Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Repairs to ski bases?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got some nasty scrapes I want to fill in, I know a ski shop can do this, but is there something I can use at home that'll do the job, a hot melt gluegun perhaps?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
biskum, you can do it yourself. You will need some ptex candles and some specific files and scrapers, however you might knacker up your skis. Might be best to use the shop until somone can show you how to do it properly. Lots of info here www.skituning.co.uk/ from sh spyderjon.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
biskum, it isn't that difficult - but I wouldn't do it without someone (spyderjon) having shown me how. The other thing is not to be too obsessional about filling every minor scrape, only the big gouges.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
biskum, scrapes are battle scars. Be proud of them. If splinters are showing call 0800SPYDERJON and get on one of his courses. (or send him a PM as that number is not real)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you do decide on diy, a gluegun will not be hot enough to melt the ptex. Best to practice on an old pair 1st if you can.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
biskum, If you can see metal you will need to do a patch with alot of heet to keep it good.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Luckily I can't see metal, so it's a Ptex candle for me, also, I ski really badly, so I don't care if the base is super smooth cos the last thing I want to do is go fast Embarassed
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't get on well with ptex candles - much prefer pure ptex ribbon and melt it in with a blowtorch. Gives much better adhesion to the base.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ordhan, ptex won't stick to metal it's best to "weld" some metalgrip on first then ptex onto that.

biskum, how deep is it? unless it's over a couple of mm it's probably not worth bothering with and if it's under 1mm then it'll come out when you get a base grind. Exception to size issues is if it's along an edge when you'll need the metalgrip again and it's a good idea to fix those ones ASAP.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
biskum, I've done Syderjon's course, he showed us how the repairs were done and I must admit it didn't seem to difficult to do yourself with the right kit. Why don't you try his short course and take your skis along - you could mend them during the course this time and then get the kit from him to do a running repair yourself in the future should you need to?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
biskum, Can you see any base material in the gouge? Is it on the edge?

If not; Ptex candle, matches and stanley knife should get you sorted. Have a go, the worst thing that could happen is your repair falls out. dead easy really.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/38/34/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy