Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ladies piste skis - advice or reviews?

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking about upgrading my skis from some low intermediate all mountain Salomons (Salomon Jewel Crystal) to something a bit more piste based. My current skis are very easy to ski but they are soft and allow me to skid very easily. I think this is hampering my progress because however much I try, I can't really seem to carve a clean turn, which in turn is probably stopping me from speeding up.

I plan to demo some at Milton Keynes and am thinking along the lines of:

Dynastar Exclusive Fluid
K2 burnin luv (or any of the other luvs)
Volkl Aire
and anything else that EB have in stock that might be suitable.

Does anyone have any comments or reviews on any of these?

I would consider myself intermediate - 8 skiing holidays - not aggressive but gaining much more confidence and speed lately after getting new boots that aren't too big for me!

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
curry-queen, The Exclusive Fluids had a very good review in the SCGB magazine.

However, it could just be that spending the same amount of money on some top class lessons would do more for your carving. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
curry-queen, I had the same problem last year and I tried out the burnin luvs and thought they really held their edge. Liked them a lot and it sounds like we are of a similar standard. I bought fischer rx8's instead but then I am ...eh, a little chunky Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Pam. I do tend to go for a couple of private lessons nowadays rather than ski school. I also attended the Warren Smith afternoon at MK recently and got on really well and so feel I now have the confidence to tackle a more advanced ski. I have no idea whether they will feel any different than what I've got already though. I've read various ski reviews on this site and it seems that there can be a lot of difference between how different skis feel so you never know!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Of what EB have on their web site, I would think the Scott Maya would be worth a look.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ickabodblue, Well I'm not exactly a size 8 myself! Did you choose your ski length based on height or weight? I am only 5'1" and so currently have a 146 ski but the catalogues tell you to go longer if you are heavier and my weight range suggests 150 - 155 but that would seem quite long and probably be at least forehead height.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.theskidiva.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
curry-queen, I messed about with length at the snowheads demo and eventually settled on 160's, I'm 5'6". I tried longer and shorter but they just felt right.
The demo was great because to a certain extent I think skis are a very personal thing, I went along with a friend who is also the same standard as me and we liked completely different skis.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all. The only thing is that EB only have specific sizes available for demo which might be a bit long for me. Shame I missed the snowheads demo night.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Try the Volkls - mine are lively with excellent edge hold and inspire speed and confidence. However, they insist on good technique, so you will step up a gear. Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
erica2004, thanks - which model do you have? There are two in the EB catalogue - the Aire and the Agua. I think the Agua might be more of an all mountain ski.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
curry-queen, I have the Attiva Arena, but I don't see them on the EB website. S&R had them on sale at the Olympia ski show for half what I paid.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
curry-queen, if you are looking for a Volkl ski that is akin to the Burnin Luv and Dynastar Exclusive Fluid, you could also try the Volkl Fuego - I've just got some and they are awesome skis, although they need skiing rather than pootling around on. Carved turns are relatively easy on these skis, but they skill have controllable edges for when you need to scrape.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got the Dynastar's and I love them - they are quite reactive but not too skittish and quite forgiving which has helped a lot with my confidence - if you're thinking of getting them from EB then go to one at a snowdome and try them out!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
curry-queen, You might find it difficult to get hold of a pair to demo, but several of us on here have been pleased with Elan's Wave line of ladies skis, several of us ski a Wave Magic and if you want the top end the Speed Magic is supposed to have a bit more zing in it if you are good enough to find it (I'm not a good skier and I couldn't find the difference, but it is supposed to be there). Elan is rumoured to be going to the Manchester ChillFactore ski test session at the end of the month if you can make that you might be able to demo there. See the Snow Events threads for more info.
snow report
I have some Elan Wave Magics - they're great, but my original pair (160cms) was stolen and the replacements (long story) are 152 and really a bit short for me. I much preferred the longer ones I had originally. I was thinking about selling the shorter ones but can't remember off the top of my head whether they are in the UK or in France at this moment. Doh.
snow report
Dr George, Thanks - glad to hear that someone owns them and loves them. I am definitely trying them out at the MK snowdome the week after next. I can only demo a 153 when I think I would probably need a 148 but they should feel close enough. What length do you have and how tall are you? Do yours reach nose, eye or forehead level on you?

Megamum, pam w, Yes, I've read about the Elans and their website doesn't include any stockists in the UK or France. Are they commonly seen in France? If they are hard to get hold of I wonder whether that makes them more appealing to thieves.
snow report
curry-queen, I have burnin luvs and absolutely love them. I'm sure my skiing went up a notch this last season and I have been tackling black moguls more confidently in them ! Smile
snow report
curry-queen, it's odd about the non-availability of Elans. They sell them in our local ski shop in France - normally OK prices in there but Elans in France are far more expensive than they were here (when they were available). I think they were over 500 euros which is a bit ridiculous.
snow conditions
jan, Wow, I'm not sure if I'm as good a skier as you! I don't normally do blacks at all but am hoping to start trying some modest ones slowly. Also not so good at bumps so I need to learn that technique too. Now bumps and blacks together sounds rather daunting.
What level were you at before you tried the burnin luvs?
snow conditions
curry-queen, I'm going to buy some skis this season and the one's I'm looking at are Dynastar Exclusive Fluid. They have had excellent reviews and I've had hire Dynastar skis quite a few times and favoured them above K2s (don't ask why, I don't know, but just felt happier and more confident on the Dynastars). I took the view that, like mobile phones, I could look at masses and masses of different ones and never really get to try them all and end up in a dizzy circle. Am off to Tignes in a fortnight and will hire the Dynastar Fluids to try before I buy. I realise the way the pound is going that it means they will be more expensive than buying here, but I really do need to try before I buy or fear it could end up an expensive mistake. (I don't have time or live near a Snowdome in order to go and try some out).

Dr George, Out of interest, which Dynastars do you own? I've been recommended (by SCGB and an instructor I asked) the Fluid and also the Active. I'm an intermediate that's happier on reds/blues but am looking to improve and get quicker and more confident.
snow report
I've got the Active's - 153's (I'm 5ft 2ish and heavier than I should be) Shocked Before buying my ski's I regularly borrowed 145ish skis but when I demo'd skis to buy they only had the 150's but on trying them I found them fine and was advised that slightly longer than the 140's would be better. I did try the K2's too - I had a lot of friends who use these and like them, but somehow the Dynastars seemed to feel better.

I am not a particularly confident skier and these have really helped my confidence on the mountain - the Fluid's are the more Intermediate/Advanced. As I never intend to hesh down the mountain I reckoned the Actives would suit me better!
snow conditions
Dr George, I am encouraged to hear that the Actives have gained you confidence on the mountain as this is exactly what I am looking for. Are they good for carving? I intend to start off on Actives for a couple of days and then try the Fluids for a couple of days before deciding (we are out there for 2 weeks, so will have the second week get used to what I do buy properly and iron out any problems whilst there should there be any).

I'm a cautious intermediate that is looking to improve (am on Inspred to Ski course in a fortnight). Am never going to be a 'fast and adventurous' skier though I am hoping being confident will bring a little more speed to my skiing. I just want to be confident enough to know I can tackle steeps, bumps, ice etc., not hugely fast but competently and keep with the pack (if you see what I mean). My concern is I don't want a ski that I have to 'ski' or get faster on to appreciate which is a consideration with the Fluids. If I'm happy on the Actives I would like to know that they will still be good when I do improve as I don't want to be having to change them in a couple of seasons.

I'm 47, 5'6" and weigh 67k and am fit. SCGB advised I try 158 length. Also the ski hire company have said they refund the rental charges if you buy a set from them.
snow report
curry-queen, you're on the right track here. The best thing to do is demo if and when you can because many skis that are available to take you to the next level of skiing will have different properties that you may or may not like. The Burnin Luv is quite damp but not too damp, which will let you do what you want but won't give you much feed back. The Volkl will give you lots of "pop" which is fun but for some skiers that kind of feedback is distracting and unwanted. I love pop when I ski. Smile

I don't have experience with Dynastars but most women I talk to who've got the Exclusives really enjoy them. From what I understand, they are forgiving and allow you to feel the terrain without giving you too much feedback.

Hope this is useful information.
snow conditions
Quote:

My concern is I don't want a ski that I have to 'ski' or get faster on to appreciate which is a consideration with the Fluids. If I'm happy on the Actives I would like to know that they will still be good when I do improve as I don't want to be having to change them in a couple of seasons.

Bev - I think you will like the Actives - I haven't got to a stage where I feel they are limiting my skiing and I have improved quite a lot since I first got them. Staff where I bought mine had been out ski testing and they recommended I try them - I had gone in to try the K2's. Some of the more experienced staff said they really enjoyed the Dynastars - didn't find them too limiting. Give both sets and try and see what feels best.
snow report
curry-queen, GBR sports are the UK distributor for Elan skis - they have fairly close ties with Snowheads IIRC. See here:

http://websites.uk-plc.net/GBR_Sports/epage23677.htm

Graham there could probably help out if you wanted to source a set in the UK.

All the Elan Wave line skis were supposed to be quite sort after last season, and it was considered the 'done thing' to pay extra attention to looking after them if you owned a pair.

The top coat on last seasons ones wasn't impressive (blue flowers rolling eyes ), but this years top coat is much more stylish.

In terms of price the Wave Magics were still hitting the £400-£450 (GBP equivalent) mark in Val Thorens when I was there in April where they could be found for sale in several of the shops there.

The Wave Magic is a mid to top end intermediate ski - I've skied it during two holidays both as a v. nervous novice, and latterly as a much more confident improver to intermediate level - it has not been a problem to ski at either level. It has even produced the odd carved turn for me (though more by luck than judgement Laughing )

If you can get hold of a set of Wave Magics or Speed Magics I'd certainly put them on the test list at your described level.
ski holidays
curry-queen,

Stockli skis rock for piste skis for females. (I am told they are slightly more forward mounted hence suit women well)...

They have superb edging properties if this is what you want to work on... My friend describes the Stockli SC as having "ice claws". She hates race skis of any kind and yet loves this ski (as do I - and we are very different skiers). If you would prefer a little softer and more forgiving look at the (IIRC) Spirit IV(oops - looks like now might be spirit edition).

My fav ski for years was the Stockli World Cup SL and I love the GS ski I have now.

Elan SLX's are lovely skis - but you may need to grow into them a bit... The Volkl Racetiger GS is a superb ski for a woman or teen (lighter skier) - I love them to bits but you probaly don't want a GS ski just yet.

A race ski will be "harder" to ski - a little more demanding, but a detuned race ski (not super stiff) like the Stockli SC will also teach you much about your skiing - because you get out of them what you put into them.

Having said all that generally you will carve better with new technique than new skis! (the skis do not push your foot out to start that turn)

Have a look here for some ski instruction DVDs - better balance and edging skills will serve you well. The skis will help your confidence in the ski - which will help you trust your body. The training of the body movement will allow the body to deserve the trust by performing consistently correct movement patterns.[/url]
snow report
curry-queen wrote:
ickabodblue, Well I'm not exactly a size 8 myself! Did you choose your ski length based on height or weight? I am only 5'1" and so currently have a 146 ski but the catalogues tell you to go longer if you are heavier and my weight range suggests 150 - 155 but that would seem quite long and probably be at least forehead height.

Well I'm 5'2" and the shortest ski I own is an Elan SLX (FIS SLALOM SKI) in a 155cm. Most of my other skis are in the 165-168 range and my GS skis are all 175 or more... ie Most of my skis are longer than I am tall. Partly my type of preferred turn (longer radius) suits the extra length. Partly I was trained on a longer ski as they are a little more versatile in "interesting snow" than a shorty slalom. So my training was on slalom skis(to hold ice) but not at a slalom length. Then again as an aussie I was trained in some of the worst conditions you can imagine - I have skied pretty awful stuff on-piste and considered that an average day!

Remember in a longer ski the "steering part"(tip) is that much further away... get your hips forward to start those turns if you want the tips engaged. Otherwise you will start with the tail slide (push tail out) rather than starting with the tips pulling the ski edges along into that "carve track" you want to cut.

You can look at this video
http://youtube.com/v/2Fs2jkOA74o if you want to see the difference between the heel push and the carve. I think the demos are probably clean enough to see the difference.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr George, Thanks for your reply. Am really looking forward to trying them out Cool
latest report
little tiger, That is a really good video clip.
latest report
erica2004, Thanks Very Happy

Actually it was shot with our baby camera - just a handy cam we bought to use as a tape deck for capturing video to computer.

Have a look at this one of Fastman that is using a compilation of some of the footage from our DVDs
dvd sampler footage You can see the better camera produces cleaner images - even on youtube quality!

Fastman just had me ski some quick demos as he was trying to explain some concepts to various folks and wanted visuals that put the ideas he had across. It seems to click with a number of folks so it did the job!

[/url]
ski holidays
little tiger, fantastic drills. The only thing missing was FastMan skiing on one hand with his skis in the air.
latest report
Hurtle, I need to get him little outrigger glove things first Wink
ski holidays
little tiger, (second video clip) I would aspire to ski like that and have that balance and control. Two things - I noticed the skier slightly 'dragging' his uphill ski pole in the snow. A ski instructor in Lech told us to do this but when I mentioned on Snowheads it was totally poo-poo'd. What do you think? The other, the skier's downhill knee drops in a bit when he's
carving - mine does this and I don't seem to be able to lose it even though I can carve clean turns.
ski holidays
erica2004, The knee bit is a small alignment problem I think... He had a bit of work done last season but he has skied that way for 40+ years and it does not actually stop him doing stuff on skis. Can you tell us which bit of the video you are looking at?

Pole drag - a light drag can provide feedback - in much the same way as a light touch... IIRC you need to be careful not to allow it to rotate you (people often 'leave a hand behind' after planting a pole). I have often dragged one or both poles to aid balance. You need to be sure what you want to achieve with the drag - if you drag 'uphill' only are you sure your lateral balance remains balanced over the inside edge of outside ski? If not you may have a problem. Conversely if you are skiing on one ski you may choose to drag a pole to help you balance over the remaining ski.

If you are leaving thin sharp tracks with a clean transition - who cares - unless you want to go faster, or do something else. We spent 1 day skiing with our hands in all sorts of silly positions just to prove we could. You ski with feet. If the skis go exactly where you want - then good. If you want a bit better control then better think about what is causing the feeling that you want more control.

Let us know which part of the clip (either a drill name or the time into sequence) and maybe Fastman can explain better what he was doing.
snow report
little tiger, 2.42 mins in - the carving
latest report
I've remembered another outlet for Elan skis in the UK - my local ski shop does them Toofy Grin
Price now £320 for the Wave Magics

http://www.skee-tex.co.uk/elan/wave_magic.htm
snow conditions
curry-queen, to answer your question from above, I'm probably a pretty good skier (been skiing fro 20+ years) but always hated bumps and could never do them. 6 weeks in breck this year, with some tution and my new Burnin Luvs, I defintely went up a notch which IIhaven't done for years! I just felt so much more confident in them. They really seem to grip and I feel much more in control, My previous skis were head Intelligence, great skis but the Burnin luvs are better Razz
snow conditions
After all your great advice guys, I thought I'd let you know how I got on with the demos, in order of appearance:

Dynastar Exclusive Fluid (153) - these were fine, had a nice edge grip but I felt that the tips were trying to wander a little. I initially put this down to the fact they were a bit too long for me but it might have just been the ski. It's a shame I couldn't demo the 148 but not sure there would be too much in it.

K2 Burnin Luv (149) - Absolutely loved these and really surprised myself. I nearly didn't bother testing them as I thought they would be a bit too stiff and advanced for me, but no, they turned beautifully and bulldozed through everything whether it was groomed now, lumpy drifts or hard pack/icy patches. They felt so secure under my feet I started going much faster on them. My boyfriend said my technique and stance looked much improved on these. I thought it might be because I had now warmed up so I carried on with the next skis with a view to coming back to these.

Volkl Aire (154) (pink ones exclusive to Ellis Brigham) - they were skiable but felt quite flappy underfoot - I really had to slow down at one turn because I thought they were going to shoot off in different directions. They were very light compared to the others but maybe that's why they were flappy.

Back to the burnin luvs for the last half hour - really enjoyed these and although they are heavy and damp, they still have a bit of spring because they made me want to almost jump off of a little hump as I knew they would catch me the other side. I didn't really jump though, but the thought was there.

So I have now ordered the burnin luvs in the 149 which I think is a perfect length for me at 5'1" and 10.5 stone. I've got an Ellis Brigham voucher for 10% off so really pleased now.
latest report
curry-queen, One thing on the length, skis have no idea how tall you are, but they do know how heavy and aggressive you are. So it's more appropriate to choose length based on your weight and how aggressively you ski. Your height is largely irrelevant apart from the obvious general correlation between height and weight.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy