time looking at the resorts heart and not the mountains in front of them as they are skiing. For me once I am up on the mountain I am probably one or two valleys away from the ugly resort and cant see it. Come home in the evening have a beer and a bath head out for a quality meal, never a pizza although they do have them in Avoriaz and then home ready for the following day!

I would hasten to add that I dont go to the lower part of the town where the Swedish boarders hang out! At my age there is no chance of getting lucky!

In conclusion if you want to have a good party atmosphere I would go to Val D'Isere, you will have a ball. If you want easy skiing on your doorstep go to Avoriaz.

Have fun wherever you decide to go. I hope that I have come accross as balanced as I know both areas well and offering IMO honest opinions.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oops.

cm-student, Welcome to snowHead s
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cm-student, if you are set on the Portes Du Soleil then why not consider Les Gets instead of Avoriaz?
Granted, LG is at one end of the PDS but it has an extensive area of its own (and shares a lot of area with Morzine) and it's fairly easy get around the rest of the PDS from LG. Plus, Les Gets is sooo much more nicer than Morzine, although it doesn't have the same nightlife.

Plus you have Mont Chery in LG, which is worth the trip alone.... Smile

I'm in Val D'Isere at the end of next week for the first time so will report back on its party credentials Smile
ski holidays
cm-student, Simple answer if you're looking for some apres action - head to Austria.
snow report
boabski, This would also be my advice also, far better apres ski.

Specialman, Mont Chery is not suitable for a beginner! Though it is good and a well kept secret so dont broadcast it too much wink
latest report
cm-student, I don't think either Val D'Isere or Avoriaz is ideal for you. Val D'I may be "more charming" than Avoriaz but that still makes it "less charming" than a whole heap of other resorts. I think you should consider the advice above about Austria, if a combination of charm and party potential is important to you. Quite a lot of UK tour operators do Sunday/Sunday packages - some other Snowheads might be able to suggest which. In practice that'll be a key constraint for you.

Have you thought about type of accommodation? Will you be looking for a hotel, a Bed and Breakfast, a self catering apartment or a catered chalet. The last option might be good if you'd like to meet some other people - if you go to a biggish chalet there are sure to be some people at your ski level, and they often offer some ski guiding, which is a sociable way of getting to know the area a bit.
snow report
Personaly i would recomend avoriaz with short transfer great ski in ski out facilities, good snow, large area to ski and great for first timers.
At the end of the day if you want to party and have fun you might as well go ibiza but your looking for a skiing holiday so your best with avoriaz and i dont think the village is that bad. Confused
ski holidays
chelt881, here's a link to nightclub info: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/504ab/21879/5/
snow conditions
I would definatley recomend Val D'isere, I learnt to ski in val d'isere so it does have good beginner areas and excellent areas for everyone else. The ski area is generally much higher the avoriaz/portes du soleil meaning much more reliable snow. In January you won't have to queue for lifts as I used to go there at christmas /new year time which is the busiest time of the year and the only queue I ever found longer than a few minutes was the olympique gondola out of val at around 9:30. At 9 the queue is minimal and after 10am the queue is minimal. If you do go to val may i recomend the le fornet glacier as a great place to ski for some of the time. It is woefully undervisted due to the slight arwardness of getting there, so much so that at christmas week on a bluebird day my brother and I managed to get about two runs in up there without anyone else using the chair or the piste in that time. Being a glacier the snow is always wonderful and being underskied it never forms moguls. The runs there should be perfect for you as well being a nice mixture of wide blues and reds.
snow report
rambotion, Avoriaz is as reliable for snow as Val d'Isere during the season, but Espace Killy is far more snow sure than Portes du Soleil given the latter is more low lying. That's why Les Gets and Morzine aren't nearly as good as Avoriaz when it comes to snow depth.

I read in Daily Mail Ski magazine recently that Avoriaz was the top of the charts for total amount of snowfall compared to any other French alpine ski resort - and in the Alps only beaten by one or two Austrian resorts.
snow report
Quote:

I read in Daily Mail Ski magazine recently that Avoriaz was the top of the charts for total amount of snowfall compared to any other French alpine ski resort - and in the Alps only beaten by one or two Austrian resorts.

i read that to
snow conditions
Welome to snowHeads cm-student.

Both would be fine.

Personally (and I'm biased) Avoriaz has the edge for beginners. It has beginners' runs in the middle of the village and easy runs in all directions. Val d'Isere involves has some great skiing, but it's just not as convenient for beginners.

On the flip side, Val d'Isere has a nicer town centre and is (probably) nicer overall.

Avoriaz can hardly be described as "quiet".
snow report
PhillipStanton, I thought that it was very quiet! The only place that seems to have the decibels high is around the Scandinavian hangouts at the bottom of the town! IMO Val is one of the only places in France that can have a pretty hectic apres scene!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy