Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ladies piste skis - advice or reviews?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
uktrailmonster, Yes, I agree although I think I can get away with the 149 as it is quite a stiff ski and it travelled much faster and accurately than the long 154 lighter weight Volkls. I was really surprised how different the various skis felt as I was worried I wouldn't be able to pick up on the differences.

PS - this comment is from Curry-Queen on Mr C-Q's log-in!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
curry-queen, And, you've probably ended up with the Burnin Luv as it was shorter than the others. If the skis are flapping, you don't have your weight far enough forward.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cunners wrote:
uktrailmonster, Yes, I agree although I think I can get away with the 149 as it is quite a stiff ski and it travelled much faster and accurately than the long 154 lighter weight Volkls. I was really surprised how different the various skis felt as I was worried I wouldn't be able to pick up on the differences.

The only way to determine the optimum length for any specific ski model is to test it in the different lengths. The longer versions of the same ski will be stiffer in general (as they are designed for a heavier skier). This often makes more difference than the actual length change. As you have already noticed when comparing a shorter stiffer ski against a longer softer one.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
erica2004 wrote:
curry-queen, And, you've probably ended up with the Burnin Luv as it was shorter than the others. If the skis are flapping, you don't have your weight far enough forward.

From twanging them I can assure you that the reason the volkls were flappy is that they have the torsional and logitudinal rigidity of damp cardboard and indeed, appear to be made out of spit and paper. 154 volkls are are also only about 1cm longer than the 149 Burnin Luvs!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cunners wrote:
154 volkls are are also only about 1cm longer than the 149 Burnin Luvs!

I've noticed that different manufacturers are inconsistent in their length measurements. I guess some quote overall length (as you might expect) and others running length? I usually choose length based on the manufacturers recommendation for my weight/height. But as I'm 6'1" and 86 kg I always end up with the longest ones anyway. I also grew up on 200+ cm skis, so anything less than 190 cm feels short to me anyway.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cunners wrote:
154 volkls are are also only about 1cm longer than the 149 Burnin Luvs!

uktrailmonster wrote:

I've noticed that different manufacturers are inconsistent in their length measurements. I guess some quote overall length (as you might expect) and others running length?

I believe this year's Burnin Luvs are measured on overall length. Previous years' models have been measured on running length (this makes my 160s about the same height as me, at @167cm).
Actually, I think that 149 is a bit on the short side for the OP, but that's just me - I like my long skis!

(Edit to correct spelling! Also looks like I was wrong about the new season's skis... was told that by an EB chap, but didn't check for myself... Embarassed )

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 11-12-08 21:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cunners, Actually, the Burnin' Luv isn't a particularly stiff ski - quite soft in fact. The Volkl range tends to be stiffer and with good torsional rigidity, although I haven't tried the model mentioned. They are, however, quite an unforgiving ski - quite lively. I've always found the Burnin Luvs a bit dead.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From having the lot side by side in the shop, and for anyone who's interested...

The K2s quoted sizes are measured on running length (according to K2s FAQ) hence a 149 in real life comes out at around 153 tip-to-tail, whereas the volkl & dynastar quote overall length so 154 comes out at 154. Nothing like making it simple eh? rolling eyes

So a 156 burnin luv would come out slightly taller than the OP, and though I happen to think that's a good size for a ski (GB/GH Toofy Grin ) there is not a consensus.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In practice, if a ski is available in only 3 or 4 lengths, it's not that hard to determine which one to choose. If we take the K2 Burnin Luvs as an example, EB sell them in 3 lengths 149, 156 and 163. You can pretty much say that 149s will have been designed with a lightweight woman in mind (50kg), 156s for an average woman (60kg) and 163s for heavier than average or more aggressive experts. Of course you could decide from personal preference to choose a shorter or longer ski than recommended, but they are made in those lengths based on testing and feedback from lots of people. So if you're not sure and can't test the individual lengths, it's safest to go with the recommended length for your build.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well I think that if the K2 149s are similar in length to other makes of 154, then surely the K2 156 would be similar to other makes in a 161? As I am only 154.5 cm tall and not a terribly aggressive skier I think something equivalent to 161 would be a bit much for me as they would tower above my head. I seem to recall the first time I went skiing years ago on the old planks they were above head height.

Thanks for all your advice though. Maybe I'll go longer one day when I've learnt how to hammer down blacks and have skiied as long as you guys, but I have been used to skiing my current 145s and the K2s are certainly more than 4cm longer so I'm going in the right direction at least! Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
curry-queen, I think I stand corrected on the overall length/running length issue, then - I was told that they were going on overall length this season, but it looks like this was wrong...
And I quite agree that skis much taller than oneself would be a bit intimidating - mine are around the same height as me, & that's quite enough on piste (& it means you have to work that bit harder in moguls, I suspect! Well, that's my excuse... you can borrow it if you like Toofy Grin ).
Actually, I find my BLs quite stiff but also quite lively - if you really get going, you can sproing from turn to turn very happily (sorry if that's not a very technical description, or indeed a recognised term... Blush )
The main thing is, enjoy your new skis! If you like them, then they are right for you snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy